Texas Hunting Forum

Meat hunt with Rocky Ridge

Posted By: TCB

Meat hunt with Rocky Ridge - 02/01/16 04:20 PM

We headed down to Rocky Ridge Outfitters near Glenn Rose this weekend for a meat hunt...the walk in cooler wasn't big enough for the animals we laid down. We finished the trip with 2 cull bull elk for the boys, 3 cow elk, eland bull, beautiful axis in velvet and a fallow doe. Both of the boys used my 6.5 Creedmoor with the new Hornady ELD-X bullets to take their elk, which performed as advertised. I'll forever have the memory of both boys making great shots on their elk. My son got a FitBit from Grammie right before we left on the trip. His heart rate went from the low 80's right before the shot to 130 right after..pretty cool to see that adrenaline rush captured. My Dad came in from Tennessee and took his first elk Friday afternoon as well to check that off the bucket list.

We came across a cow oryx they wanted taken out by the time I made the decision to take her, she disappeared on us for the rest of the weekend. I was able to take a beautiful spotted fallow doe with my Dad and son with me. The guides know the ranch, where the animals should be headed and worked flawlessly together to get all of us the animals we wanted. Wes also runs a taxidermy service and we loaded him up with euro mounts, hide tanning and shoulder mounts on the eland and axis.

I can't recommend the ranch and the guides enough. Huge thanks to Chris, Wes and Justin!!!!! They are 1000% professionals, great people to be around, hunt with and we will be back!!!!

Posted By: Fitzwho

Re: Meat hunt with Rocky Ridge - 02/02/16 02:45 AM

Looks like a solid weekend.
Posted By: booger

Re: Meat hunt with Rocky Ridge - 02/02/16 01:32 PM

Heck of a freezer filler too!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum