Texas Hunting Forum

First Attempt at a Food Plot

Posted By: ZMS

First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/29/16 06:29 PM

I created a small food plot this spring to see if I can get some deer coming in. I have a very low deer population and hope this helps draw them in. I want to also get away from loud spin feeders because I think the big, smart bucks stay away from them. I planted 1/3 Tyrone soybeans, 1/3 red ripper cowpeas, and 1/3 iron and clay cowpeas. The plot is just about 1/2 an acre but I didn't want to waste a bunch of money if this doesn't help. Now I just need some rain and a little luck.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/29/16 06:39 PM

Looking good!!! Did you do a soil sample and fertilize or lime from the soil test?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/29/16 10:18 PM

Progress....
Posted By: Western

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/29/16 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1
Looking good!!! Did you do a soil sample and fertilize or lime from the soil test?

Seed inoculated?

Looks like a mighty fine seed bed you did. If there are deer there, you will know this fall with a oat/wheat plot.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/29/16 11:54 PM

cheers
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 12:05 AM

up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 12:05 AM

up
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 12:07 AM

way to go
Posted By: swmays

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 01:49 AM

Nice looking plot. I hope it comes in strong for you.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 12:21 PM

Good looking plot, if your out by PK you should have decent deer & Turkey in your area and the plot will draw them in up

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 01:50 PM

I wish now that I would have sent a soil sample in and got a fertilizer down. But I did inoculate the seeds. I used the N-Type on the cowpeas and Soybean inoculant on the soybeans. We got a good rain here this morning so I hope by next week I will have some sprouts coming up.
Posted By: corkys son

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 02:00 PM

Good looking plot. I used to put in food plots, but now with all the hogs having moved into our area, if we till it and plant it, the hogs just come in and destroy it. Good luck!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 02:05 PM

Pen a circle off in the middle off it that the deer cant get to.... im betting they eat it down pretty quick and that way youll be able to see the progress vs what they are eating

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: ZMS
I wish now that I would have sent a soil sample in and got a fertilizer down. But I did inoculate the seeds. I used the N-Type on the cowpeas and Soybean inoculant on the soybeans. We got a good rain here this morning so I hope by next week I will have some sprouts coming up.

You used the inoculate, so that will help a bunch. The bacteria will help those plants fix the nitrogen better and should do you a good job.

You can still get the soil sample anytime (before you do any treatments) then you will have an idea if you put in a fall plot.

Easiest DIY is found on this page through A&M, look on the bottom for the links "Submittal forms" and You probably want test form SP16 so you can note what crop you will plant (they will recommend fert. rates for that crop) Sample taking instructions are below the form on the same page. Then just mail it in with payment and you will know in 10- 14 days.

A&M link

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/
Posted By: .243 Man

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 03:33 PM

clap
Posted By: .243 Man

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 03:33 PM

clap
Posted By: redchevy

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 04:22 PM

Seed bed looks great... we never get ours that clean frown

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 06:16 PM

I had to go check it after this rain. Still looks really good but seemed to have a bunch of seed float to the surface. I realize that this is going to happen when you broadcast and drag, but I didn't expect to see as much seed as I do. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 06:16 PM

Thanks for the information Western. I will most definitely be doing a soil test now.

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/30/16 07:22 PM

Ideal you want most of the seed under the dirt, small seed needs to be closest to the top. Try to get a depth of 2-3 times the width of the seed as a rule. I usually make a final disk pass that leaves nice "grooves for seed to fall in, broadcast seed, then drag. You will always have some on top though doing it this way, why they recommend over seeding when broadcasting.

You may be surprised what a little rain and sun will do once the dirt settles around those seed some.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/31/16 02:08 AM

The seed did not float to the surface but rather the rain packed the soil down around it. It will sprout if you had enough rain to keep the ground moist for a couple of days. How much seed did you plant total?
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/31/16 01:09 PM

Excellent!

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 03/31/16 01:15 PM

The broadcast planting recommendations were 45-60# per acre and I planted 36# total being I planted almost 1/2 an acre. I am just thinking that there is more seed under the dirt than I think. I am learning a bunch through this process and from all y'all here on the Forum. Thanks for all the advice and help to all. I think next time I plant I should use a harrow to help get the seed in the ground better. It wouldn't take me long to build one.

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 04/12/16 02:14 PM

Two weeks later and I am having more and more seed come up. This rain sure does help.

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 04/12/16 02:40 PM

up
Posted By: swmays

Re: First Attempt at a Food Plot - 04/12/16 10:56 PM

The guys on THF have been a huge help for me as well. Much appreciated. Good luck with your plot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum