Texas Hunting Forum

Cool old tractors..

Posted By: T Bone

Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 06:55 PM

Few months ago we went down & visited w/ the farmer down the road from us.. He had a couple of his old tractors out and we took 2 of them for a spin.. Got back & little brother fired up the 4586 & took it for a drive around the pasture..

Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:24 PM

up
Posted By: GLC

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:31 PM

Back in the day many years ago, I drove the top of the line, at the time,- #4020. Also drove a #4010, #520 and a Model #70. Brings back a lot of memories. Also drove what the farmer called a "popin johnny" Old model John Deer two cylinder that had a fly wheel for a starter on the side. Open up the compression valves and spun it till I had no fingerprints trying to start it.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:41 PM

cheers

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:47 PM

This is the 4010..

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:50 PM

This is a 3020 w/ an aftermarket cab.. It was interesting to see all the sweeps move on the cultivator..

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:53 PM

Great pics, brought back some memories from the old days. up

Here is one from my past, it sat in a field for years in a field on a farm north east of Miles, TX, then moved to town and repainted etc.. Needs a new paint job, I am sure some day that will be done again.

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 08:54 PM

I forget which model he said this was.. The cool thing on this tractor is it was originally a steel wheel model like the one in the picture DC posted, and was later converted to rubber.. They added more spokes to the wheel and those welds eventually rusted out and ruined them.. Tire tread is excellent but they won't ever inflate w/ out the wheels being repaired..

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/12/15 09:07 PM

I think that last one is an early model of the John Deere Model A, but the wheels are wrong.

Posted By: Western

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 12:24 AM

up
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 12:25 AM

Here is a cool photo of a bunch of Poppin Johnies. My grandfather is on the first tracter. The story was that a local farmer had back surgery and the community farmers came out an prepared his fields that year.
Posted By: janie

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 12:33 AM

Awesome pic's. Tractor's back then sure weren't built to keep the operator comfortable. smile Love the old barn in the background. up
Posted By: Espy

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 12:39 AM

great photos my first tractor was an old poppin johhny

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bone
This is a 3020 w/ an aftermarket cab.. It was interesting to see all the sweeps move on the cultivator..

Thats a cool tractor
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: 10pointers
Here is a cool photo of a bunch of Poppin Johnies. My grandfather is on the first tracter. The story was that a local farmer had back surgery and the community farmers came out an prepared his fields that year.

Great pics up I have an older friend down the road that is a Poppin Johnie hoarder. You pull into his place and all you see are Poppin Johnies everywhere. Crazy.

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 02:13 AM

10pt that's a great picture! Almost looks like your grandad has turf tires on the back of his rather than ag tires.. Looks good!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: 10pointers

Awesome pic, and awesome story to go with it!

Thank God for good friends. I had two show up today and worked their butts off just because I needed help. You can't put a price on that. Good men!

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 04:02 AM

10pt that's a great picture! Almost looks like your grandad has turf tires on the back of his rather than ag tires.. Looks good!

You know I dont understand the tires myself. Sure seem out of place for a tractor in 1946.

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 04:08 AM

Not meaning to rob this thread but another cool picture I have from the past (I usually post this on Memorial day) is of my dads cousin Emil on his John Deere B on leave just before going to Eiurope as a Side gunner on a bomber. He would not return RIP Emil flag

Posted By: Stub

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 10:44 AM

All neat pics, this tractor looks more like a tank that is missing its big gun on the front up

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 01:06 PM

Cool pics up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 01:10 PM

cool and interesting thread. great pics. up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/13/15 01:13 PM

Tractors are one of those things that I have a lot of interest in and seeing how creative and innovative the old ones where is just amazing!!! I love going to old tractor shows.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/14/15 12:50 AM

here is one you won't find many of. the tractor is a Case, combine is international harvester. my Dad on the combine...probably 1929note..this was before my time
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/14/15 01:29 AM

This is the 4010..

I learned to drive on a 4010 up
Posted By: jwb

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/14/15 02:42 AM

I get to see some great old John Deere tractors here in Corsicana. Navarro College has a John Deere program here that produces J D mechanics. John Deere goes all over the country and finds old tractors for the students to tear down and restore. Look brand new when they are finished. Great Program
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/14/15 07:26 PM

Had this old girl in a few weeks ago doing some electrical work and a check over. All original 6v Ford Jubilee... sucker was in great shape.

Also had a Int. Gasser 574, Massey 235, and a Zetor 5211 in the shop all at the same time ha...

Posted By: Stub

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 05/14/15 11:56 PM

I was at the Heritage Farmstead in Plano about 3 weeks ago, they had some neat old cars & tractors in a shed.

Posted By: sbakerac

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 06/12/15 08:36 PM

very cool
Posted By: sbakerac

Re: Cool old tractors.. - 06/12/15 09:06 PM

very cool
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum