Texas Hunting Forum

Trip back in time

Posted By: redchevy

Trip back in time - 04/22/15 03:34 PM

Ran up to my grandmothers farm this weekend with my grandma, brother and his two boys. As kids we ran crazy on the place hunting and fishing till our hearts content. I felt like a little boy again getting to once again walk the creek flipin little jigs and spinners. Not all of the creek is very big, but we have caught perch by the hundreds which I always love numerous bass to 6 or so pounds and catfish up to about 20 lbs. I got to re live some of the best parts of my childhood it was a blast!

It made me smile
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 03:56 PM

Looks like a great place to be. up
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 03:58 PM

Just beautiful up

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 04:03 PM

They have been blessed with good rains lately. There is a live spring on the creek, but it had been dry for a while it appeared to be running again when we were there.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 04:49 PM

cheers Good old days and times right there.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 04:55 PM

Boy I bet that sure brought back the memories up
I could only imagine the fun times you must have had cheers

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 05:04 PM

The place has always been fun for us. We fished miles of the creek, dove hunted, had I don't know how many brick of 22 shell days plinking away into the old shooting pit. I just hope it stays in the family long enough for my children to experience it. A few of the family places have already been sold.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 05:07 PM

That is beautiful, I wish I had a creek like that. Nice stringer of fish too. up

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 05:11 PM

Its a crazy little creek. For my childhood as long as I can remember till about 10-15 years ago they creek always had good water and fish in it. About 5-8 years ago my brother went to go fishing and ended up just walking around and taking pictures in the dried up creek bed, not a drop of water left. With the somewhat decent rains they have had it once again is flowing good and has some nice fish again.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 05:35 PM

Cool pics
Posted By: Western

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 05:36 PM

Have done the same thing, it sure makes you stop and think where all the time went. Hard to beat those childhood memories.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 06:21 PM

Great pics.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 06:29 PM

I too had a great family place with hunting, fishing, you name it pretty much growing up. We'd go almost every weekend, my dad would just turn me loose with a fishing pole or my ruger 10/22 while he tended to the cows and whatever else needed attention. He'd say meet back at the barn or house at a certain time, but I don't know how many times I kept him waiting. There was always something over the next hill or around the next creek bend that I had to check out before calling it a day. He never complained, I think he knew what it was like to be a on your own as a kid enjoying the outdoors. My dad's siblings forced us to sell that place about 5 years ago, and I really miss it. I don't even know if I'd want to go back, it might hurt too much. I bet at least half of my best childhood memories happened out there.

I hope y'all are able to keep it and your kids get to experience it, too.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 07:51 PM

up
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 08:03 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics and story.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Posted By: Cast

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 08:06 PM

I love that creek, could spend days sitting on the bank with a cane pole. I bet there's red worms right under the mulch.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 09:14 PM

Thanks for sharing redchevy. Where abouts is that?
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 09:31 PM

up

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 09:31 PM

West of waco
Posted By: KCH

Re: Trip back in time - 04/22/15 10:19 PM

Looks like an awesome place! I hope its able to stay in your family for a long time. Nice bass too!
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Trip back in time - 04/23/15 02:09 AM

Ok, was thinking had to be close to me with all that water in the creek!!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Trip back in time - 04/23/15 10:22 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Trip back in time - 04/23/15 11:25 AM

cheers coolpics

Re: Trip back in time - 04/23/15 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone, I love that place
Posted By: cibolo

Re: Trip back in time - 04/24/15 04:44 AM

Man that brings back memories. My family place looked real similar and it killed me when my dad came to me and said he thinks it's best for everyone if we sell. He was tired of being the mediator between his 2 siblings. It got real bad after my grand dad passed. I have driven to the front gate twice since then and just parked. I have been invited to dove hunt or fish a few times but I just can't. It was the last parcel left of my grandma's original homestead going back to the 1800's. I dream of the day I win the lottery and go back and buy it. Enjoy your times on that place and cherish them as I am sure you do.
Posted By: Dogpaddlin

Re: Trip back in time - 04/24/15 01:53 PM

Beautiful place and great memories!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum