Texas Hunting Forum

Mount done...any thoughts

Posted By: DoubleTrouble

Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:44 AM

Daughters deer is finally done. What are your thoughts on the mount?

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:55 AM

Nice up
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:01 AM

The two pictures next to each other made me laugh...in the top one he looks very sad, in the bottom looks like he's smiling.
Posted By: Mas Cabeza

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:12 AM

The mount appears to be of good quality. The one pinned/one flat ear is a different look, but I personally would have swapped the ear positions. His right side protrudes out further than the left, so tucking the right ear makes it lopsided in my opinion. Still a beautiful buck anyway you mount him. Congrats to her!
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:17 AM

the way the antlers come into the fur doesn't look right to me? But a nice buck for sure! Congrats to her!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:20 AM

I like the ear positions.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:21 AM

It a fine looking mount to me. Congrats on a very nice deer.
Posted By: raiderJ

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:23 AM

Nice mount... Bet that was a beast on the hoof

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:24 AM

Looks the same to me.

Posted By: bone

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:49 AM

From the pic in the field it sure looks like the form used was not the correct size. Has a huge neck in the dead pic.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 12:11 PM

I think it looks very nice and natural. I think the taxi did a great job. up

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 01:02 PM

Thanks Pitchfork.

Taxidermist is one of the best in the state....always top in masters. I let him set everything the way he wants.....after all, he is the expert. As far as off set ears.....it's a natural look.....see cam of same deer. Almost every pic I had of him, he was that way. i couldn't be happier w the caliber of work.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 01:18 PM

Great looking buck. And an absolutely beautiful young lady.
Posted By: Hunter-Boss

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 01:47 PM

[ cheers quote=Pitchfork Predator]I think it looks very nice and natural. I think the taxi did a great job. up [/quote]
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
The two pictures next to each other made me laugh...in the top one he looks very sad, in the bottom looks like he's smiling.

I thought he looked sleepy in the first pic, but sad works too. Sad, it's a great buck, but the taxidermist didn't do it justice.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:05 PM

I love it! I think the taxi did a great job. I really like the ears being swiveled back a bit...the ears straight forward mount is way too common. This one looks like a deer looks in the field.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bone
From the pic in the field it sure looks like the form used was not the correct size. Has a huge neck in the dead pic.

I thought that at first, too. But if you look at the position of the deer's body in the 'after shot' picture and try to imagine it on the wall, the deer would have his nose pointing to the ground nearly. If a big guy held my their head similarly, my their chin almost disappears into my their neck and it makes it look wider than if they were holding their head up straight. grin

I think the ear position helps offset that more narrow main beam. I will give one more up on the ears. If we had a 'like button' I'd tap that again too. Congrats to your daughter.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus

I thought he looked sleepy in the first pic, but sad works too. Sad, it's a great buck, but the taxidermist didn't do it justice.

agree... lots of deer left out.... other than that its a great buck and not a terrible mount at all just didn't size up to the dead pic
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:47 PM

the ears on my mount from last year are offset a little too (less than that), but I think it looks good, great looking buck up
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 02:55 PM

Looks pretty good to me with one exception. I've never seen a whitetail with its scalp growing that high over the burrs of the antlers.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Looks pretty good to me with one exception. I've never seen a whitetail with its scalp growing that high over the burrs of the antlers.

It looks the same as the pic of her holding it. confused2
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

yeah seems more common with Northern deer

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:39 PM

I agree....that's why I posted it....for the internet experts.

Here is her buck from last season......I went opposite on this years mount as she will have a trophy room of her own before she goes to college.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: DoubleTrouble

I agree....that's why I posted it....for the internet experts.

Here is her buck from last season......I went opposite on this years mount as she will have a trophy room of her own before she goes to college.

I'm no internet expert on taxidermy work, though I do have 40+ whitetail mounts. And I can't see any photos other than the two posted at the top of the OP. I've killed 7 trophy deer in Iowa and none of them had scalps like that. If that's how it looked when she killed it, then I'd say you got some good work.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 03:54 PM

Each deer is different.....as is each taxidermist. I zoomed the pic in a bit.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:00 PM

Agree, none of mine look exactly the same. They all look like they did when killed. That comes with museum quality taxidermy. I'd say your daughter's buck looks to be of that same quality right down to his scalp, now that I can see the harvest photo.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:08 PM

Fouzman...he's one of the best in the Midwest.....he used wife's buck as a national competition piece and did very well. Where did you hunt in Iowa?

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:10 PM

Timberghost Ranch.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:17 PM

Nice....my taxidermist is just north of there. He lives outside of Columbus junction.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:23 PM

I do not like the ears at all being pined back. But that is only my opinion about it. All my bucks have the ears in an alert position. I also agree with some that the neck in the photo was swollen from being in a rut and the mount it is skinny.
However all aside, your daughter got a wonderful buck and I am sure that the memories of that hunt will last two lifetimes.....hers and yours.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:36 PM

Ears on a mount are personal preference.....but take a look at trail cams and you will find deer will have ears back a majority of the time. I have a few mounts on alert. However, those were earlier mounts I had done. Her are a few others w ears back.

Posted By: heredeer

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 04:43 PM

He has "the look" good job !
Posted By: Classic Rocks

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 07:28 PM

Ears back is a preference of mine especially when you have several existing mounts with the deers ears in an alert position.
Great looking mount. Great!
Posted By: TAT

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 07:46 PM

I like it. Looks like yall have a hell of a trophy room!
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 08:34 PM

I'd hang that buck on my wall in a second, great buck.... and I LOVE the mount "even the ears". up

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TAT
I like it. Looks like yall have a hell of a trophy room!

Thanks....that's a few of ours. I have been blessed that my wife and daughter both love to hunt.
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/03/16 11:05 PM

Very good buck she should be hooked for life now! The mount looks good.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 02:29 AM

Congrats to you and your daughter. I like the mount, and the fact that you and your daughter share a passion. My son and I are avid kayak anglers, so we're both lucky fathers.

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: B_Rod
Congrats to you and your daughter. I like the mount, and the fact that you and your daughter share a passion. My son and I are avid kayak anglers, so we're both lucky fathers.

I agree 100%!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 12:59 PM

Looks the same to me.

Congrats to your daughter, her smile says it all cheers

Cool looking mounts, ears forward and back both look great, way to mix it up. Also that one with the snow on it is a very nice touch up

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Looks the same to me.

Congrats to your daughter, her smile says it all cheers

Cool looking mounts, ears forward and back both look great, way to mix it up. Also that one with the snow on it is a very nice touch up

That smile and her harvesting that deer made everything else this year a bonus!

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 04:22 PM

DT-

You asked the peanut gallery about their thoughts on your mount; what are yours? Do you like it, or is there something up that we are missing?

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 05:29 PM

Wanted opinions on it. Always curious to see what others look for/expect in a mount.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 06:00 PM

Pictures often are not flattering. Never seem to capture the full effect.

The buck looks professional and well done. You should be proud. I would be.

Now if I can just figure out out how to take a picture without accenting my double chin.

Congratulations up
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 06:09 PM

Nice!
Posted By: victor454

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/04/16 09:25 PM

happy3
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: Mount done...any thoughts - 02/05/16 12:39 AM

Very nice cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum