Texas Hunting Forum

A couple of Mamas baby sitting

Posted By: don k

A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/22/16 10:14 PM

Posted By: rickym

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/22/16 10:19 PM

Looks like you got a good healthy crop of kids there Don. Do you know the sex of them all yet?

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/22/16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym
Looks like you got a good healthy crop of kids there Don. Do you know the sex of them all yet?
The only one I know the sex of is the one here at the house I have on the bottle. And it is a she.
Posted By: rickym

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/22/16 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
The only one I know the sex of is the one here at the house I have on the bottle. And it is a she.

Oh, well that's probably not a good thing. Is it sick or something or are you making it a pet?
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/22/16 11:13 PM

Good girls!!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 01:27 AM

Great pic Don. Just love that area around Bandera. Good luck on the bottle feed kid, know from experience what a task it is.
Posted By: Stub

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 01:46 AM

Really nice picture, looks like a park up

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: don k

Oh, well that's probably not a good thing. Is it sick or something or are you making it a pet?
It was a twin and it could not keep up with the mother like the other one could. Found it lost a couple of times the day it was born so I figured I better not take a chance and took it.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub

This for sure.

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 10:30 AM

I really like the green in the photo as well Don! I hope it stays that way for a while!
Posted By: Western

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: bucksnbass357
Originally Posted By: Stub

This for sure.

Wish I has some of that rock around here, bet those critters are loving the green up.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 12:03 PM

Great photo! Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 12:15 PM

Great pic Don. up

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 07:30 PM

The bottle baby and the cat.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 08:27 PM

That cat hasn't missed many meals
Posted By: NMGW

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Hope the cat don't eat the baby ibex eeks333
Posted By: Western

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: NMGW
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Hope the cat don't eat the baby ibex eeks333

Probably be the end of the cat per Don k!!

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 11:10 PM

Baby getting a ride
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/23/16 11:24 PM

Great pics Don. Hope they all make it to adulthood.
Posted By: MikeTX

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 01:44 AM

Cute looking kids Don. I didn't realize they were that small when compared to the cat.

Looks like it's greened up in Bandera, hopefully it stays that way well into the summer.

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeTX
Cute looking kids Don. I didn't realize they were that small when compared to the cat.

Looks like it's greened up in Bandera, hopefully it stays that way well into the summer.
She is about a week old and has grown some. They are very small at birth and don't get along very well for the first day. Their survival mostly depends on how good the mother is. Some will stay with the kid or kids for a week or so and only leave them to get water or eat. Some leave them within a few hours and seem to forget where they left them. Some with twins will have one stronger than the other and the weak one cannot keep up and will get lost. That is what happened to this one.

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 10:36 AM

Don it must be a goat thing with the nannies. My old hunting buddy in west Texas has raised Boer goats for nearly 20 years now. He normally runs several hundred head of nannies with a few select billes all the time and sells show weathers every year. I went by the farm to visit him 2 weeks ago and noticed he had bought several hundred head of Dorper (sp) sheep. I laughed because he and I swore we would never own sheep after having worked together for several years at a local feed lot when we were still in school. He told me he was tired of always being stuck bottle raising kids because the nannies would abandon them. He told me the Ewes were much better mothers for some reason. He also said he had a lot of nannies that were great mothers but you can never tell with them! Oh well I learn something everytime I go back home!! I love the photos Don, keep em coming. Take care sir, Roland
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 10:58 AM

cheers
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 09:31 PM

They look great! I lost 7 out of 23 this year. Most we found the first day. If they make it 3 days usually they are fine. I already have mine out in the big pasture.

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/24/16 11:48 PM

17 alive and 2 dead so far. The best year in quite a while. Now if I don't have the worm problem like last year. Still a few more to go. I have one that I bottle raised. Two years ago a kid died inside her. I had to get the Vet. to get it out. She is big right now and looks to be twins. Hope it turns out good this time.
Posted By: Kimber1911

Re: A couple of Mamas baby sitting - 03/28/16 07:49 AM

They are cute little suckers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum