Texas Hunting Forum

Well, what else could I do?

Posted By: GimmeABuck

Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 03:08 AM

So a possum got whacked in a conibear that was really intended to catch coons that steal the corn. My fiancé happened to notice a little crying baby on the ground and brought it home to me. Fed it a little bit of puppy milk replacement and picked some fleas off it... realized I couldn't care for it. It surprised me by having a very friendly demeanor. It liked to be picked up (no worries, I actually do have my Rabies shots...) and I decided to go check mama's body for any others. Sure enough there was one more live one. After cleaning them up some and getting their temp up we took them to a wildlife rehab. I mean, what the hell else could I do? Turns out they're awfully cute when babies... We have now sprung all the traps and removed snares so no more babies will end up in this situation...

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 12:44 PM

They make interesting pets....
Posted By: Cast

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 12:50 PM

Yep. I went thru this with Little Billy Bad Bird. He didn't make it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 12:53 PM

I usually tried to avoid killing a possum, as they don't live very long anyway, but sometimes they can try your patience. You did the right thing IMO
Posted By: janie

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 12:56 PM

Girl, that's called having a caring heart and soul. up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 01:01 PM

Well played. up
Posted By: crosshare

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 02:03 PM

Wasn't you the one that killed all those jackrabbits but you take baby possums to a wildlife rescue?
confused2 wtf loco
Posted By: Cast

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: crosshare
Wasn't you the one that killed all those jackrabbits but you take baby possums to a wildlife rescue?
confused2 wtf loco

And you don't see a difference here?
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 02:45 PM

Good thing you did there.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 02:59 PM

yep
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
I usually tried to avoid killing a possum, as they don't live very long anyway, but sometimes they can try your patience. You did the right thing IMO

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Well done

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 10:13 PM

I was surprised by how docile they were, I figured they'd hiss or something. Nope, just hungry. I really did want to keep them but unsure of the legalities of that and really, I have no idea what I am doing. One of them choked a little on some milk replacement and it was clear I needed to hand them over to someone who wouldn't accidentally kill em. Man, they were cute. Sort of gave me a new appreciation for possums. Turns out the adults eat ticks, too. Didn't know that!

Crosshare, yep same one. The ranch belongs to a friend and he wants to get predators coming to one spot regularly, hence the need for jackrabbits. Plus, these were crying helpless baby possumsm the first of which was presented to me in a bucket. I don't see how killing a bunch of jackrabbits would negate the desire to help out some REALLY cute baby possums.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 10:26 PM

You did what your heart told you to do. it was the right thing to do. I bet it made you feel good. Just because you hunt doesn't mean you don't have compassion. up

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 10:36 PM

Jetdad, your last sentence sums it up entirely!
Posted By: Western

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/01/16 10:54 PM

We are hunters, should mean we are also stewards of what we enjoy.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/02/16 12:32 AM

Dirty egg eaters
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/02/16 12:39 AM

Good Luck
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/02/16 01:04 AM

Rabbits drink to much water and promote to many fleas
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/02/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Well played. up

Same kind of deal the other day for me. I was burning off some old hay and I heard some baby rabbits squeeking. I finally found them and was able to save one before the fire got to be too much. Took it in the house and gave it to the woman. Kept it about 5 days and it was doing great but then it died. I am 0 for 3 on trying to raise a baby cottontail. Woman always thinks I am heartless but every now and then I surprise her.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/04/16 12:26 AM

It is a wonderful thing to have compassion for almost all animals up I would bet a dollar against a dime there is more compassion for that possum because you posted it, had it been one of the guys you would have seen whip trout bang

Need Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies to put that Possum to good use grill

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 02:27 AM

Tdecker, it was a good thing you tried. I always found cottontails to be close to impossible to raise- even when we put them in with our domestic rabbits to nurse and keep their temps up. Really delicate little things.

I appreciate all the kind comments, and understand the others laugh I think I will take the wildlife rehab lady a donation and check on em soon.
Posted By: wtarush

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 04:52 AM

I do understand the "want to"... I lost my horse to EPM this winter so possum are at the top of my hit-list. I see they can be cute, but the sight of my morgan laying helpless on the frozen ground takes all the cuteness out of them for me.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: tdecker22
Well played. up

Same kind of deal the other day for me. I was burning off some old hay and I heard some baby rabbits squeeking. I finally found them and was able to save one before the fire got to be too much. Took it in the house and gave it to the woman. Kept it about 5 days and it was doing great but then it died. I am 0 for 3 on trying to raise a baby cottontail. Woman always thinks I am heartless but every now and then I surprise her.

You know any good possum stories?
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Well played. up

Yea I do but I might keep that one to myself. Haha good times
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 03:42 PM

I also agree with jetdad. You did the right thing for the right reason. up texas
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/05/16 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
Well played. up

Yea I do but I might keep that one to myself. Haha good times

up

Re: Well, what else could I do? - 04/06/16 02:40 AM

Wtarush, I'm sorry to hear about your horse. Terrible affliction and I understand your position totally.

I'm hoping wherever she eventually releases these little guys is a location where they won't pester people or be liable to get trapped/run over/whatever. There are many like them, but those were "my" possums, and I got a soft spot for em laugh
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum