Texas Hunting Forum

CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!!

Posted By: JCB

CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 08:58 PM

I know some of yall like stories so here you go. For those that just like the pictures there are a few of those as well.

The story of Cinco Grande actually started last year. Opening morning of rifle season 2014 I saw him for the first time and he was a 6 point at that time. He was no doubt king of the hill! Any buck that came around he would either run them off or whip their tail if they wouldn’t leave when he approached. I talked to the lease manager about him since we are allowed one cull and one trophy and he pretty much gave everyone the green light to take him out if they saw him even though our cull system is really centered around spikes.

Later in December one of the other lease members saw him and took about a 200 yard shot at him but never found him or any blood. At that same time I also quit getting trail cam pics of him so I had just about assumed that the hunter had wounded him and he went off and died somewhere. About Christmas time he showed up on my trail cam again and there was no signs of a wound at all however he never showed himself in person the rest of the season.

Fast forward to August 2015 and I go out and set up my cameras and start the feeders. About a month later I check the cards and he was back only this time as a huge 5 point. Later in October I sent the pics to our lease manager to show him what he looked like this year and to make sure he was still on the hit list before I tried to hunt him. He gave me the green light so I added him to my hit list for this year.

It wasn’t until the morning of the 27th that I got my first glimpse of him. It was shortly after day light and I heard some running directly behind my ground blind. I kind of struggled to look through the brush I was using for camo when I saw 2 Does go running across the small opening to my right hand side and right behind them was Cinco Grande going after them. After he chased them for about 75 yards he turned and came back towards me so I got ready. He had other plans though. He passed within 30 yards of me and went right back to where he came from never giving me a shot at all. I was sick!!

Determined not to let him beat me this year I kept hunting him and all but gave up on trying to get my top buck on the hit list.

The afternoon of the 30th I climbed into the same little brush blind and got settled in. I had seen several Does and a young 10 point but no signs of Cinco. I could hear lots of thunder to the west so I pulled up radar on my phone and could see I was right on the edge of some really nasty storms. I started to put a plan together on what to do if the storms did in fact hit and sure enough they did. When the sprinkles started I made a mad dash for my rifle box about 75 yards away and waited the storm out in there. It came an absolute FLOOD for about 25 minutes complete with marble size hail and gusty winds. Once it cleared out I ran back to the ground blind to sit for the last 45 minutes of daylight with high hopes.

After the storms it was dead calm and all you could hear was the water dripping from the trees. After about 10 minutes back in the blind I could hear the unmistakable sounds of hoofs sloshing through the mud behind me and 4 doe appeared and bringing up the rear was the same young 10 point I saw earlier. They kind of ran around for a little while longer and two more yearling bucks joined in as well. Shortly before 7pm they all focused their attention to the west so I took a peak through the brush and could see Cinco Grande closing in on them from about 50 yards away. With my heart about to beat out of my chest I scrambled to get the crossbow into position before he busted all the Does out of there and was gone. As the Does started to break up he passed in front of my blind quartering away right at 30 yards which is my personal max distance for a crossbow. Fully expecting him to string jump me at least a little I decided to shoot as if he were really about 25 yards. The Slick Trick found its mark and he took off like a rocket! As he got near the ranch road he slowed down and started to stumble but still made it to the brush before I saw him tip over. I gathered all my stuff and since I wasn’t 100% positive that he had really gone down over there I recocked the bow and gave him about 15 minutes before trying to trail him.

I went to the spot where he was when I shot and only found a small amount of blood but then again everything was flooded so it would have been hard to see anyway. I started to make my way over to where I thought I saw him go down and didn’t find anything for about 10 minutes. At that point I was getting concerned so I went back to the road so I could look back towards the blind and get my bearings on where I thought he entered the brush. As I got back to the road I saw a small buck standing in the road looking back into the brush just a little bit south of where I was at. I figured he had to be looking at something pretty darn interesting for him to be ignoring me so I walked over there and sure enough there he was about 20 yards off the road.

When I walked up to him I was shocked at how big of a body he had!!! I have no idea how much he weighed but he was enormous for our area and by far the biggest bodied deer I have ever taken in my life. I had the deer at 5.5 years old based on my history with him and game cam pics, but he could easily be older.

Now you might think this story would end right there but it doesn’t. You see earlier in the day we went to town to get a few groceries and before we left camp I put the truck in 4 wheel drive. It engaged fine but once we were on more solid ground I went to put it back into 2 wheel drive and the shifter was as loose as the change in my pocket. At that point I was stuck in 4x4 and no way was I going to drive to town that way so I climbed up under the truck to check out the issue and noticed my linkage rod had fallen off. I looked on the side of the transfer case and could see the lever it was suppose to attach to and I tugged on it by hand and got the truck back into 2x4 mode. After that I back tracked to see if I could find the rod and found it about a ½ mile back in the road. What had happened is the rubber groments that hold it in place had weather cracked and rotted over the years and caused the linkage rod to fall out at the worst possible time.

Like I said earlier we had a FLOOD come through while I was in my stand and with the warm weather I wasn’t sure the deer would be safe to leave hanging over night so I called the processor in town and explained to them the situation with the warm night, the muddy roads and my 4x4 quiting when I needed it most and asked them what they thought about leaving him hanging overnight. He said I probably needed to get it to town ASAP so I crawled back under the truck and wrestled the transfer case back into 4 wheel drive in the sloppy red mud and off we went. We ended up rolling into town after 9pm and I cant thank the guys at B&K processing enough for staying there waiting on me to show up!!! I am sure they had better things to do on a Friday night than to wait for one guy with incredibly bad luck to show up with a deer. LOL

Yep he is just a 5 point to some people but he is much more than that to me! I get way more thrill out of bagging a smart old fully mature 5 point than some young 10 point. Of course when you tell your friends that you shot a 5 point but passed on multiple 10 points they might laugh but the jokes on them.

When you find your arrow and see this much blood its hard to imagine how it could get any better unless its still in the deer.

Was really surprised to see this from a Slick Trick. You can see one of the blades sheared off at some point during penetration.

The arrow sliced through the top part of his heart and as you can see he was spraying everywhere.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:07 PM

Great write up!!! That is a monster. The only thing better would have been if I was there to see him in person cheers
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:09 PM

Nice! I always enjoy your write ups. up
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:09 PM

Great story, and he's a hoss.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:15 PM

Nice mature buck with a very kool story... up
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:17 PM

up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:18 PM

cheers up texas
Posted By: Savage388

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:27 PM

Yeah he's full grown! Did the bolt exit his neck?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:48 PM

Awesome buck

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Savage388
Did the bolt exit his neck?

Yes. He was quartering away and I hit him behind the opposite shoulder and it came out his neck.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:05 PM

Amazing how tuff they can be. Great pics and story as usual. Congrats on getting the best of an old mature warrior!

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:08 PM

I think that is the first write up I have read where you didn't shoot a pig rofl
Posted By: texretvet

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:18 PM

up
Posted By: Western

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:20 PM

Outstanding history, story and buck. Congrats. cheers
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:21 PM

Well done!
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:23 PM

Awesome buck AND story!
Posted By: TCB

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:26 PM

Love an old 5 or 6ptr....great job!!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:28 PM

Great story and a great buck. Congratulations.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 10:43 PM

Yep, thanks for posting and congrats! I have a big old 6 point, I hope we get him this year!

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
I think that is the first write up I have read where you didn't shoot a pig rofl

Well this might be the first time I have spent any length of time out there and didn't see one. roflmao
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:33 PM

What a trophy. HUGE buck flehan. Great write up too.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:40 PM

Dude.....congrats. What a deer, loved the story too. cheers
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:41 PM

cheers
Posted By: Bowhunt Only

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:46 PM

I'm surprised to see that sheered blade from a slick trick as well. It must have hit something REALLY hard inside there!

Great story, great buck!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/01/15 11:50 PM

Congrats on that beast, he doesn't look like a meal was ever missed. Agree with you about mature bucks being trophys no matter what the rack looks like
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 12:28 AM

Great write up and awesome buck! He's a stud, congrats on getting him!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 12:37 AM

Great buck to kill, great story.

Glad I logged in tonight. Got me all fired up for my hunt this weekend.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 01:38 AM

Great story and congratulations!

That is a horse!
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 01:43 AM

Nice buck! Good write up..
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 01:56 AM

Awesome story, congrats!
Posted By: tlk

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 01:58 AM

congrats great deer
Posted By: txshntr

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:02 AM

Great story and Great buck!!! I really like them old war horses and a good story makes it even better. Thanks for sharing

True trophy up
Posted By: MarkG

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:04 AM

That's a cool old buck. Way to stay after the goal. Well done write up.
Posted By: Judd

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:14 AM

What a monster...congrats.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:17 AM

Bull of the woods! I bet he was boss.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:20 AM

Nice pig!!! Congrats!!
Posted By: Big W

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:30 AM

Great old buck! I bet you drive a dodge. I have had the same thing happen with the shifter linkage. It pays to buy an extra grommet or two and keep in the glove box. It also pays to tie the linkage up with a little cable so you don't loose it.

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Big W
Great old buck! I bet you drive a dodge. I have had the same thing happen with the shifter linkage. It pays to buy an extra grommet or two and keep in the glove box. It also pays to tie the linkage up with a little cable so you don't loose it.

LOL! You are correct. Did some research and found that a lot of manufactures use the same type of linkage set up though due to frame flex when off road. The rubber grommets are suppose to allow for some flex as well as prevent the rattle that would happen without it. I do plan on coming up with a retainer of some kind to keep from ever losing it again though. Looks like the whole linkage assembly with grommets is less than $40 so not a big deal other than the fact it happened at the worst time possible.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:45 AM

Enjoyed the read, congrats!! up
Posted By: NDN98

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:23 AM

Nice 5 point
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 02:40 PM

What a stud of a buck, that dude is huge. Love the story.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:21 PM

Great story!!
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:23 PM

Glad the owner let you cull him, he's really cool! Congrats!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:32 PM

Brute! Well done thanks for sharing.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
What a stud of a buck, that dude is huge. Love the story.

up
Congratulations
Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 03:46 PM

Great write up and great mature buck to take out! Well played JCB!

cheers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 04:53 PM

Great story and write cheers even if you sunk to all time low and used a crossbow in archery season peep grin
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 05:07 PM

Big old pile of deer meat. Congrats!
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 05:24 PM

Awesome! Congrats. Beautiful old mature buck.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 05:26 PM

Straight up toad! Great job JCB! up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 05:39 PM

Congrats that dude is a hoss
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 06:45 PM

NICE ONE MAN!
Posted By: jrs_39

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:08 PM

That's awesome that crossbows have opened up archery to everyone. How do you release the trigger? With your mouth or feet?
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
Originally Posted By: texretvet
up
Posted By: East

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Straight up toad! Great job JCB! up

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39
That's awesome that crossbows have opened up archery to everyone. How do you release the trigger? With your mouth or feet?

Really?

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jrs_39

Are u saying you can't see my arms?? grin
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:51 PM

Thanks for sharing, super buck and story.

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/02/15 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great story and write cheers even if you sunk to all time low and used a crossbow in archery season peep grin

Hey its low fence so its not full blown cheating! bolt

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/03/15 12:00 AM

Thanks everyone. I can honestly say I was as happy with this buck as just about any buck I have ever killed. Its frustrating at times hunting one specific deer but its all worth it when the plan comes together.

Next up is a 12 year old 8 point that has outsmarted me since I first saw him in 2007. After he spotted me then I didn't see him again until last year around Christmas time after I had already taken my buck. He has been no stranger to the game cams though. With a whole lot of luck yall might get to see me sitting behind him at some point next week. I have already passed on a couple of nice bucks waiting for him to show up but so far he continues to elude me.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/03/15 12:15 AM

Outstanding story! I don't give a flip about inches of antler on a trophy like him. He looks to be a 6+ yr old monarch in all his glory. 'Back in the day' , he'd have won every big buck contest in the region. Congratulations, sir. up
Posted By: splash556

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/03/15 05:28 AM

Great story and great trophy. Congrats.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: CINCO GRANDE DOWN!!! - 11/03/15 12:32 PM

Great story...very cool pics. That buck is massive.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum