Texas Hunting Forum

First Axis Buck

Posted By: NewJeep

First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 12:54 PM

Well it didn't go like I planned but it was all my own doing. Sunday evening I ran across this buck. When I took the shot he was 1/4 to me really hard. I settled the crosshairs on the point of the shoulder and sent the 130 accubond. It found its mark. Buck ran 20 yards and bedded up. I watched him thru the brush for a couple minutes well he was alert so I decided to get closer and put one more in him. By the time I got over to him his head was down and not moving. To play it safe I decide to wait a few minutes before approaching him. After waiting I jumped out of the sxs I was only 15yds away at this point. When I got about 5' away he came to his feet and ran. Dumb me didn't have rifle in hand. He ran into a low spot were I couldn't see him anymore. So I went and sat in Can Am. After waiting 30 mins I began following the blood trail. After 2 hrs of finding a pin drop here and there the blood went away. So I started doing a grid search no luck after another 2hrs. Figured I would be better off starting fresh the next morning well just my luck it rained hard that night. So instead of walking blindly around for him I decided to wait till buzzards found him. (meat was already bad) Found him Tuesday. When he hit the spot where I lost the blood he turned 90* North into the thick cedar break and was laying 300yds away. First time I have ever had to do this with a animal I shot. Sucks because main reason I hunt is for the meat but he will live forever on my wall. I lost 2 nights sleep over this. Lesson learned is shoot twice if there is a doubt, always carry your rifle when recoving game, and look in the opposite direction. LOL

Now I need to go find a spike for a cape.

Rifle-Horizon Firearms rebarreled Win M70 6.5X284 130 Nosler Accubond/Leupold VX6 4-24X52

Low fence Kendall county
Posted By: BenBob

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 12:59 PM

Nice buck.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:02 PM

Great job and great job. Sux you couldn't get him then but I happens. Gun look beautiful by the way.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:04 PM

up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:09 PM

cheers
Posted By: glb1955

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:09 PM

Sorry it turned out the way it did Andrew. Glad you found him though.

g
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:10 PM

up
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 01:54 PM

Good looking buck. cheers
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 02:05 PM

Great looking buck there man. Hate to tell you, but a spike cape isn't going to work for a buck like that. No way the neck will be big enough or the hair around the pedestals for that matter. If your wanting to shoot another buck to replace the cape you really should try to find one similar in size with bases that are close to the same size. Just my opinion

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 02:10 PM

I did see a really good management buck that is huge but just missing his caudals. I might try to get him to use the cape and have euro mounted
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 02:28 PM

Simular thing happened to me on a axis buck a few years back. I hit him right but he sealed up and didn't lose a drop of blood. Had to wait for the buzzards to show me where he was...about 150 yards from where I shot him with a heart/lung shot.

Nice buck though. up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 03:01 PM

Nice buck. Glad you found him. up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 03:24 PM

Nice one congrats
Posted By: rob valle

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 03:46 PM

Man that was a tough pill to swallow! It also looks like the velvet is starting to slip on the antlers.....do you have them in the freezer or in cold storage at least? If not, they will start to smell like a dead fish if they have'nt already. I have extra axis capes that would fit that size rack for a shoulder mount if you are interested. I'm afraid however that those beautiful antlers are toast.

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 03:51 PM

He is in freezer. Something chewed on that antler.
Posted By: Western

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 05:55 PM

Love the "flower camo" he was trying to fool you with. I guess he's a nice one based on what the fellas are saying up never shot an exotic.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 06:14 PM

It happens Amigo...
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 07:18 PM

He is a little thin to the skin peep

Nice gun up
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 08:06 PM

I probably have a cape in the freezer. The guy didn't want to mount the deer. Just a euro. Let me make sure I didn't give it to Richard. Good deer though man

Re: First Axis Buck - 04/30/15 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: C3 guide
I probably have a cape in the freezer. The guy didn't want to mount the deer. Just a euro. Let me make sure I didn't give it to Richard. Good deer though man

Just let me know. I am waiting on another one to come out of velvet he makes this one look like a baby. LOL I will meet up with you for the cape whenever you have time if you have it. I will buy you a beer or 2.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: First Axis Buck - 05/01/15 08:56 PM

Glad you found him and I know about the sleepless nights. It's always a hard lesson, but I have learned so much about hunting, and myself, from the ones that didn't go down easy. You'll be a better hunter for it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum