Texas Hunting Forum

Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic

Posted By: Hirogen

Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:05 AM

In the ten years I've owned crossbows I have never dry-fired so instead today I did something even more stupid. My thumb was above the rail in the travel path of the string. No problem with the bow (bolt hit the target 2 inches low) just not paying enough attention to where my thumb was. Doc thought I was nuts cause I snapped over 20 photos during the whole procedure while he was working on me. A little tricky using the android one handed.

Seven Stitches for now and an appointment with the plastic surgeon next week.

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:08 AM

Wow hope you heal up quickly
Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:08 AM

Damit man!

Those stitches look terrible too
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:10 AM

Yep GRAPHIC!!! sick Just had to look though. What were you shooting at Hirogen?

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:13 AM

Target shooting off my deck.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:20 AM

What the heck. Did the bolt do that or like you said, dry fired? String? Bow come apart? What? Sorry to hear and see this, prayers for a full recovery. Great pics though!

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean
What the heck. Did the bolt do that or like you said, dry fired? String? Bow come apart? What? Sorry to hear and see this, prayers for a full recovery. Great pics though!

Thumb was above the rail in the travel path of the string. No problem with the bow (bolt hit the target 2 inches low) just not paying enough attention to where my thumb was. Doc thought I was nuts cause I snapped over 20 photos during the whole procedure while he was working on me. A little tricky using the android one handed.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:26 AM

Ouchy. Hope it heals up quick. Will you still be able to hunt this weekend?

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

Gonna give it a shot. CF rifles and shotguns are out as I can't grip the fore stock.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 07:33 AM

eeks333

Heal up quickly, sir.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Hirogen

Gonna give it a shot. CF rifles and shotguns are out as I can't grip the fore stock.

Ouch. Don't you have to grip the front of a xbow?
Posted By: JCB

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 10:57 AM

WOW!!!!! You lucky you still have a thumb!!! shocked
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 10:58 AM

OUCH!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 11:29 AM

Ouch, heal quickly up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 11:50 AM

Heal quickly my friend.

One things for sure... I bet you won't do that again hammer
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 12:31 PM

Wow, that's got to hurt! Wish you quick healing. up
Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 12:35 PM

What kind of crossbow? Did it have a safety rail?
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 12:58 PM

Well Heck....Ontarioions rofl roflmao

Give them Corduroy, LeBatt and send them to School... roflmao

Glad you are okay Sir and keep that Sucker clean Amigo!!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 12:58 PM

Holy Crap! At least you still have something for the plastic surgeon to work with or you couldn't give a up
Posted By: East

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 01:01 PM

Not really hungry anymore
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 01:11 PM

I would get them to add about 5" to that Thumb and every time someone said something I would give a Big Ole Thumbs Up just to watch the Reaction rofl roflmao
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 01:13 PM

Deadgum man that sucks!!! Hope that heals up ok....
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 01:14 PM

Dang man, I bet that throbs like a sick mockingbird's butt. Hope you get well quick.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 02:04 PM

hammer
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 02:10 PM

I don't know why I always click on the ones that say graphic. I know I'm gonna regret it but I still do it. Dang that looks painful!

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Tye

Ouch. Don't you have to grip the front of a xbow?

Shooting off hand the answer would be yes. In a few of the blinds I have a Caldwell deadshot that allows me to shoot rimfire and the xbow one handed.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 02:25 PM

Man alive. Good lord. Hope that gets to feeling better.

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Excalibur Mega 405. The factory stock has a safety rail but being the genius I am I had the stock replaced with a custom walnut thumbhole stock. My custom stock does not have the guard.
Posted By: no-guts-no-glory

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 03:07 PM

Thank you for posting this as a warning to other crossbow users. I need to start paying close attention to where I place my hands with my own crossbow.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: East
Not really hungry anymore

I just put Whataburger picante sauce on my taquito and can't finish it now. Dang you Hirogen!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff
I bet that throbs like a sick mockingbird's butt.

scratch nidea confused2
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 07:25 PM

Sorry!! Hope it heals quickly.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 07:46 PM

Excalibur Mega 405. The factory stock has a safety rail but being the genius I am I had the stock replaced with a custom walnut thumbhole stock. My custom stock does not have the guard.

Thank you for the reminder NOT to extend my thumb over the rail on my 380 this weekend. Sorry for your thumb, I hope it heals up quick!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 07:56 PM

Man that's eeks333, bad deal. Had a buddy that did the same thing a few years ago. Nearly took his whole thumb off, OUCH!
Posted By: yeti2009

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 08:18 PM

You must've been on the good stuff while Doc was fixing you up! Haha!

Get better soon!
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 10:01 PM

Good gracious that gave me a weird feeling down to my bones when I looked at it. Keep that thing clean for sure.
Heal up.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/02/15 10:40 PM

Ouch!!! bang
Posted By: coach20

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 12:00 AM

Get well soon.
Posted By: Stinger13

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 12:47 AM

OUCH!!! looks like something I would do. Is the gap in the wound going to close? Take care, keep it clean.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 12:49 AM

Dayum
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 01:14 AM

The son of a good friend of mine lost half of his thumb the same way.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 01:35 AM

Man that is bad!!! cheers to a quick recovery
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 02:15 AM

That's rough. Hope you have a speedy and full recovery.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 02:30 AM

Thanks for the reminder - warning. Sure is good that the shots they give in your fingers/thumbs kill all of the feeling. Wish I would have had a camera many years ago when they sowed my little and ring finger back together. Be sure to keep it clean, dry and warm.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 02:55 PM

Hope you heal quickly!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 03:01 PM

Excalibur Mega 405. The factory stock has a safety rail but being the genius I am I had the stock replaced with a custom walnut thumbhole stock. My custom stock does not have the guard YET.

FIFY rofl

Seriously....prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.... up
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 03:02 PM

That makes my hand hurt just looking at those pics. Get well soon!

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/03/15 06:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for the well wishes and prayers. It is appreciated.
Posted By: Bats21

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/04/15 10:19 PM

That hurts looking at it
Posted By: TEXASCAT95

Re: Thumb I'd like to introduce you to my crossbow - warning graphic - 10/05/15 12:23 AM

Da-Gum! I know it hurts hitting your inner fore arm with a bow string. Hopefully your thumb was numb at-least for a little while after that happened. Get well soon!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum