Texas Hunting Forum

My Favorite Fishing Photo

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 11:56 AM

My Granddaddy in the middle with his two sons. That's my Daddy on the left and my uncle on the right. Taken in the early '60s. My granddaddy dearly loved to fish. I sure miss him.

Posted By: JRJ6

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 12:12 PM

cheers
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 12:16 PM

Awesome picture up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 12:33 PM

Great pic NP. That's a nice bass your grandad is holding. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Great pic NP. That's a nice bass your grandad is holding. up

X2 Huge bass for the early 60's!
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 12:42 PM

I love those old Photos, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: BenBob

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:00 PM

Looking back through photos is great fun.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:07 PM

Great photo cheers
Posted By: MikeC

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:19 PM

Great pic and priceless memories.

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:24 PM

Thanks guys. My Granddaddy used to catch big ones like that pretty regularly. Put their heads on fence posts around his house. He used a Zebco 404 and Creme worms with the hook exposed. Drove my uncle crazy. He used to try to give him lessons, saying "Pop, why don't you get a good reel? Pop, let that worm go to the bottom-you're reeling too fast!"

Pop would just say, "Go look at my fence posts, boy." smile
Posted By: Bats21

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:38 PM

Good Memories
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 01:51 PM

up
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 02:44 PM

Great photo!!! It's neat how one photo can bring back so many wonderful memories smile

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Thanks guys. My Granddaddy used to catch big ones like that pretty regularly. Put their heads on fence posts around his house. He used a Zebco 404 and Creme worms with the hook exposed. Drove my uncle crazy. He used to try to give him lessons, saying "Pop, why don't you get a good reel? Pop, let that worm go to the bottom-you're reeling too fast!"

Haha! Love this story up
Posted By: Western

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Elkhunter49
I love those old Photos, thanks for sharing!

That is a neat photo, guess they even had problems with them LM bass even back in the day", all these years and we still haven't got rid of them grin

NP, you resemble your Grandad somewhat up

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 06:10 PM

Yes Western my Dad says that too. Makes me feel good to know that. He is still a big part of me. smile
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 07:14 PM

Great pic.

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 08:31 PM

Yes Western my Dad says that too. Makes me feel good to know that. He is still a big part of me. smile
up You GP hunt? if so, you should copy a pose he has done and ut them both on the wall, generational thing.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 08:32 PM

up

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 04/30/15 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
up You GP hunt? if so, you should copy a pose he has done and ut them both on the wall, generational thing.

He was not a big hunter. He hunted squirrels for the pot and would shoot a quail if he jumped one, but that was about it. Few deer in Nacogdoches county back then. He and I squirrel hunted a good bit together but I don't have/know of a single photo of him hunting. Wish I had one.
Posted By: matt1794

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 01:57 AM

Awesome pic
Posted By: dawaba

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 10:31 AM

Did he like to fish big waters like Sam Rayburn, or mainly small ponds and lakes?

Yesterday afternoon, I puttered around on my little paddle boat and caught a dozen bass on Chuggers and spinners from my pond. Nothing as big as your grandfather's, but relaxing as all get-out....

In my next life, I think I may fish more.

Thanks for sharing that bit of nostalgia, NGP.
Posted By: mreed

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 11:25 AM

Great photo! I love going through old pictures of my Pa when he was my age and hearing my mom tell stories about him

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 11:49 AM

dawaba he fished mostly small to medium sized lakes like private lakes and Lake Murvaul near Carthage and Lake Timpson - mainly because they were close. My Dad and Uncle took him to Rayburn and Toledo Bend a lot and he loved it. He would not go to the big lakes alone though, as his boat was too small and the big water was a little much for him. Just about every weekend most of us in our family were bass fishing somewhere - it was a great way to grow up. Like you, I am wistful for it. I may just get me a bass boat and start going again one of these days.

Side story: My Pop (that's what we called my Granddaddy) told me stories of getting down in the creeks and grabbing big Opalousas/yellow catfish by hand way back before the stories of "noodling" became popular. He and his buddies were doing it way back in the '20s and '30s. They called it "grabbling".
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 12:37 PM

Awesome picture and a great family memory!!!

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 02:40 PM

Thinking it would take some time to best Pop's fish in that photo, but you could do the same pose with a small ditch pickle you can catch grin
Posted By: Dogpaddlin

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 05:37 PM

That's awesome! Prior to me nobody in my family really fished/hunted. I hope to make some memories like that with my kiddos!

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 08:42 PM

Thinking it would take some time to best Pop's fish in that photo, but you could do the same pose with a small ditch pickle you can catch grin

Lol Western here is NP circa early '70s. Pop taught me all the tricks. smile

Posted By: JCB

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 09:22 PM

Cool old pic.

Your Granddad would be glad to know that his beloved Crème worm still catches just as many fish today as they did 50+ years ago. Its still one of the most versatile worms ever made and I always have a few packs in the boat. Heck some of them are even older than me. As a matter of fact I am going to throw a purple and white Crème tomorrow just because of this thread. up
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 10:06 PM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 10:25 PM

Neat pic and fond memories! For the early 60's that was a lunker up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/01/15 10:39 PM

Great pic NP! up
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/02/15 10:32 PM

Nice memories, thank you for sharing.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/02/15 10:35 PM

NP, why don't you take ole REALKILLER fishing and he'd just run em up on the bank for ya!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/03/15 04:15 AM

And that is how the 'cow ate the cabbage'...Great pic NP. Thanks so much for sharing. And like already stated, that is a heckuva big bass for back then. Looks like maybe 8 lbs or so.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/03/15 04:23 AM

Lol Western here is NP circa early '70s. Pop taught me all the tricks. smile

WOW. Really nice fish, and the pic is priceless roflmao

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/03/15 11:25 AM

Lol EK I caught that one on lake Murvaul with my Dad and uncle (who are in the first picture). Pop wasn't there but he and my other grandfather both saw it after I caught it. It weighed 8 1/4 lbs on the local grocery scale. They were real proud of me and I'll never forget that fish. My Dad mounted it for me and I have it on my wall to this day. My uncle told the story of the catch over and over again. I was one excited little dude. smile

My middle brother was the real bass fisherman. A big bass back then was anything over 5 lbs. He caught more of them than you can count. He still fishes to this day but mostly on the coast for specks and reds now.

I have caught a few bigger bass since the Florida strain was introduced but that one stands out. Anything over 8 lbs back then was a true monster. IDK what the one Pop caught weighed but it was one of those monsters.

Lots of great fishing memories in our family.
Posted By: 44magblackhawk

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/07/15 12:04 AM

sleeveless shirt and argyle socks????? that's confidence......

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/07/15 12:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 44magblackhawk
sleeveless shirt and argyle socks????? that's confidence......

He was home on leave from the army when that was taken. He was a MP at that point. Put in his 20 all over the world including Viet Nam, Korea, and bunch of other places. Confidence was not an issue for him. Neither was worrying about what anyone might think about his attire.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: My Favorite Fishing Photo - 05/07/15 03:17 AM

Great pics. Thanks for a glimpse what was obviously a great time in your life.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum