Texas Hunting Forum

Muddy 165# Boar

Posted By: ZenArchery

Muddy 165# Boar - 01/01/15 05:03 PM

Thermaled this hog at 400 yards around 4:30am. I watched it for about 10 minutes before waking up my buddy Shawn. I couldn't really tell if it was a hog or deer. It had long legs and an incredibly long snout. He wasn't feeding the way hogs typically feed. I had Shawn make a confirmation before we hiked 300 yards through trees and mud.

We geared up and got within 200 yards and were still not convinced it was a hog. If you've ever watched hogs at night they behave and move in a particular way. Well this hog wasn't behaving and moving like a hog.

Finally, within 125 yards we both confirmed it was just a really odd looking hog. We stalked up another 20 yards and decided to not get into the open because the wind was swirling. We prepared for the shot but the hog constantly faced away. We just had to be patient. Let me tell you Shawn is way more patient then me. We waited for a good 10-12 minutes before he finally gave us a broadside shot.

Shawn aimed for the neck. I aimed for the long. We started countdown "1 & 2 & 3 & - Bang." Shots rang simultaneously giving this 160ish pound boar a mud nap!

Video if you wanna watch rifle http://youtu.be/YS-urLxxnig
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Muddy 165# Boar - 01/01/15 05:22 PM

That is a long snouted one. Congrats!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Muddy 165# Boar - 01/01/15 05:28 PM

congrats
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Muddy 165# Boar - 01/01/15 07:55 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum