Texas Hunting Forum

Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend

Posted By: Matt

Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 09:19 PM

I have some timber cut a few years ago and I finally got around to burning off the brush piles Saturday morning. I had a lot of help from one of the neighbors with a big tractor and a bobcat to push the piles together and cut breaks around each one. I called the VFD and had a tank truck at the ready, just in case. I was surprised at how well and controlled it burned. I just knew I was about to burn my place to the ground. Not a chance. Those helping me were all more experienced at this than me and convinced me I had nothing to worry about. They were right. I had three cedars torch over one of the fires, but that was about it. I had seven fires lit at once. I started lighting them at 8:30 in the morning and by 8:30 that evening, all were pretty well burned up. I'll be back out in a couple of weeks to clean up the big stuff that didn't burn up completely. I can't wait to till and plant the new cleared space.

Thanks!!
Matt
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 09:47 PM

cheers I tried to light and burn 3 brush piles this morning early. Could only get one burning with all the rain/moisture in them. Will try again later in the week early one morning if we don't get anymore rain.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 09:56 PM

More gas smile
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
More gas smile

Never, only diesel and used 3 gallons as it was and that should have been enough to do all 5 brush piles I have left to burn.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 10:02 PM

I burnt mine Saturday. Mama hates that
Posted By: don k

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
More gas smile

Never, only diesel and used 3 gallons as it was and that should have been enough to do all 5 brush piles I have left to burn.
I can light mine with a piece of toilet paper and no diesel. Oh, I forgot you get rain and I don't.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/13/15 10:27 PM

Originally Posted By: don k
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
More gas smile

I can light mine with a piece of toilet paper and no diesel. Oh, I forgot you get rain and I don't.

Our place is so dry that I would be scared to death to light an outside fire.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/14/15 12:23 AM

I lit mine with a small cardboard box.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Burned Some Brush On The Place This Weekend - 04/14/15 02:19 AM

Productive day. I burned one myself on Saturday. With all the the grass around here we are good to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum