Texas Hunting Forum

Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 02:02 PM

She was shooting a 9mm Sig 239 for her first time and was nervous but she settled down and shot a decent score 227/250. I managed to shoot 250/250 but wasn't to impressed with the guy next to me shooting a Rossi revolver that sent more lead and powder out the sides than it did down range. I was shooting my old Loaded Springfield 45. Had what I consider 5 fliers but the way they score it didn't matter. If you'll notice Mrs. B did give her's one warning shot. She out shot all the other ladies that were there.

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 02:22 PM

Just an observation and a comment and I'll start with the comment. "Guy's don't get your wives/girlfriend little cutsey pistols thinking they can't handle compact or full size handguns unless you want to endanger them". 5 of the 7 ladies shooting were shooting little auto's and revolvers and most just barely qualified with a 175. They were really struggling from the back line. And another thing! The plastic S&W's were the worst performing pistols I've ever seen. Between failures to feed, horrible triggers and I might add just an overall junk feel to them. There was 9 S&W's there and none shot over 240 and 4 had FTF's. I might add that the boy's with the Kimbers didn't impress me either, out of 5 only one beat 245 and one had a FTF. Out of 40 the old man with the old Springfield was the only one to shoot 250/250.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 02:40 PM

Very interesting....and good shooting on y'alls part. Especially you! I did mine last week and used a S&W M&P 40 full size. It wasn't as tight a group as yours, but I shot a 250. My problem was seeing the dang thing, once it got out there a ways. I forgot eyewear and had to use my prescription sunglasses...indoors.

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 03:48 PM

Ours was outdoors with about a 20 mph wind blowing and that dang sure had an effect on the scores.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 06:12 PM

I would suspect that those FTF's were related to poor weapon maintenance and running dry pistols. Of course lots of folks limp wrist them too or show up with the cheapest ammo they could find. I agree, the triggers on those S&W's are pretty rough, but I haven't seen one FTF unless it was poorly maintained. 1911's are usually pretty prone to FTF's if not properly lubed and running high quality magazines.

Her pattern would likely tighten up significantly by better focus on the front sight. Great job.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 06:19 PM

Great lead slingin'
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/27/16 08:31 PM

I shot 250/250 with my M&P9 last month, will post pics Monday.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 12:28 AM

cheers
Posted By: bp3

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 02:51 AM

I'll keep my Kimber
rifle
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: bp3
I'll keep my Kimber
rifle
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 04:35 AM

cheers
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
5 of the 7 ladies shooting were shooting little auto's and revolvers and most just barely qualified with a 175. They were really struggling from the back line.

Agreed ^^^^^^^^^^^^

My Daughter carries a Para Carry 9.

But always shoots my Commander Length .45acp for her proficiency test. She has shot a 250 both times. She just prefers the larger pistol for qualification.

Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 05:31 AM

I think the Missus actually did a better job than you. She put an adequate number in the old ticker and then covered the other vitals, and then had a good dispersion to allow excellent overall drainage plus good shock. Heck, a bunch of your hits went through the same hole, nothing but air by then.

Just Joshing, both did great. My wife was the one who told me to buy my first Dillon because the old RCBS single stage was taking too much time even with both of us working together.

Tell the Missus that I do believe what you call a warning shot was when she shot that durn yakkity parrot off the fellows shoulder. clap
Posted By: SCone

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 02/29/16 07:09 AM

My wife always wanted to shoot her 22 over the 9mm..... but when she fired my 45acp..... all she said was, "Load me another magazine... this is fun"

She's gone now, but I recommend a 45acp for anymore... something about that big slow bullet makes it easy to handle for so many people...........
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 03/01/16 02:46 AM

Good shooting Mike. Hope all is well with you and the Mrs.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Mrs. B and I had to qualify last weekend. - 03/01/16 04:37 AM

Well done by the both of you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum