Texas Hunting Forum

Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl

Posted By: randallss7

Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 01:48 PM

I had a guy want a caping knife this is what I ended up making, nothing to much out of the ordinary for a caping knife same general shape and size as most others This one is made from 1/8" 0-1 tool steel with hammered copper bolster and pins with stabilized California Buckeye burl (the copper and buckeye was customer request). I think it would look better with a slight acid etch on the blade and if I smooth out the bolster a little bit, maybe force a patina on it also, what do you guys/girls think?

Posted By: Western

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 02:42 PM

Looks OK to me, if that's what they want, that's what you do. (as long as the check clears grin)
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 03:39 PM

I agree with your suggestions. Still really like it how it is, but that would give it a more unique look and tie everything together. With the copper and scales the blade looks too clean and shiny. I really like the way the copper pins look with the scales and bolsters. up
Posted By: texretvet

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 03:46 PM

up
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 04:55 PM

I really like that shape
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 06:07 PM

Nice!!!

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I agree with your suggestions. Still really like it how it is, but that would give it a more unique look and tie everything together. With the copper and scales the blade looks too clean and shiny. I really like the way the copper pins look with the scales and bolsters. up

I couldn't resist back out to the shop to clean up the bolster and lightly etch the blade, I like this look a lot better. Now as far as performance it wont make a difference. I use a lot of 0-1 tool steel for my high carbon customers for several reasons, one its awesome steel, two its priced right, 3 its a pleasure to use and sharpen.

Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 07:13 PM

Looks good...
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/04/15 07:39 PM

Just what the doctor ordered...looks great. cheers

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/05/15 01:12 AM

Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/05/15 01:24 AM

That is really nice! up
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Caping knife in copper and buckeye burl - 01/05/15 02:56 AM

That looks awesome. I really like the copper.

Walter
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum