Texas Hunting Forum

Long tailed Cat

Posted By: sparrish8

Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:22 PM

This cat showed up in the last few weeks, my neighbor got these pics on his game cam, we are in Montell between Campwood and Uvalde off 55. Is it me or does it seem theres more and more popping up in Texas.

Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:27 PM

Before the panther/yeti/werefeet/sasquatchers get on here, that's cool. Nice lion.

popcorn
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:27 PM

Guess he didn't want none of that porcupine. Cool pics
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:30 PM

Awesome!!!
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:33 PM

Assume the date on the photos are wrong?

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:35 PM

Dates are wrong, and yes even the mountain lion will not mess with the porcupine.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: sparrish8
Is it me or does it seem theres more and more popping up in Texas.

I suspect they were always there in similar numbers. More cameras in operation = more field observations from all hours plus it is easier to show the masses through various forms of media (this site being one).
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 08:53 PM

coolpics
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 09:09 PM

Well, they do live in Texas.

Looks like he's wearing a collar.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 09:23 PM

Great pic.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 09:54 PM

Nice cat....very kool!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhunter65
Assume the date on the photos are wrong?

Gotta be, there wasn't that much grass in that entire county in 2012! (maybe even in the state!)
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 10:12 PM

Thats pretty sweet
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 10:27 PM

Very nice
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Guess he didn't want none of that porcupine. Cool pics

Porcupine's are like a Honey Badger roflmao
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 11:17 PM

There are probably a lot more than most think there are. Neat photo. At least once or twice a year there is a report of one on the NW
side of San Antonio.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/12/15 11:54 PM

Cool pics!
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 05:03 AM

Population has increase as the number of pigs has. Also, there were a lot more hounds running thirty years ago than today. Hell, is there anyplace left in Texas that you can turn loose a pack of Walker Dogs?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 09:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Reloder28

I'm not seeing the collar. Great pic though. Would love to pull one off my place.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 10:22 AM

Research from big bend to new Mexico shows a slight increase over the last decade. Nice cat!!

Had a lease 50 miles west of Iraan, tx. Lions were almost common, didn't worry about pig's tearing up feeders the momma black bear and her cubs took care of it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: kry226

I'm not seeing the collar. Great pic though. Would love to pull one off my place.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 10:34 AM

Cool pic.

Not cool for deer visits to the feeder. Hopefully it's just passing through. up
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 03:35 PM

I used to hunt right in that area (Silvercreek) back in the mid to late '80s. Used to hear things in the middle of the night that made me wonder what was out there. Saw big cat sign several times back then.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: HornSlayer
Hell, is there anyplace left in Texas that you can turn loose a pack of Walker Dogs?

No. Everyone on this forum will shoot the dog if it crosses a fence line onto their property/lease.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

I think he was making reference to Cecil the Defunct Lion.

Cool pics.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 07:29 PM

Would make dark walks to & from stand a little "nerve wrecking"
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 07:57 PM

Great pics. I am shocked that the lion did not smash the porky as it is so easy for them to kill. It is not uncommon for lions to have quills in and around their mouths. I have also found several porkys that were killed by lions. It seems that they get the prey on their back and shuck the meat off the hide. Somehow, they get less quills than you think.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
Great pics. I am shocked that the lion did not smash the porky as it is so easy for them to kill. It is not uncommon for lions to have quills in and around their mouths. I have also found several porkys that were killed by lions. It seems that they get the prey on their back and shuck the meat off the hide. Somehow, they get less quills than you think.
Adios,
Gary

Yes sir. Porkies are a desired food source of Mt. Lions. I use them for trap bait, and it works.

In two minutes anything could wander off, but I did notice one of the porkies is missing.

Cool pics.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 08:40 PM

Cool pics. I'll have to see if I still have photos of the one we got on camera in ne Texas

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/13/15 11:59 PM

Adios,
Gary

Really thats interesting because we have tons of porcies, but i guess with and endless supply of pigs, whitetail and Aoudad he can be a little more picky
Posted By: Western

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Would make dark walks to & from stand a little "nerve wrecking"

No sir, if it happens, it will be quick roflmao
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 01:04 AM

cool
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 02:55 AM

Adios,
Gary

Really thats interesting because we have tons of porcies, but i guess with and endless supply of pigs, whitetail and Aoudad he can be a little more picky

If there are goats or sheep on the property that will be the preferred dinner.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 11:46 AM

Neat pics up Knowing that Kitty might be out there somewhere close would certainly make it interesting wtf

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 07:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Dude Lebowski
Adios,
Gary

If there are goats or sheep on the property that will be the preferred dinner.

Hes the only one around there that wants to eat those stinky Aoudad and sheep. We have a herd of Red Sheep, several herds of Aoudad and some Catalinas.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: Long tailed Cat - 08/14/15 10:15 PM

You can tell if a mountain if left or right handed. Just find the porcupine quill in his paw as he flips them over for dinner.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum