Texas Hunting Forum

Herc's Kill

Posted By: Texmel

Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:31 PM

Living on 1.5 ac with pecan & hackberry trees have good many squirrels running around. Herc has spent untold hrs stalking the fleet footed critters. This morn he and I was in the study looking out over front yard. Low and behold one of the squirrels went up a small live oak tree. Herc went directly to front door. I opened the door and he shot off like a rocket. Treed the squirrel. As I was walking up to the tree, the squirrel jumped out. Definitely the wrong move on his part. Herc pinned him to ground and finished him off. He was quite possessive of the squirrel at first, but finally let me pick the squirrel up. Herc will have fresh meat in his evening meal.

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:35 PM

Sweet
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:35 PM

My dog has figured out that if he launches his body at our back fence when a squirrel is running across, it'll sometimes dislodge their footing and they'll fall into the yard.

He gets a few a year that way. I typically only find their tails (yes, he actually eats the head).
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:37 PM

up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:39 PM

My FIL's Dalmation got ahold of a possum once. It didn't end well for the possum.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
My dog has figured out that if he launches his body at our back fence when a squirrel is running across, it'll sometimes dislodge their footing and they'll fall into the yard.

He gets a few a year that way. I typically only find their tails (yes, he actually eats the head).

When we moved into the city, my Rott figured that trick out for cats. That dog hated cats...
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 07:13 PM

That's awesome! One way to train him to provide for himself! I know a lot of ppl can learn something from ol' Herc! cheers
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 07:37 PM

Tree rats, my yard has probably 30 or more, my German Shepherd stalks them and occasionally ill find a tail in the yard so I guess he has gotten a few.
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 07:52 PM

up
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 07:59 PM

My Boston Terrier is the squirrel hating-ist dog their is. He's yet to get one though.

From sun up to sun down, that dog is on squirrel patrol.

He doesn't cut the neighbor's cat any slack, either. He trees that thing on a regular basis.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 09:16 PM

Love to see the tree rats meet their demise. Congrats to Herc. cheers
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 09:19 PM

banana
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/22/15 09:54 PM

Good pup! up
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/23/15 02:10 AM

You go Herc. Those tree rats can wipe out a peach orchard quicker than you can grab your gun...I feel the same about them as SniperRAB feels about raccoons. rifle
Posted By: kry226

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/23/15 11:21 AM

Love a dog that still has those instincts. Tree rats can be heck on a corn feeder too.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 01:18 PM

my huskies are hell on rabbits, gobble them right up. They've racked up quite the kill record in my yard.
Posted By: Geezer Ranger

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: sdunshee
my huskies are hell on rabbits, gobble them right up. They've racked up quite the kill record in my yard.
Yep, huskies are hell on wildlife. Mine made a huge dent in the possum population in our neighborhood. The sound of crunching bones is really unnerving. He ate everything but the tails.
Posted By: Western

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: cameron00

When we moved into the city, my Rott figured that trick out for cats. That dog hated cats...

Good dog scared
Posted By: Ntgrty

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 04:47 PM

We have the "rabbit 500" as our pup chases them around the pool if they slide out on the 1st turn they are goners as she cuts the corner with a leap - 1st one was hers to keep - now she just lays them down after crushing them and waits for a treat! ninja

Gotta love the stride of a Rhodesian
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
up
Posted By: erok11

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 07:13 PM

Job well done Herc. up

We have a couple of Rotts. The female doesn't let much get away. On the other hand, our male isn't exactly the hunter. Unfortunately for him (and me) the only thing he nabbed was a skunk and dropped it on the back patio.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/24/15 08:14 PM

Get 'em Herc!!! I had a girlfriend once whose father had an old dog that LOVED chasing squirrels. The dog had gotten old and slow, though, and try as he might they'd gotten too quick for him. Her dad would sit under a pecan tree every now and then and "wing" one with a pellet gun just enough to knock it out of the tree and make it gimpy enough for the old dog to catch. Girlfriend thought it was horrible, I thought it was kinda' cool of her dad.
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/25/15 03:21 PM

My dog Nala loves chasing squirrels and if she could climb trees, those furry footed ones would be in some deep sh!t. LOL.
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: Herc's Kill - 01/27/15 04:03 PM

cant beat a good lab!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum