Texas Hunting Forum

Grayson County Buck Down!

Posted By: BTL

Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:28 AM

Hey everyone it's been one of the best days ever! I shot my first deer today and wow was it awesome. I've seen this buck a few times in last two years on my cameras and this year a friend of mine let me borrow his crossbow to see if I could take him. Well today it went down! At 8am he walked in behind a doe and two button bucks and I was there waiting for him. At 30yards I hit him broadside with the "rage" and that "WHACK" sound is one of the most awesome sounds I've ever heard!

I won't bore you guys with a long story, so here's some pics:

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:29 AM

Dang. Thats the way to finish a season. Great buck.
Posted By: Bluetex

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:29 AM

Wow, congrats! Nice deer
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:37 AM

Super buck! up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:38 AM

Yep, will see that in the TTH most likely. Congrats!

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Thanks everyone! What's TTH mean?
Posted By: erok11

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:43 AM

Heck of a deer. Congrats !
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: BTL

I think he's referring to Texas Trophy Hunters magazine.

With that as your first buck, you are spoiled for life! eeks333 Most hunters spend a lifetime in the woods and never take a buck that big. Congrats!
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:04 AM

Tremendous!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:05 AM

Wow. Great buck. Congrats !!!

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: rattler03

With that as your first buck, you are spoiled for life! eeks333 Most hunters spend a lifetime in the woods and never take a buck that big. Congrats!

Hehe, that's funny you say that because I took the buck to a place called Kuby's in Dallas today and all of the guys there were saying the same thing. He's definitely a special buck and the good Lord really blessed me today.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:19 AM

What part of grayson are you hunting?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:43 AM

Great buck, guess you are glad you let the 7pt walk now
Posted By: BMD

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:44 AM

Congrats
Posted By: hawk

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:48 AM

WOW! woot What a buck! Congratulations!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:48 AM

That's a great buck. Congratulations.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 07:52 AM

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 12:23 PM

Great buck cheers
Posted By: Western

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 12:47 PM

Super, great 1st deer!!!!! Don't want to bust your bubble, but it will likely be a spell before you see another "hoss" like that big dude! Congrats on a fine buck
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 12:50 PM

That's a dream first buck. Congrats on a great deer. cheers
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 01:24 PM

X2
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great buck cheers
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 01:40 PM

Heckuva buck, congrats.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 02:03 PM

Super buck
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 02:23 PM

awesome buck up

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

I promised my family friend that I wouldn't tell anyone his farm location, but I can tell you it was in the Whitewright area. He told me yesterday that's the first deer taken on his place in over 27 years, so it was really special for all of us.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and yes I agree it's a once in a lifetime buck, but I can attest when God wants to do something big he really knows how to do it. A good buddy who's a long time hunter was in the stand with me and before the day started we shared a pretty intense prayer and right then and there I knew it was going to be a special day.
Posted By: krod777

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:00 PM

Congrats and continued success as u never know in that county.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:31 PM

Congrats on the 'buck of a lifetime' for your first one!
WOW!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:37 PM

Awesome buck from an area not too far from my house. Guess I'm stupid since I drive 3 to 4 hours to hunt when there are monster bucks like this in my own backyard so to speak.
Congratulations on a buck of a lifetime.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:54 PM

great looking deer, congrads
Posted By: swmays

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 03:58 PM

Ding dang man! Great buck. Congratulations.

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:02 PM

Hey does anyone have Lynn Burkhead's contact information (If so please PM it to me)? I always read his articles about Grayson County hunting, so I thought I would send him some pics and the story.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Curly

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:33 PM

flehan
Posted By: Texican

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

I promised my family friend that I wouldn't tell anyone his farm location, but I can tell you it was in the Whitewright area. He told me yesterday that's the first deer taken on his place in over 27 years, so it was really special for all of us.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments and yes I agree it's a once in a lifetime buck, but I can attest when God wants to do something big he really knows how to do it. A good buddy who's a long time hunter was in the stand with me and before the day started we shared a pretty intense prayer and right then and there I knew it was going to be a special day.

up
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 05:02 PM

awesome. congrats
Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 05:06 PM

Congrats on the patience, I know you're a Happy Guy now. That's a dandy for sure!

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 05:19 PM

Here's trail cam pic of the first time he showed up this year. I only saw him on camera twice and on Sunday I watched him walk around the camera like he knew it was there. It really makes you think they're smarter than we think. smile

You can also see in this pic that he broke off a couple of small tines fighting because yesterday I could see where a couple had been broken off.

Posted By: Buck_N_Hook

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 06:11 PM

very cool...congrats
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 06:25 PM

Very Nice!! Congrats!!!
Posted By: GreenAggie

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 06:33 PM

Nice buck, Congrats!! up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 08:42 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 09:01 PM

Great buck Congrats
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/05/15 09:14 PM

Hey does anyone have Lynn Burkhead's contact information (If so please PM it to me)? I always read his articles about Grayson County hunting, so I thought I would send him some pics and the story.

Thanks for the help.

I'm sure you can use the contact info on the Herald Democrat site. He's an excellent writer & I'm sure he'd love to pass your story on to his readers.
You killed a fine old buck.

Here's a link to Lynn Burkhead's latest article. It's a good one.
http://heralddemocrat.com/sports/varsity/lynn-burkhead-texas-deer-hunting-so-many-many-things

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/06/15 01:05 AM

Dropped him of at the taxidermy this evening and now the wait begins! Oh you guys forgot to tell me that after you kill a big buck you're going to spend a lot of money! Ouch processing and mounts can put a hurting on the pocket book.

Thanks again for all the comments!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/06/15 03:48 AM

Great Deer..congrats.

What would you estimate was his bodyweight at? In the trailcam pic he looks pretty hefty, but for whatever the reason (and I am not being negative, maybe it's the camera angle ) his body looks smaller in the pic with you holding the antlers. Again, just curious if he was that run down from the rut or if it was the camera angle.

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/06/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyinVA
Great Deer..congrats.

What would you estimate was his bodyweight at? In the trailcam pic he looks pretty hefty, but for whatever the reason (and I am not being negative, maybe it's the camera angle ) his body looks smaller in the pic with you holding the antlers. Again, just curious if he was that run down from the rut or if it was the camera angle.

He's definitely hefty, so it's probably the angle of the picture making him look smaller. The farmer had a scale that would measure up to a 160lbs and it bottomed out as soon we strung him up. My estimate is that he weighed about 215lbs because I'm 6'5 200lbs and it took two men with all there might to lift him into the back of the truck.
Posted By: wayne22-250

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/07/15 02:24 AM

Nice Buck
Posted By: Tophers

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/07/15 03:57 AM

Awesome buck. Congrats
Posted By: yankeebasser

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/07/15 01:25 PM

Congrats very nice buck
Posted By: boliverpete

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/07/15 04:11 PM

Awesome deer
Posted By: J4dguns

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/07/15 11:58 PM

Nice deer
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/08/15 12:45 AM

Awesome first buck!

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/08/15 03:20 PM

Thanks again guys!

My buddy that took some pics that day sent them to me yesterday and I really like this one because to me it gives a better perspective on the size of the buck.

Posted By: UT#1

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/09/15 05:54 AM

Great job on your 1st buck! It will be a challenge to get a bigger buck on the wall for you BTL. But, all mature bucks have a mystique that makes it easy to find something you love about them.
Posted By: 209HUNTER

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/10/15 12:02 AM

BTL, do what you want, but I would be very careful about putting the story of that buck in the paper. I know several guys from Grayson County who have regretted it after the fact. That is an amazing buck and I know you want people to see it, but when people start finding out where you hunt, and they will, it will bring unwanted attention to your area. Sounds like you have a pretty good connection to your property and it wont get taken away from you, but other people will flood to your area trying to get permission from anyone and everyone in the area. I know nothing about your place, and I'm sure you aren't the only one hunting that area, but you don't want more people around you. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I wanted to offer you some advise. Congrats on the buck! He is a STUD!!

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/10/15 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: 209HUNTER
BTL, do what you want, but I would be very careful about putting the story of that buck in the paper. I know several guys from Grayson County who have regretted it after the fact. That is an amazing buck and I know you want people to see it, but when people start finding out where you hunt, and they will, it will bring unwanted attention to your area. Sounds like you have a pretty good connection to your property and it wont get taken away from you, but other people will flood to your area trying to get permission from anyone and everyone in the area. I know nothing about your place, and I'm sure you aren't the only one hunting that area, but you don't want more people around you. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I wanted to offer you some advise. Congrats on the buck! He is a STUD!!

Good point I never really thought of that so I'll definitely think twice before sharing because I know exactly what you mean. Someone just last month was sharing with me where Dale shot his big buck last year and how his place is now close by there now. duel

Plus I actually had some hunters setup on the fence line this year (2 ladder stands and a ground blind), so I'm thinking someone new something about this buck.
Posted By: 209HUNTER

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/11/15 12:02 AM

I'm sure people already know exactly where you shot your buck. Big deer make people do crazy things, so be prepared for more fence line hunters and more people in your immediate area. I didn't understand why people in some of these archery only counties were so secretive about their places and the deer they were hunting until I got a place to hunt here in Grayson. Several people know where I hunt (its hard to keep that a secret), but I don't let pics leave my phone unless it is to a very select few people.
Posted By: taylormade820

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 01/12/15 12:24 AM

Congrats!! When did you shoot him? Jan 4th?

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/28/15 03:24 PM

Hey everyone I got my buck back and I thought I would share:

Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/28/15 04:30 PM

Looks great
Posted By: Monster_Raxx

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 12:49 AM

Looks great
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 12:50 AM

cheers
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 01:13 AM

Congratulations Sir up
Posted By: BA223

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 01:19 AM

That's a NICE one... Congrats!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 04:21 AM

Beautiful deer up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 01:02 PM

Turned out excellent. Congrats again. cheers
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 01:31 PM

very nice buck brother.....very nice.

We have close to 200 acres up where the Ralph Hall lake is supposed to be going in and haven't been up there in 8 years. There were deer there.......guess I need to go check it out.

Mount turned out great up

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 02:06 PM

Thanks guys! I'm going to try and get him scored this week. I called a couple of guys off the official scoring list that live close by me and they've generously offered to score him.

Anyone want to guess before I post the results?
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 02:22 PM

Great buck and mount and even more awesome is that you gave God all the Glory.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 02:35 PM

up

Re: Grayson County Buck Down! - 04/29/15 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntingTexas
Great buck and mount and even more awesome is that you gave God all the Glory.

Thanks and yes the Good Lord get's all of it.

This whole event was orchestrated by him and the things that occurred over those few days can only be his explained through his glory. Here's a quick snapshot of what happened that day:

I’ve been a hunter for about 5 years and my time is usually spent hunting hogs and ducks because I don’t own a bow and have a hunting spot in an archery only county (Grayson). I’ve killed a fair amount of hogs on my place, but have always seen a bunch of deer and have joked with my deer hunting buddies about how deer keep eating my hog corn. During our dialogs about them I would show them some of the bucks that had been showing up on my cameras and they’ve always expressed that I’ve got some big deer at my place, so after 2yrs of watching them and getting some extraordinary bucks on camera I decided it was time to try and take one down. Since I don’t own a bow I ended up borrowing a buddy’s crossbow (Tenpoint) and on Sunday Jan 4th the good Lord blessed me with one of the biggest days of my life!

I had hunted 2 days straight (Fri & Sat) by myself in the rain, cold, and wind and during that time I must have prayed a thousand times for God to show me something special (With my life and for a great buck). During that time I saw over 15+ deer and let a large 7pt buck walk both days because I knew he just wasn’t the right one for me. Well on the last day of the season I was accompanied by a good friend who had been hunting for over 20 years (He was going to make sure I didn’t let that 7pt buck walk again). After climbing into to my two man tree stand at 6am he shared with me that if that 7pt point comes in again that I need to decide right now that I’m going to shoot it and my response was “Man, I just don’t know. I honestly think God’s got something big planned today”, so me and my buddy through up one of those game changer prayers and right then and there I knew Jesus had something special planned and all I have to say is he went Big! At about 8am this monster walked in behind some button bucks that we’re sparring a few minutes earlier and the cat and mouse of me getting a perfect shot took about 30 minutes, but when the time was right he stood in front of me at 20 yards and everything went perfect. I was so excited and my poor buddy almost fell out the tree stand because he was hyperventilating! It was my first ever deer kill, with a crossbow that I only test fired once, on a buck I’ve only seen on camera a few times in 3yrs, on a low fence farm, and on the last day of the hunting season. You just couldn't make it more perfect!

Here's the link to the 7pt I passed on those couple of days and if you read the comments there was definetly an influence to take the 7pt. Only by God's grace did all of this work out.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5530333/1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum