Texas Hunting Forum

Florida Mountains Ibex

Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:09 PM

I had a buddy draw a once in a lifetime tag this year (his first time applying, Ive applied 15 years and never drawn)for ibex in the Florida Mountains. It was absolutely nuts, the whole thing. You hike straight uphill, then go rock climbing, then have to figure out a way to get down - and you do that about 2 or 3 times a day. We figured it wouldnt be that hard, only 25 tags and the mountains are only 10 miles long. We were wrong, spotting these tiny things requires a spotting scope - binoculars rarely work. Then when you find them you get to start hiking to them, and most of the time you get busted or they just disappear into the cliffs - after you had hiked 3 hours to get to them. We didnt have radios, huge disadvantage as all the guides out there had 2 or three spotters with radios telling the hunters where the ibex were while hiking. It got very frustrating after 3 days of walking out butts off then coming up empty handed. On the last day, I ran into an old friend who showed us where he had seen some ibex earlier in the day - then offered to hike with us to them. He pointed to the highest freaking spot on the mountain, and we tried to spot them and couldn't. But we decided to trust his judgement and took off towards the peak anyway. It took 2 hours to get to the point where we could actually see the peak, and we spotted a herd of about 45 goats. So we snuck around another point to a crack in the cliffs about 4 feet wide - this took another hour. When we spotted the goats, they were 472 yards away. I was calling marks off and best I could tell the goat was at 506 when he shot. He folded up and fell 200 yards before stopping, had a small bush not been there he would have gone another 500 yards. It took 45 minutes to get to the goat and by that time it was getting dark. So we gutted it, and hung it for the next morning....which meant we had to actually do that hike all over again. Just a crazy hunt in a crazy place.....I told my buddy he did that goat a favor by taking its life.

Biggest billy we saw, you have to look real close

Where he shot from

Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:44 PM

awesome! cheers
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:46 PM

What an amazing hunt. I've always wanted to put in for it. I better just go ahead and do it.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:50 PM

Congrats to you and your buddy.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:50 PM

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing and congrats to your buddy!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 10:53 PM

Great job! up Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 11:08 PM

Thanks for posting the photos and the report. Congrats on a fine looking Goat!! I Mule Deer hunted the Florida mountains in 1983/4 and I still remember those days as some of my most physically demanding days in the field ever. It was hot and windy everyday and I wore out a fairly new pair of hunting boots each year on those rocks! Thanks for the trip down memory lane....... now I think I'll go lie down. Baker
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/20/14 11:23 PM

no wonder the Apache liked the place
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 12:39 AM

Might have been a tough hunt but I bet its one you'll remember the rest of you life. Congrats.
Posted By: James A

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 01:46 AM

AWESOME!!!!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 01:53 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 02:01 AM

up Outstanding!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
up Outstanding!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 02:54 AM

Once in a lifetime draw. Congrats to your buddy!
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 03:55 AM

Great job and congrats. I actually live about an hr away from the Florida's and those are some of the nastiest, jagged, most unforgiving pile of rocks this side of the universe. Great pics but they really don't come close to showing how truly rugged those mountains are! cheers
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 04:08 AM

A long shot bucket list draw of mine. Congrats!!!!
Posted By: don k

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 01:14 PM

Congrats. on taking a very fine Ibex.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 01:29 PM

Sucker had a set on him.

Great pictures and congrats on an amazing hunt.
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Mako My Day
awesome! cheers

X2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: don k

cheers
Posted By: typical10

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 07:43 PM

Great animal, sounds similar to my mountain goat hunt in Idaho, except it took 9 days to get a shot and kill at 440 yards. Outstanding jeff~
Posted By: BlakeJ

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 08:50 PM

I didn't know Florida had mountains.....
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 08:55 PM

Wow greatness!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/21/14 11:25 PM

awesome! cheers
\\

X2
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/22/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/22/14 12:13 PM

awesome! cheers
That it is up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/22/14 04:39 PM

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pictures!!!

I drew a muzzle loader tag back in the 90's and spent two weeks there on my own without any luck. One of the hardest, most demanding physically and emotionally hunts I've ever been on. The wind was terrible and somewhere towards the end of the hunt, I lost my tent. It was just shredded up when I came back to camp and I spent the last couple of nights sleeping in the back of my Bronco. I had a fairly new pair of boots that where ruined by all the rocks. The leather just wore away to nothing in places. Many times I had my flashlight in my mouth while climbing up a rock wall praying that when the sun came up I would be able to find another way down.

I saw plenty of animals, but getting close enough for a muzzle loader proved beyond my ability. Seeing them on the rocks, and how fearless they are was truly the highlight of the trip!!!

Eddie
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Florida Mountains Ibex - 11/22/14 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: tdecker22
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

cheers
X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum