Texas Hunting Forum

Road Runner on my truck.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 04:43 PM

Parked at a well and he jumped up and said howdey, these are strange bird's.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 04:46 PM

You are quick with that camera. I like those things. Lotta folks think they're hell on quail eggs, but I think I remember TPWD saying coons, armadillos, and skunks are the real culprits.

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
You are quick with that camera. I like those things. Lotta folks think they're hell on quail eggs, but I think I remember TPWD saying coons, armadillos, and skunks are the real culprits.

Didn't need to be quick just had to move slow, he stayed there for about 2 minutes while the motor was running, door was open and radio playing. It wasn't until I tried to get around the window that he flew off. I wish I hadn't been pointing East.

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Parked at a well and he jumped up and said howdey, these are strange bird's.

Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 05:35 PM

He's looking for smashed bugs.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:07 PM

They're voracious hunters. Regularly kill and eat rattlesnakes. Roadrunner vs Rattlesnake

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowDog
He's looking for smashed bugs.

Not sure where he learned to do that, this spot is 5 miles to the closest road, I think it was his reflection that got him curious.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
I think it was his reflection that got him curious.

'Happens to a few around here...

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:18 PM

I am thinking it was the Crown Royal bag that had his eye.... grin
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:22 PM

He wanted to enjoy some AC for a few minutes!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 06:59 PM

Neat experience!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 07:13 PM

That's cool! We spent a summer at the ranch back in 82 cutting Russian thistles. We'd frequently see a pair, and within about 100-150 yds, a third. Never could figure out if it was the jilted lover or the MIL. I think somebody that kept one as a pet wrote a book long years ago about it.
Posted By: Western

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 07:15 PM

I'll be, don't see that often, they usually clear the are pretty quick.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 08:02 PM

A couple of seasons back I had that same thing happen. I just sat there for a few minutes until he decided to leave. I thought I was special, guess not!
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 08:08 PM

cool pic, I love to watch roadrunners, they are pretty comical
Posted By: Gdogg

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 08:30 PM

We used to have 3 to 4 pairs running around. They are neat to watch when they feed on grasshoppers. They will walk with their head down and their tail straight out. When a grasshopper jumps or flys they take off and meet them when they land. Crunch!
Posted By: upsslim

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 09:58 PM

We have one around here. My son played a road runner mating call on his phone when it was in the yard. He was in his car. The road runner came running and ended up on top of his car for about 10 minutes. Scared my son.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 10:22 PM

This little feller landed on the open window sill of my blind one peaceful morning as I was just about to doze off. We screamed some obscenities at each other, and he dropped down to the ground in front of the blind and posed a bit.

Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/14/15 11:15 PM

Pretty cool shots. Maybe he just needed a ride some place. My wife saw one in the yard today in the shrubs. First one seen here in months.
Posted By: Tres

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/15/15 04:13 AM

Crazy, pretty skittish bird.
Posted By: SCone

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/15/15 04:37 AM

Chased one for a couple hundred yards in East Texas last month...... wonderful bird...... amazing to watch.....
Posted By: kry226

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/15/15 08:29 AM

cheers Great pic.
Posted By: cm250

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/15/15 11:10 PM

Have a couple pairs that live close by and spend a lot of time in the yard, always killing and eating bugs and snakes. They like to get on the tool box of my pickup if I leave it outside. They see the reflection in the rear window and think its another road runner. They will run back and forth on the tool box and peck at the window to try and fight that other road runner. They are so involved in that reflection you can get to within a few feet of the truck if ya approach slowly. Used to have pics, but can't locate them. Neat birds to have around...
Posted By: ralph

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 01:38 AM

Had only seen 3-4 in the past several years but went to my brother's on July 4th and saw 7 roadrunners that one day!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 10:32 AM

coolpics

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: ralph
Had only seen 3-4 in the past several years but went to my brother's on July 4th and saw 7 roadrunners that one day!

I'll see 30 to 40 a day.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 01:09 PM

My wife would get so mad when she saw one grab a gecko out of the flower bed.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 03:20 PM

Neat picture. Kinda fun when stuff like that happens.
Posted By: bw94

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/16/15 05:07 PM

Cool photo, my neighbor had one make a nest in a tree in his front yard.
Posted By: shingledecker

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/19/15 05:49 AM

they kind of remind me of the good ol boy Texans... they don't tolerate trespassers and hate rattlesnakes !!! what great birds, I will give up a few quail to have a rattlesnake watch dog anytime !!!!!
Originally Posted By: cm250
Have a couple pairs that live close by and spend a lot of time in the yard, always killing and eating bugs and snakes. They like to get on the tool box of my pickup if I leave it outside. They see the reflection in the rear window and think its another road runner. They will run back and forth on the tool box and peck at the window to try and fight that other road runner. They are so involved in that reflection you can get to within a few feet of the truck if ya approach slowly. Used to have pics, but can't locate them. Neat birds to have around...
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/20/15 03:40 PM

Always thought they were cool, they will eat anything they can catch... I want one for a pet, think that would be sweet deal.
Posted By: okie44

Re: Road Runner on my truck. - 07/20/15 03:52 PM

I had one say howdy a few years back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum