Texas Hunting Forum

Samantha's First Turkey

Posted By: BayouGuy

Samantha's First Turkey - 03/18/16 06:23 PM

I recently had the honor and privilege of guiding my 11 year old granddaughter Samantha on her first Turkey hunt. Sam is a great girl with a wonderful sense of humor. She’s very athletic and loves sports, especially baseball. I figured the time was right for a little Turkey Safari.

Here’s Sam with my 12 Gauge Pedersoli double caplock.

Beautiful girl/beautiful gun.

I thought you guys might enjoy a recap of the hunt, so here it is:

We loaded up in my little white Ford Ranger and headed out a little later in the day than you usually would for turkey, but I wasn’t much worried. We were heading to a spot where I’ve seen turkeys just about every time I’ve been there. Mornings, mid-day or afternoon – this place always seems to have birds.

I could tell by her grin that Sam was excited as we pulled into the parking lot. I was a little surprised at the number of other hunters out this time of the day, but told Sam to remain confident. Our hearts were hammering as we made our way down the aisle between the potato chips and pickles. But when I turned into the canned goods aisle Sam had a puzzled look on her face. “Grandfather” she said (she calls me Grandfather) “why are we walking so slow behind that lady with the big boobs and red dress?”

“Shush” I whispered, “the turkeys might hear you.” Then I quietly explained that it’s a well know fact among hunters that turkeys tend to congregate around big boobed women in red dresses, so I thought it might be a good idea to follow her for a while. I think Sam doubted me though, because she said “let’s go that way – I think the turkeys are over there.”

There was a definite drop in temperature as we approached the Northern limits of the hunting area. There were other hunters in the area, and I could see the consternation on their faces when I gave a few yelps, clucks and putts with my cedar box call. I think they were probably envious of the quality of my calling.

It wasn’t long before Sam spotted a group of turkeys. That little gal didn’t even hesitate selecting the one she wanted to take. It was over in a flash. The bird she took wasn’t the biggest one in the group, but still excellent for a first bird. She was calm as could be, but I was so proud I could hardly stop shaking. And, of course, you just have to take pictures after a successful hunt. Here’s Sam with her first bird.

Posted By: crosshare

Re: Samantha's First Turkey - 03/18/16 06:35 PM

rofl
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Samantha's First Turkey - 03/18/16 06:39 PM

Man, your funny! roflmao
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Samantha's First Turkey - 03/18/16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: crosshare
rofl
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Samantha's First Turkey - 03/19/16 01:31 AM