Texas Hunting Forum

Age this fat boy, and is he legal?

Posted By: Mas Cabeza

Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:05 AM

My wife has been a sporadic hunter over the years, and normally doesn't care about deer, but this buck has her fired up. Is he as old as we guess him, and do you all think he will pass AR? Thanks guys
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:08 AM

Post mature on age and to close to tell from those pics.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:19 AM

For me, and I aint good on age, but he should be on ss. Im leaning on no for AR, I hunt in an AR county, and I would have to REALLY look him OVER. 2cents

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:20 AM

I agree he is past mature. He has a floppy left ear that makes it hard to get an exact ear tip measurement. I am no pro at gauging width, but have heard that juvenile bucks ear tips will be in the 13 range, and a older mature buck will be closer to 15in at ear tips. Again I don't know or I wouldn't be asking. Him being over the hill and at or a tad beyond ear width makes us think he may be legal.

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:27 AM

Man I don't know, that first pic, says no to me, too close, for me to pull the trigger. But good luck on which way you choose. up

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:41 AM

I am going to consult with our local GW. I know I have heard in the past that GW's typically don't give the green light to deer like this just to keep others from thinking it's OK to shoot iffy deer. If he says he thinks it's illegal then we will just let him be coyote bait in a year or so. Thanks for the replies fellas and good luck this season
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 03:55 AM

I would say he looks legal, but then I won't be paying the fine.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Post mature on age and to close to tell from those pics.
Posted By: Boggyman

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 05:51 AM

You might try putting a 13" piece of tape on the feeder and use that to reference an accurate spread. He's definitely old.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 12:04 PM

I think he makes it....barely. Big ol head makes spread look smaller. JMO
rifle
Posted By: Stub

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 12:19 PM

That's a tough call, but here is something to consider. Legal is 13" and they say rule of thumb is the antlers outside the ears.
Well that is close on that big old buck, he looks to have a Big ole rum head and long ears to boot.

Good chance he is 13" regardless of the proximity of the antlers to the ears wink

Good luck though, that's a lot of groceries on the hoof cheers
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 12:27 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman
I think he makes it....barely. Big ol head makes spread look smaller. JMO
rifle

rifle
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 12:29 PM

Dude looks to be part brahma bull.

I would say yes on legal and I would shoot him.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 01:38 PM

I would say legal.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 01:52 PM

He is wide between the tines, I think he will be near 14" and maybe 6?
confused2
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Mas Cabeza
[/URL]

[URL=http://s129.photobucket.com/user/coreyhalbardier/media/Mobile%20Uploads/WGI_0660.jpg.html]s

How long is that swirl on the feeder? Or the feeder itself?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 02:47 PM

I love the lazy ear, it makes me grin
Posted By: SenderoTaxi

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 02:49 PM

In my experience, native Texas whitetail deer nose to eye measurements range from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2" depending on age and health.

My calculation:
This is a very mature and healthy deer.
Third picture shows a perfect broadside view of his head, it's at least 7" from the end of his nose to the front corner of his eye.
Since the first two pictures have him standing in basically the same location as the third you can use the measurement from above to view the other two pictures.
This puts his insides spread right at 14", i'm gonna guess it will be more like 14.5", maybe 15" since he's such a mature deer.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to harvest him based on these great photos.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SenderoTaxi
In my experience, native Texas whitetail deer nose to eye measurements range from 6 3/4" to 7 1/2" depending on age and health.

My calculation:
This is a very mature and healthy deer.
Third picture shows a perfect broadside view of his head, it's at least 7" from the end of his nose to the front corner of his eye.
Since the first two pictures have him standing in basically the same location as the third you can use the measurement from above to view the other two pictures.
This puts his insides spread right at 14", i'm gonna guess it will be more like 14.5", maybe 15" since he's such a mature deer.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to harvest him based on these great photos.

....and then send him to a taxidermist that can replicate that floppy ear? Is there one you would recommend? grin
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 06:43 PM

With that cow head I would say legal. Just for curiosity I measured 4 different mounts on the wall and all were 14 to 15 inches to the outside of the ears, but great idea to ask the GW anyway.
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 07:44 PM

Age and width are the same......13.5
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/02/15 11:58 PM

I'd shoot him. I'd say 14". And ripe!!!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/03/15 01:53 AM

That's a 15" deer judging by the first pic. Kinda' sorry to see an old war-horse like him go, but take him.
Posted By: Deersteaks

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/03/15 08:29 AM

As old and big as he is, I wouldnt hesitate. As stated above, probably a good 14 spead, maybe a little bigger. JMO
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/03/15 03:14 PM

He's 14 or a little more, I'd shoot him all day, and then have him on the grill!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/03/15 04:24 PM

Not sure what the AR rules are.. We Blessed with simple 4 deer county rules... cheers They did put in the 13" rule dont do no good ta complain... Most people dont eat the rack, although thew are nice ta look at... Kids & grand kids gotta put down thar english books & learn dis hera texasHF if they gonna hunt... rofl my humor not worth 2cents As stated before not an expert, the deer is getting close ta age, if not past stage were rack not gonna get any wider, like my tail-end does with age... Here it be a shooter, lot of bucks never get past the basket 13"+ stage, & older a deer gets tougher the meat.. Tis reason for meat tenderizer... i know i was raised in a far off place... As pappy once said: tis a lowfer, deer dont stand around ta judge here, they educated by the big bang therory ... i got cheap posts... flag
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/03/15 05:52 PM

He looks legal to me rifle

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 10/04/15 01:14 AM

That pic with him next to the feeder sure makes him look like a shooter!!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 01/19/16 07:43 PM

Legal.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 01/19/16 07:56 PM

food
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Age this fat boy, and is he legal? - 01/19/16 08:33 PM

We have to remember a deer's ears get bigger with age just like the rest of him. A 2.5 yo bucks ears are generally considered 13 inches, not a 5.5-8.5 yo deer's ears. Those are gonna be wider across.

Thus, if he came out, I would probably be ok shooting him. Now that its too late to shoot him, unless he is hunted on an MLD place, I think we can all agree we would have shot him this year...next year he may decline and be inside 13 inches.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum