Texas Hunting Forum

Few from England

Posted By: JEmberson

Few from England - 08/03/15 06:22 PM

Hi guys

New to the forum, recently moved to Texas from England after getting married. Love the state, feel very at home but im missing hunting! Hoping to try and get out this coming season if everything goes well and I can get my head around the permit system.

Heres a few shots from back in England over a few years. The deer are Roe deer, does that i had stalked just for the photos, I dont shoot them on my ground, they seem to have a good sustainable population on their own.
Few other shots of some duck taken at my local club that shoots the foreshore/coast. The landscape pictures are of the area they were taken and one of my old Black Labrador who isnt with me any more but I have a 6 month old chocolate replacement who is up and coming.

Rules and licensing is slightly different at home with no limits on anything, no tags needed, just licensed guns is all.

Joe
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 06:26 PM

welcome
Posted By: bp3

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 06:33 PM

up
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 06:37 PM

The lease thing isn't that hard to get your head around. If the wife's family doesn't own some land maybe they have a friend that does. You won't be missing hunting very long.

Don't mention licensing and/or registering firearms around here, it doesn't go over well.

Have fun

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 06:37 PM

Found one of a Roe buck that i took as he had a broken leg. Turned out to be the biggest shot in the county. Thats as big as the antlers will get on a Roe.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 07:06 PM

Welcome to THF and Texas. Congrats on the marriage. Thanks for the pictures. Nice photography work. To get a feel Look at the public draw hunts and Public hunting lands on TPWD site.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 08:36 PM

Now we gotta get you a proper Texas handle.

BubbaJoe
REALKILLERJOE
Billfearsme
IndianJoe (borderline racist Mark Twain reference)
RookieTexan
TeaTimeTexan

and the list goes on...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 08:42 PM

welcometo our great state. texas

Congrats on your new marriage. cheers
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 09:10 PM

great pics up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
great pics up

x2
Posted By: rickym

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 09:55 PM

Welcome to the great state of Texas. There are many ways to hunt in the state so finding something shouldn't be a problem for you. Nice pics, very interesting how the antlers grow on a Roe deer. The doe's look similar to whitetail.
Posted By: Western

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
welcome

And great photos up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 10:28 PM

welcome...what part of the state are residing in?
Posted By: don k

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 10:45 PM

I used to go to the UK a lot with my former job. A very beautiful country. most of the time we stayed in London. We usually landed in Stansted. A few times we stayed in that area. Once was at a B&B that was out in the country. I would walk around and see all the wildlife. Many rabbits and larger birds and a few times Roe deer.

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 11:00 PM

Currently in the east, Nacogdoches, Lufkin area. Wife is originally from here so I kinda didn't have much choice! Been here on and off for three years working. Finally starting to get settled and everything worked out. Just passed my Texas Hunters Ed as I assumed it was the first step in being able to get out. I was about an hour from London, right on the very south coast, could see France on a clear day. Plenty of good hunting to be had around the area, it's beautiful country, but Texas is special though and being able to hunt here some day is going to be one off the bucket list.
Thanks guys, Texas and its people can sure make some one feel welcome!
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 11:26 PM

welcome
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 11:43 PM

Welcome to Texas. Great pictures!
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Few from England - 08/03/15 11:56 PM

welcome cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 12:14 AM

Welcome and good hunting.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 12:21 AM

welcome Nice pics
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 12:27 AM

welcome

I wonder if I'm the only one mentally reading your posts with an English Accent? cheers

Plenty of hunting opportunities here. Leasing, public, guided day or weekend hunts, or just making the right friends.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

up
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 01:38 AM

Nice photos and welcome to Texas and to the forum.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 03:54 AM

welcome
Posted By: kry226

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 09:11 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself. up
Posted By: texas2

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 12:25 PM

Congrats and welcome.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 12:44 PM

Welcome to Texas, I myself cant wait to hear about hunting in England.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 01:38 PM

welcome to texas

My Mom is from England. My Dad met her when he was stationed at Chicksands AFB.
She is from a small village by the name of Campton. Campton is near Shefford.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 01:50 PM

You are right in the middle of some great deer territory. You should try and meet Dr James Kroll who teaches at SFASU, in the Forrestry Dept. He is known as Dr Deer and he does a couple seminars every year. You need to keep an eye out for when those happen and go to them.

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 04:38 PM

Chunky Dunk - hunting in England is a slightly different affair to here. Certain things stand out like no tag or license. Management is high on the agenda most likely accounting for the majority of deer harvested. When it comes to waterfowl (wildfowl in England) we don't have the number or variety of duck you do here but it's some incredibly sporting shooting. A lot of my duck hunting was done under a flight line, pass shooting if you will. Mostly on the coast in deep mud and watching the tide. Dawn and dusk. A moon flight is something everyone should experience. It's something very difficult to describe. We aren't restricted on shooting hours, I've had brilliant moon flights at 2am, shooting silhouettes and using your knowledge of the birds and wing pattern and their call to identify.
Driven pheasant and partridge shoots still dominate the hunting community at home. Up to 500 bird days for 10 people can be bought, some even more birds than that. The birds are then sent to the local butcher and sold. These places have great management programs with 1 or more full time employed game keepers who manage the ground and it's wildlife to benefit.
We have something called a general license. It doesn't need to be applied for or physically held by a hunter but it covers you for the taking and removal of pest species, mich like shooting hogs I guess? Pigeons, crows, rook, foxes etc are all managed under this license. Agriculture is hit very hard by the pigeon population annually and some good hunting can be had decoying pigeon on a freshly harvested or planted field.
Perhaps I should start a post for people ask questions if they'd like to know more!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 05:00 PM

welcome
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 08:47 PM

You should start the post about questions about hunting n England. Good idea
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Few from England - 08/04/15 09:20 PM

I'm heading out next month with the wife to do the London/Cotswalds tourist bit, then up to around Royal Deeside Scotland for some red stag stalking and maybe a roebuck. Possibly some walked up shooting, but I don't have the clothes (or the coin) for the driven shoots. Just a few distilleries 'cause that's all I can handle. Finishing up in Edinburgh for 3 days, then home.

How are you adapting to the east Texas August heat? Hydrate ol' boy, hydrate.

Re: Few from England - 08/05/15 12:03 AM

That'll be a great trip for you Creekrunner. Cotswolds are beautiful, had a few driven days in Yorkshire and it's spectacular. Let's hope you can find a nice Red in Scotland for yourself. It should be quite the trip!
Heat doesn't bother me too much, it's humidity that kills me. I can sweat when it's 40 degrees out let alone 105 and 95% humidity!
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Few from England - 08/05/15 12:58 AM

welcome
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Few from England - 08/06/15 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoop
welcome

I wonder if I'm the only one mentally reading your posts with an English Accent? cheers

Plenty of hunting opportunities here. Leasing, public, guided day or weekend hunts, or just making the right friends.
Originally Posted By: kry226

Couldn't have said it better myself. up

Not ashamed to admit that I read it with the accent too grin No worries, love the accent.
Y'all have gun licenses, we have the 2nd Amendment and CCW wink

Texas is bae, if one may excuse my internet slang. flag
Lots of good outfitters, guides, and ranches on here, so finding a place to hunt shouldn't be an issue.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Few from England - 08/06/15 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoop
welcome

You aren't, we have a friend in Great Britain that does Vietnam era military reenactments that comes to our reunions.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum