Texas Hunting Forum

Is he in the rut?

Posted By: EddieWalker

Is he in the rut? - 11/03/15 10:26 PM

Hopefully he will stick around and my wife will get a chance at him. His tracks are all over the place and it looks like there was quite a fight on one of my roads. His neck looks swollen. I'm thinking he is in full rut. Am I right?

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/03/15 10:43 PM

If his hocks are stained good then he is ready, the does might not be just yet though. I would shoot him on my place in a heart beat. Great looking buck. Keep the does around and he will stay there. deer2
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/03/15 10:59 PM

I don't know if he's in the rut, but good luck on a great looking buck!
Posted By: Western

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/03/15 11:35 PM

I think they technically can bee "ready" year round?? Looks odd to me? could be the angle, but not even swelling. Absolutely beautiful antler though, something she can sure be proud of if given the chance.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/03/15 11:42 PM

Great looking buck! Gotta ask what the feeder in the background is for? Minerals? Rice bran?
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:01 AM

Looks like he's ready. Nice buck. Good luck to your Wife.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:05 AM

aim
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:21 AM

Outstanding buck I hope she ground checks him. up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Outstanding buck I hope she ground checks him. up
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:32 AM

Is it just me or does it look like that buck is slurping up that mud puddle in the third pic? Is that a prerut activity?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Grosvenor
Is it just me or does it look like that buck is slurping up that mud puddle in the third pic? Is that a prerut activity?

No it is you..put the bottle down slowly and look again closely grin
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 12:59 AM

Nice buck up
I hope your wifes gets a chance at him.
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 01:20 PM

Love those chocolate horns
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 01:44 PM

Hate to say it but I would fight my wife over who got to shoot that bad boy....of course we know who would win. I mean who wants to do their own cooking and wash the dirty clothes.....mama didn't raise stupid.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 01:48 PM

I don't think it matters. He's in your shooting lane!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 01:55 PM

Doesn't really matter to me. I wish he were in my pasture.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Is he in the rut? - 11/04/15 02:17 PM

The top picture doesn't show his rack as good as the other pics, but it does show a small kicker that will probably be a drop tine next year. Or at least that's what I'm thinking. He is definitely one of the better bucks I've seen this year and I think he is a buck we only saw on camera once last year. I thought his neck looked swollen in the other pics, but wasn't sure and appreciate your comments.

The other pics show where we spread Deer Cain Black Magic powder. It was a low spot in my food plot, and since we started using it towards the end of last season, they have been very steady there every night. I would guess that we have about a dozen deer using it. Some daily, others come and go. The hogs ignore it, and since fencing off the corn feeder, we rarely see any hogs in this area.

In the first picture you can also see the remains of the Deer Cain block. This has proven to be a total waste of money. There are no pictures of anything using it, and no tracks next to it. It just wears away from the rain.

The wood feeder is a new idea that I had to try feeding the deer All Feed, a 13% feed that we give to our horses. The horses go crazy for it and over time, we've found that our pig, our goats and the ducks all love it too. We've gone from buying four different types of feed to just this. At $6 for a 40 pound sack at Atwoods, it's proven to be the best deal out there. So far, the deer have ignored it. I might have even scared them off with it, but I'm not sure because all the acorns have dropped from that huge storm we got last week. 5 1/2 inches in one night, plus another five inches since then.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum