Texas Hunting Forum

When a Coyote gets to your deer before you!

Posted By:

When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 03:11 PM

Left my deer sitting 2 hours and look what happened! Little bastard walked up on me while i was quartering him up and had to chase him off with a stick! (left my bow at my stand) AAAND YES he was a spike, the other antler was unbranched.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 03:15 PM

Surprising how fast they can get on them. Had two hunters this year have the same thing happen. One was in Kansas and the yotes cleaned it completely over night. The other one was in an area with relatively few coyotes. His deer hadn't laid for more than 45min and he ran 3 coyotes off of it when he went to recover.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 03:18 PM

Looks like they gutted it for you!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 03:27 PM

Dang looks like he got just a little backstrap
Posted By: rickym

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 03:30 PM

That's why you should carry a pistol.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 04:06 PM

When a Coyote gets to your deer before you, he needs to pay.
Posted By: kry226

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 04:18 PM

I had a nice pack of yotes beat me to my doe one night. It was a perfect storm as I'm trailing her through some thick stuff. Lantern runs out of fuel. Pull out the flashlight and a few yards later it goes dead on me. Not 10 seconds later a bunch of yotes light up only 30 yards away from me.

Not gonna lie, I bolt with a quickness.

I come back the next day to find my doe exactly where the yotes lit off the night before. Stripped clean as a whistle. realmad
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 04:19 PM

That flat out SUCKS!!!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 05:12 PM

Amazing how fast they can clean one up...
Posted By: redchevy

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 05:16 PM

Every time we have dumped guts this year there are no signs of it left the next morning.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 05:36 PM

That stinks. I have seen them leave nothing but a skull In a few hours.

He is not a spike though. A spike is both sides unbranched. That deer would not be legal in the extended spike/doe season unless a kid took it.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 06:04 PM

That is a bummer, waste of good venison. Hate yotes nearly as much a rattlesnakes.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 06:51 PM

All my dealings with deer eating Coyotes have been overnight
Posted By:

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 07:38 PM

He didn't hurt any of the meat, ate a small chunk of backstrap and that was it. Funny, all that good meat, and all he wanted was the guts...
Posted By: TxHunter18

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

He is not a spike though. A spike is both sides unbranched. That deer would not be legal in the extended spike/doe season unless a kid took it.
wrong
Posted By:

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 08:56 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/white-tailed-deer

As long as one side is un-branched he is legal.

Special Antler Restrictions

Antler restrictions apply only in certain counties (see County Listings). In these counties, the bag limit is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. In these counties, a legal buck deer is defined as having:
a hardened antler protruding through the skin AND;
at least one unbranched antler; OR
an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler).

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: deftsound

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/animals/white-tailed-deer

Antler restrictions apply only in certain counties (see County Listings). In these counties, the bag limit is two legal bucks, but only ONE may have an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. In these counties, a legal buck deer is defined as having:
an inside spread measurement between main beams of 13 inches or greater (does not apply to a buck that has an unbranched antler).

Does age of hunter ever enter the equation at all?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

Nope....
Posted By: kdub

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 09:47 PM

You'd think a wanna be green pants would read his outdoor annual.
Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 10:12 PM

I can assure you this is not a legal spike in Kimball County since we do not fall under the special antler restriction guidelines.
Posted By: kdub

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/02/16 10:33 PM

Hmmm. I stand corrected. Thank you.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/03/16 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Sugars Pop
I can assure you this is not a legal spike in Kimball County since we do not fall under the special antler restriction guidelines.

wtf
Posted By: txshntr

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/03/16 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: brew0216

wrong

This discussion has been on here before. There is a difference between the definition of a spike (legal to shoot in the extended season) and a deer with an unbranched antler (antler restrictions, not during the extended season).

TPWD
Quote:
A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/03/16 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

Nope....

Yes it does in the 2 week extended season. A youth may take whatever is legal in the extended season that is legal In the regular season. An adult can't. I just mentioned this is not a spike in case it was taken in the extended season which is spikes only, not unbranched on one side like in the normal regular season. Lots of folks don't know that until they read the TPWD fine print. It can be confusing until you see the word SPIKE only for extended when you pull up your own counties regs. One must look up their specific county to know their regs. In mine this is not a legal buck after the first Sunday in Jan. I have no idea when and where this was taken but might save someone a headache down the line if you are hunting the Late Season Spike & Antlerless Only and think unbranched on one side is considered Spike.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/03/16 12:05 PM

At least it left you most of the good meat. up
Posted By: don k

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/03/16 12:54 PM

Looks like some folks have some predator control to do during the off season.
Posted By: Stub

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/04/16 01:22 PM

Bummer, had that happen to my sons first deer he shot bang
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/10/16 12:08 AM

The yotes of this world owe you or maybe you owe them! Start packin' a handgun.
Posted By: Western

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/10/16 03:19 AM

eeks333
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/10/16 03:29 AM

[/quote]

Does age of hunter ever enter the equation at all?[/quote]

Nope.... [/quote]

Yes it does in the 2 week extended season. A youth may take whatever is legal in the extended season that is legal In the regular season. An adult can't. I just mentioned this is not a spike in case it was taken in the extended season which is spikes only, not unbranched on one side like in the normal regular season. Lots of folks don't know that until they read the TPWD fine print. It can be confusing until you see the word SPIKE only for extended when you pull up your own counties regs. One must look up their specific county to know their regs. In mine this is not a legal buck after the first Sunday in Jan. I have no idea when and where this was taken but might save someone a headache down the line if you are hunting the Late Season Spike & Antlerless Only and think unbranched on one side is considered Spike. [/quote]

correct sir! This is one of the most common mistakes, especially after AR's went into effect.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/10/16 04:08 AM

I have never had a coyote beat me to a deer. But I have had to shoo off caracaras in just a few minutes. I even had a caracara land on a coyote before I could pick up my gear and get to him.
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 02/10/16 07:24 PM

The deer in the picture is a buck deer, not a spike buck deer. As others have said, if he was taken during late spike/doe season by anyone other than a youth... he was taken illegally. It seems that many of you are confusing the definition under Special Antler Restrictions of a legal “buck deer” with a “spike buck deer”. The regulations state specifically that a spike “is a buck with no antler having more than one point” and then it goes on to define a legal point as a point of at least 1”.

From the TPWD outdoor annual:
Definitions
A "buck deer" is a deer with a hardened antler protruding through the skin. A "spike buck deer" is a buck with no antler having more than one point. All other deer are antlerless deer. A spike buck must be tagged with a buck deer tag from the hunter's hunting license or applicable permit.

I’d be careful about publicizing this on here because you might find out the hard way that this is not a spike.
Posted By: xxBRADxx

Re: When a Coyote gets to your deer before you! - 03/12/16 08:15 AM

Least he didn't do more damage than that. Nice harvest on the spike. I love to be in the woods amongst it all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum