Texas Hunting Forum

What's this 8 point score??

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:01 PM

This buck has been coming to my place the past three years. Each year he shows up right around the first of December. I know he is at least 5 years old from looking at last year and the year before pictures. He actually looked bigger bodied last year and did not put on a whole lot from last year to this year except for a bit of tine length and some mass. His right brow tine was actually about 2.5 - 3" longer last year.

What do you all think he scores? He is a slick 8 except for a small kicker on his left brow tine.

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:03 PM

Got some tine length my guess would be 133ish
Posted By: cameron00

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:08 PM

I don't know, but he's awesome.
Posted By: jseago

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:08 PM

130 top end, pretty buck
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:31 PM

Got good beams and brows and tines. Added up I get to 134 and change. Just looking at him, my off the cuff guess is 130.

Stud of a buck and looks plenty mature.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:44 PM

Beam length might surprise me, but I think mid 30's. Great looking 8 up
Posted By: JustWright

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:45 PM

One way to find out for sure. rifle
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 05:55 PM

Nice one
Posted By: UT#1

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 06:55 PM

138-139"
Posted By: rattler03

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 07:03 PM

136" nice mature buck
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 08:04 PM

Around 135 more or less. Nice mature 8 pt buck.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 08:06 PM

Mid to upper 130s, good mass and good tine length. Mainbeam length and spread will short him a bit scorewise.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 08:15 PM

Who cares stud eight!!!!

Boom!! upper 30's
Posted By: Justin T

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/17/14 08:48 PM

Low 130s.
Posted By: wild1tx

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/18/14 02:20 AM

Right at 130 , good luck!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/18/14 01:46 PM

I'd rifle and find out!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/18/14 02:57 PM

Agree, Low 130s
Posted By: slimpickens

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:08 AM

Low 140's
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 06:23 AM

Very nice buck! 124-129. I don't think he will break 130

Depending on what part of the state your in he might only be 3.5

If he is a hill country buck then could be older.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Around 135 more or less. Nice mature 8 pt buck.

cheers
Posted By: lawndart956

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 01:42 PM

I was lucky enough to get one that could be his twin this year. He grossed 129 5/8 Great deer!
Posted By: Western

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: wild1tx
Right at 130 , good luck!

My thoughts too

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:06 PM

Thanks fellas for all the scores.
I kind of pulled a fast one on you guys because I laid the wood to this old boy Monday evening.
I didn't do it to be a Smarta$$ but just to see if most of you would underscore him just like we did. Like most of you here, I also was a bit fooled by this buck and though he'd be in the mid 30s.

He scores 145 6/8 and is my 2nd best buck to date.
He is one hell of a buck for our area without a doubt and I'm very thankful and proud to have taken him.

I will post the pictures, story, and measurements on a new thread called HOUSE BUCK #2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS
I kind of pulled a fast one on you guys because I laid the wood to this old boy Monday evening.
I didn't do it to be a Smarta$$ but just to see if most of you would underscore him just like we did. Like most of you here, I also was a bit fooled by this buck and though he'd be in the mid 30s.

He is one hell of a buck for our area without a doubt and I'm very thankful and proud to have taken him.

I will post the pictures, story, and measurements on a new thread called HOUSE BUCK #2

Lol that's a once in a lifetime 8pt

Stud!!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:20 PM

U got me by a little bit, I was one of the higher scores, mid-upper 130s. I could see his tine length and mass, I probably shorted him a tad on mainbeam length and spread. Great buck for sure!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:39 PM

Dang! Hell of a buck, you need to get that other post up already...
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 03:43 PM

No problem doing that. It's nice to know sometimes what a guess a buck will score and what it really scores. But I did miss it a lot. I said low 130's, That's a long way off of 145 6/8 and I pride myself on getting fairly close. At least if I had shot him, he would not have had any "ground shrinkage," which is a problem for most of us hunters.lol
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 07:38 PM

You out of tags yet? peep

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Lol that's a once in a lifetime 8pt

Stud!!

Yes sir, he's a great deer indeed especially for my place.
I've got another one on the wall from south texas that is right at 148 but he does have a G4 that is 1 1/8" long or he'd have been a slick 8 nearly 147". Both I guess are really 9 points..........BUT I'LL TAKE EM! LOL

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid

U got me by a little bit, I was one of the higher scores, mid-upper 130s. I could see his tine length and mass, I probably shorted him a tad on mainbeam length and spread. Great buck for sure!

DQK, I also missed him by 4" on beams as I had given him 42". I missed the mass by a little two as I didn't think he was much heavier than the first buck I'd shot.
I think what also threw me off was that he dressed 135 on the money run down. He didn't have a lick of fat in him so I suspect he would have been a solid 150 lb dressed deer a month or so ago which is damn big for our area for sure.

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. T.
No problem doing that. It's nice to know sometimes what a guess a buck will score and what it really scores. But I did miss it a lot. I said low 130's, That's a long way off of 145 6/8 and I pride myself on getting fairly close. At least if I had shot him, he would not have had any "ground shrinkage," which is a problem for most of us hunters.lol

Amen to that Mr. T.

If I'm off on a typical deer it is usually this direction and not the other. I learned that paid hunters like it better when you tell them a buck is 152 and he goes 158 much better than 149 7/8"

LMAO

Re: What's this 8 point score?? - 12/19/14 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
You out of tags yet? peep

LMAO

MLDs bro............................................ bolt

1 buck tag left and I suspect that is enough for me at my place for the next 4-5 years at least.
I actually feel really bad having harvested two very nice bucks off my small place in one year even though we had not taken a deer off of it the 5 years we've owned it before. Hell, I even called my neighbor to apologize to him just after shooting him and he laughed and told me congratulations and that he was happy for me as it was a mature deer and he didn't have a single picture of him anyway.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum