Texas Hunting Forum

Antler damage

Posted By: SapperTitan

Antler damage - 12/21/15 05:54 AM

Had this buck sow up behind the house looks like he broke his antler at the base of his skull. My question is, will he still grow an antler on that side or is the damage permanent? Never seen one like this before so just curious.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 05:58 AM

It would depend on how bad the damage to the pedicle is. Many times when you see pics of deer with odd growths out of their head or even out of their eye, it is from this. Next year will depend on how it heals back, but I don't believe it will be normal.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 11:14 AM

Bummer I wonder if it effects his eating, does that forward antler hinder his eating off the ground confused2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 01:15 PM

Looks to me like he just knocked it off (almost) rubbing and sparring because the pedicle looks normal and so does the antler growth. I bet it falls off soon and he grows a normal set again.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 01:31 PM

It appears to have broken the skull under that pedicle, since the pedicle/antler is facing forward. That broken skull will grow back together and he will shed that side. It will more than likely grow an abnormal side on that side from now on. I would bet, if you see him running that side will be moving around. The skin is all that is holding it in place. Seen this a few times over the years and almost all of the bucks end up with a NT side.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 03:19 PM

Definitely looks like the whole antler is broken. ^^^ this.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Antler damage - 12/21/15 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
Definitely looks like the whole antler is broken. ^^^ this.

Had one like that and he had to eat with his head extremely cocked to one side ...never shot him and its almost like he knew he was protected..he would bed down sometimes under the stand bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum