Texas Hunting Forum

New Deer Feeders

Posted By: rkcurbow

New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:25 PM

Check it out. All aluminum with a viewing glass.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:29 PM

Very nice but don't forget to drill a few small holes in the bottom for water to drain out unless they will be under something covered. 2cents If I had a 6' break I would be building body panels for my dirt car, lol.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:38 PM

Already has weep holes drilled in it. We have a 10' break here, but these are made out of heavy wall aluminum tubing. 6" x 6" and 48" tall
Posted By: Booner1

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:44 PM

Son of a gun will hold a good bit of corn. Glad to see people being creative. My wife always comes out into the garage and asks "What are you building now?".

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:47 PM

Ha. Yea. We have the guys at work building these out of extra tubing that we are not gonna use. We have 9 built so far. Thinking about selling some too.
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 10:48 PM

Don't put near hogs. Looks good I made some like it out of pvc once and hogs/cows tore it to pieces. Strapped it to the tree nice and tight and got the same results.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/02/15 11:03 PM

They look good!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 01:32 AM

up
Posted By: Texasrebel649

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 01:48 AM

up Looks good!
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 01:49 AM

cheers

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 02:34 AM

Thanks guys. I think they will work. Should last forever being all aluminum.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 02:40 AM

How are you planning to mount them? Be neat if you could double the size of the mouth or even make a 4 way feed at mouth. Nice work though.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
How are you planning to mount them? Be neat if you could double the size of the mouth or even make a 4 way feed at mouth. Nice work though.

There are 2 square tubings attached on the bac side to run straps through.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 04:50 AM

cheers
Posted By: MikeC

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 01:51 PM

cheers
Posted By: Zach S

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 01:56 PM

Great work!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 02:07 PM

Nice design. How much do they hold?
Would be a cool supplement feed setup if you could mount about 4 of them around a good size tree trunk. Would have to hog panel around it though if you have hogs.

up
Posted By: TnT Taxidermist

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 03:17 PM

I'd be interested in buying a couple, I think those would work great on my mexico place for those older bucks that are feeder shy. How much you thinking they will sell for?
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 03:26 PM

I've been trying one of these Rednecks for protein. They work great. Use 5.5' t-post to get really secure. Hogs can't bother them. Only holds about 75 pounds though.

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 03:36 PM

How much will they hold?
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
How much will they hold?

Best guess looking at them 35 - 45 lb range. Pretty similar in size to the PVC tubes I use.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: JustWingem
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
How much will they hold?

Best guess looking at them 35 - 45 lb range. Pretty similar in size to the PVC tubes I use.

I will let you know for sure here in a little while. We are about to fill one up to see how much it will hold. We are figuring 60-75lbs, but we will know for sure in a little while.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 04:06 PM

Looks Good up

Unfortunately my Chow Hounds would Plow through that in about 2 hours bang
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 04:08 PM

Would be good for feeding the Alfalfa Pellets I use for just a weekend setting..If I put out 100 pounds of the Alfalfa Pellets on a Fri afternoon, 50 per pen by Sunday Morning they will be gone.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Would be good for feeding the Alfalfa Pellets I use for just a weekend setting..If I put out 100 pounds of the Alfalfa Pellets on a Fri afternoon, 50 per pen by Sunday Morning they will be gone.

Sounds like you would need to add a drum on the top of these to keep up with your feed needs.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 06:45 PM

Just checked and they hold a little over 50 lbs.
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/03/15 07:34 PM

Nice!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
I've been trying one of these Rednecks for protein. They work great. Use 5.5' t-post to get really secure. Hogs can't bother them. Only holds about 75 pounds though.

roflmao You must not be hunting where you have hogs....
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: rkcurbow
Just checked and they hold a little over 50 lbs.

Guess you better live close, that would last about 3 days.
Posted By: kingstriper

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 03:33 PM

Very nice....

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
roflmao You must not be hunting where you have hogs....

Southern Oklahoma, my hogs are thick. use 5.5' t-post so you get a good 2' in the ground. also you can't see the 600 pound broadcast feeder right next to it. laugh hogs haven't bothered it at all.

if hogs end up taking out t-post you can always strap to tree.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 07:07 PM

Rob

Are those high enough up were the average hog can't reach? I have problems with the hogs rubbing against anything I put out. They figure out that rub= food dropping from the sky and they get after it!

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/04/15 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
Rob

Are those high enough up were the average hog can't reach? I have problems with the hogs rubbing against anything I put out. They figure out that rub= food dropping from the sky and they get after it!

ha, I haven't had problems with them getting in yet, but that is only a 4' t-post, I'm going to longer ones so they're more secure and higher.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/05/15 12:59 AM

IME Once a hog learns to rub up against that feeder to get corn out they will knock it down. Big boar will rare up on it or push it over. Put a camera on it so you can see what happens to it over the next month or so.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/05/15 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
IME Once a hog learns to rub up against that feeder to get corn out they will knock it down. Big boar will rare up on it or push it over. Put a camera on it so you can see what happens to it over the next month or so.

Survived 5 months so far, there is a camera on it.

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/05/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Survived 5 months so far, there is a camera on it.

I have had hogs eat from mine that are similar to Robs and the aluminum ones we built. They haven't torn them down yet. 2 of them have been up for 3 years or more.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/05/15 03:03 AM

The guys that leased my place last year didn't take my advice and used cheap feeder motors without the spin tech plates. When the batteries died from the coons tearing up the solar wires (saw the corn, so went after it), the hogs found out that they could get golden nuggets by rubbing the legs (they were tied down good with t-posts too), they continued going after them until all 5 feeders were on the ground! Tore all of them up by getting the lids tore open. They spent more money fixing the feeders than new ones would have costs. Some of their feeders were the custom built ones that were very costly. 300lb plus wild boar can tear up some equipment when it is Jan/Feb, cold and they are hungry with very little natural groceries to eat (they didn't take my advice on food plots either!).

Re: New Deer Feeders - 02/05/15 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
The guys that leased my place last year didn't take my advice and used cheap feeder motors without the spin tech plates. When the batteries died from the coons tearing up the solar wires (saw the corn, so went after it), the hogs found out that they could get golden nuggets by rubbing the legs (they were tied down good with t-posts too), they continued going after them until all 5 feeders were on the ground! Tore all of them up by getting the lids tore open. They spent more money fixing the feeders than new ones would have costs. Some of their feeders were the custom built ones that were very costly. 300lb plus wild boar can tear up some equipment when it is Jan/Feb, cold and they are hungry with very little natural groceries to eat (they didn't take my advice on food plots either!).

It could happen
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum