Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns

Posted By: tlk

Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/04/15 10:27 PM

I am planning on having a workshop/storage/garage/barn type building built and looking for ideas. I would like something that I can drive my RTV into, store my hunting gear, have a workbench, etc. I am thinking concrete floors, tall ceiling, fully insulated. Not sure whether to go metal or wood - if metal I would probably rock the outside. Any pictures/feedback of what any of you have done is appreciate. I am thinking 20x40 range but not sure if that is big enough for all I want it for.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/04/15 10:29 PM

It doesn't matter how big you make it, it is never going to be big enough...

I would say a concrete floor metal building would be the best. Atleast 20ft tall.

Walter
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 03:27 AM

Once you decide how big you want it, DOUBLE the size and add covered overhang at least the length of one side then it will be what is needed....hahahaha
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 03:40 AM

Originally Posted By: wtjim
Once you decide how big you want it, DOUBLE the size and add covered overhang at least the length of one side then it will be what is needed....hahahaha

up

Check out the garage journal. There are some good ideas and awesome shops on there.

Walter
Posted By: ckat

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 04:23 AM

Mine is a 30x30 plus a 12' lean-to on one side. Size was limited by my budget. I wanted/could use bigger, but I couldn't swing it. I feel blessed to have it, though. Some thoughts on what was important to me:

1) Doors (or controllable openings) on opposite sides of the building for ventilation. It makes a world of difference in the summer heat.

2) An insulated sectional overhead door instead of a roll-up. You lose some overhead space/light, but the strength and insulation is worth the trade-off. Also, electric openers are readily available for sectionals.

3) I have 12' sidewalls that allowed for a 4'x30' storage loft at 8' high. It is AMAZING how much can be stored up there and out of your useable space.

4) Insulation - for climate control and dust control. Spray on is best, but you pay dearly for it. It was almost 3x the price of vinyl-backed roll insulation when I built my shop. What ever you get, it is money well spent.

I will try to locate some pictures of mine. Nothing fancy, but I love it.

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 04:26 AM

Another thing... electrical outlets - EVERYWHERE!!! You can't have too many.

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 04:42 AM

Prior to finishing:

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ckat
Prior to finishing:

thanks for all the info and pictures - very nice set up - that gives me a great starting point
Posted By: kry226

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 04:58 PM

Garage Journal is great. Now it's hard for me to say this...cough...gag... but check out Pinterest. Maybe the wife has an account? My wife does, and she's always collecting pics and ideas for the barndo we're going to build when I retire. She's shown me a lot of great pics from that site and it has given us many ideas. YMMV.

whip

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/05/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
Garage Journal is great. Now it's hard for me to say this...cough...gag... but check out Pinterest. Maybe the wife has an account? My wife does, and she's always collecting pics and ideas for the barndo we're going to build when I retire. She's shown me a lot of great pics from that site and it has given us many ideas. YMMV.

whip

Hey I am not proud! Thanks I will check it out - or should I have said have my wife check it out?
Posted By: yankeebasser

Re: Looking for ideas/photos of workshops/barns - 01/07/15 02:51 AM

mine is 30x56 under roof still not big enough I will try to post pics
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum