Texas Hunting Forum

Cicada Killer?

Posted By: seacam

Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 01:22 AM

Saw this guy buzzing around and there was a thread asking about a description that this fits. Is that what it is? It would hump up and down when I got close to take a picture but didn't fly away. He didn't bother me while I was working so I left him alone after taking his picture.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 01:32 AM

Yep its a Cicada Killer. You don't see them land very often unless its near their burrow.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 01:34 AM

That's it! Never had one cause me or the family any problems, but they do sometimes act very aggressively, and they love boring some very nice holes between the sandstone rocks in my patio!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 05:11 AM

Nice pic.
Posted By: Western

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 11:31 AM

I have been stung by one, worst pain a critter ever gave me, including broken arm from a horse when I was 6. They are a mofo if they get you....
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 01:29 PM

Nice pic
Posted By: passthru

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 04:00 PM

Saw one on the back of a Cicada the other day as it was crawling fast up the tree.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 07:43 PM

Bad Mo Da Fo right there eek2
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/01/15 11:48 PM

scared
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/02/15 02:46 AM

Cool photo!

Here's what I always assumed was a CK in action. Looks different than that. I am no expert. All I know is this insect was indeed killing a cicada.

Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/02/15 11:38 PM

That first pic is a scary looking mf!!
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/03/15 02:56 AM

Looks like a Horse Fly
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Cool photo!

Here's what I always assumed was a CK in action. Looks different than that. I am no expert. All I know is this insect was indeed killing a cicada.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/03/15 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: hoof n wings
Looks like a Horse Fly
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Cool photo!

Robber Fly
Posted By: Navajo76

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/12/15 02:21 AM

Squash it
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/12/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
I have been stung by one, worst pain a critter ever gave me, including broken arm from a horse when I was 6. They are a mofo if they get you....

You are the only person I can ever recall being stung by one. Growing up they were all over the holly hedges around my parents house. Mean l;ookng for sure.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cicada Killer? - 08/12/15 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

You sure it wasn't a bumble bee that got you?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum