Texas Hunting Forum

A few Hummers

Posted By: Michael W.

A few Hummers - 09/06/15 10:52 PM

There have been quite a few of these guys around the last few days. At least 8 to 10 which is quite a bit for our area.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: A few Hummers - 09/06/15 10:55 PM

cheers Great pics
Posted By: Zach S

Re: A few Hummers - 09/06/15 11:06 PM

Great pics indeed!
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: A few Hummers - 09/06/15 11:25 PM

Man, those are awesome pics! I have a lot more this year than ever before, too. They are emptying one full feeder a day! I can hardly keep up with them.
Posted By: Lazyman

Re: A few Hummers - 09/06/15 11:31 PM

Beautiful little birds.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: A few Hummers - 09/07/15 02:29 AM

My wife loves her hummers and all the others in our back yard...tons of goldfinches now-buntings and grossbecks. plus about 25 or 30 limits of dove...
Posted By: MikeC

Re: A few Hummers - 09/07/15 03:00 AM

They are thinning out up here, guess they are starting to move south.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: A few Hummers - 09/07/15 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff
Man, those are awesome pics! I have a lot more this year than ever before, too. They are emptying one full feeder a day! I can hardly keep up with them.
Same here. There seems to be fewer the last couple of weeks though...Beautiful pics of beautiful birds.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: A few Hummers - 09/07/15 01:16 PM

Amazing pics. Saw one at my house yesterday morning. I see quite a few this time of year.

Re: A few Hummers - 09/07/15 11:38 PM

thanks for the comments. I love watching these little dive bombers. They have emptied 2 feeders since yesterday. With a cold front on the way , not sure how much longer they will stay here.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 11:32 AM

cheers
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Lazyman
Beautiful little birds.

X2. Great photos!!!!

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
thanks for the comments. I love watching these little dive bombers. They have emptied 2 feeders since yesterday. With a cold front on the way , not sure how much longer they will stay here.
Since I have had so many of these things this year, I did a little research. And let me tell you, they are incredible little birds. The website, hummingbirds.net, has a migration map and is full of info on them. It says they aren't driven by temperatures at all...and how the old wives tale of "better take them down by Oct. 1" is not true. I bet I still have anywhere from 20 to 30 of them hanging around. And I mean HANGING AROUND. I put out 6 cups of syrup this morning. at least half of it will be gone when I go home from work. I have a video of one eating out of a feeder I'm holding. I almost got one to land on my finger, lol. I'm having a blast with them! I have never seen so many in one place but one other time, and that was in Colorado. Anyway...enjoy them!
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 01:41 PM

awesome pics....thanks
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 04:01 PM

Unbelievable pics!

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff
Originally Posted By: Michael W.
Since I have had so many of these things this year, I did a little research. And let me tell you, they are incredible little birds. The website, hummingbirds.net, has a migration map and is full of info on them. It says they aren't driven by temperatures at all...and how the old wives tale of "better take them down by Oct. 1" is not true. I bet I still have anywhere from 20 to 30 of them hanging around. And I mean HANGING AROUND. I put out 6 cups of syrup this morning. at least half of it will be gone when I go home from work. I have a video of one eating out of a feeder I'm holding. I almost got one to land on my finger, lol. I'm having a blast with them! I have never seen so many in one place but one other time, and that was in Colorado. Anyway...enjoy them!

Yes, very neat little creatures. I have never had one land on my hand but sometimes when filling the feeder they will hover around me. Sometimes less that 18" away and start feeding seconds after I hang the feeder. To get some of the photos I set up a step ladder about 8 to 10 feet away and use the top to support the camera. As long as you don't move too much they come right in to feed.

As soon as the cold weather sets in most leave my area. I fed all winter last year and only had 1 or 2 stay around.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: A few Hummers - 09/08/15 11:21 PM

Fantastic pics.

Re: A few Hummers - 09/09/15 04:02 PM

I was always told to pull the feeders October 1st, lol I had no idea. And man, when they all get together, they can make some noise!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A few Hummers - 09/09/15 05:51 PM

Fantastic pics.
Posted By: 12pointer

Re: A few Hummers - 09/09/15 06:30 PM

Great pics! We have a few around our house in Flower Mound, the kiddos go wild when they see them.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: A few Hummers - 09/09/15 07:05 PM

Great pics. What mm lens are you using?

Re: A few Hummers - 09/09/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: WNPHNTR
Great pics. What mm lens are you using?

About a year ago I bought the Tamron 150-600mm.
Posted By: Stub

Re: A few Hummers - 09/10/15 10:24 AM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo
Originally Posted By: Lazyman
Beautiful little birds.

X2. Great photos!!!!

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: A few Hummers - 09/10/15 10:28 AM

we are seeing more, its migration time
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A few Hummers - 09/10/15 11:58 AM