Texas Hunting Forum

EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA

Posted By: PWT

EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 08:18 AM

I went into this hunting season with a heavy heart, after losing my dad in February and then a really close friend in August. I have the honor to hunt the 29 acres my dad decided to buy and retire on. I knew this season would be a tough one, but I know he would want me to get after it! After a very slow start to the season, I began a little vacation time Sunday morning...

The rain set me back a little while for the Sunday morning hunt, and it turned out to be slow. At about 10:45 I caught some close movement, and watched a pair of bobcats move in at 18 yards from me. The little one bailed, while mom locked in on me and stopped, Bad move.

My first Cat

I headed out right at 3 that afternoon. After a short walk, I found a deer already out eating corn. Upon further inspection, it was a buck. I had to get into my position without spooking him and managed to do so. I watched him and almost took him, but decided not to. He was at about 175 yards when I showed up and eventually moved on.

After some buddys gave me heck for not taking him, I really struggled with my decision I had made. I figured he was gone, and then heard something in the woods upwind but close. He came back out at 18 yards, same spot the bobcat came out.

This pic shows his hoof prints(at the end of the sticks) where he came out and bolted when he saw me, and you can see the blood where I got that cat earlier, same trail, just different directions.

He ran 30-40 yards before I got him to slow up for a shot.

This was my first deer here on an evening hunt, and ended up leaving him hanging all night because of the cold weather. Monday morning I slept in, and took the deer to the processor.

After that, I decided to go out with the FoxPro and a new decoy for a mid-day hunt to see if I could get a coyote to show itself. 2 minutes into my second sound this hog showed up. 75 yards or more north and upwind of my call and decoy, he never even looked my way, but he did stop long enough.

This hog was massive, I killed one here a couple years ago that weighed 204, this dude was bigger, I fought with this heavy SOB enough to get him out of the woods for a pic, and there was no way I could get him loaded in the DeathWagon alone, so he was donated to the coyotes. I'll be back tomorrow to deal with them.

My dad was watching over me this weekend.

Thanks for looking.

Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 08:56 AM

up thanks for the share. Great way to honor your loved ones.
Posted By: Western

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 10:27 AM

I bet your dad would be proud of those animals, nice cat and great deer! Both would make great mounts up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 11:17 AM

Sounds like great trip with special memories. Nice buck cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 11:22 AM

Man that is a great day hunting up I could only imagine the thoughts of your dad going through your head during the day, congratulations I am sure your dad is very proud of you cheers
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 11:50 AM

Target Rich up
Congrats and gonna make some good mounts
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 12:37 PM

Awesome cat, awesome buck, and awesome hog too! Congrats to you! I'm sure your Dad was watching and is very proud of you! Thanks for sharing your story!
Posted By: Tx Geese

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:38 PM

Awesome recap for a really great story. Congrats, and thanks for sharing!
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:43 PM

up
Posted By: Cobbler

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:44 PM

Congrats. Better than my weekend.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:45 PM

A memorable day indeed! Sometimes animals just show up on parade when things fall together. Maybe your dad was leading the parade. Congrats. cheers
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:48 PM

What a great hunt!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Man that is a great day hunting up I could only imagine the thoughts of your dad going through your head during the day, congratulations I am sure your dad is very proud of you cheers

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 06:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
A memorable day indeed! Sometimes animals just show up on parade when things fall together. Maybe your dad was leading the parade. Congrats. cheers

definitely crossed my mind
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 07:06 PM

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 07:37 PM

You don't have many hunting weekends like that in your lifetime. Congratulations.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 07:44 PM

up
Posted By: EastTexasHag

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 08:10 PM

Congrats on a fantastic weekend. I know the memory thing. My Dad was not a deer hunter, but always made a point of sharing my kills with me. Very nice buck, bobcat, and hog. If you're done for the season, you've had a good one.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub

cheers crying makes me sad to think about ever having to hunt without my dad.
Posted By: Curly

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 09:03 PM

banana
cheers
up
Posted By: B_B_D

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 09:05 PM

Congrats to ya. coolpics
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 09:06 PM

Good stuff there amigo. Well done.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 09:07 PM

up
Posted By: matt1794

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 09:16 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 10:20 PM

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 10:21 PM

your dad was with you....
Posted By: JDPoulsen

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/18/14 10:52 PM

What a great hunt! Philip I know your Dad was watching over you and is very proud. I can't believe you did not shoot that buck when you first saw him. I know I would have smile
Posted By: ETXbuckman

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/19/14 04:23 AM

That is awesome! I know your dad was smiling down on you.

It's funny while reading your story I was thinking about the day I'll have to go without my dad. He's my best hunting buddy and I perish the thought. Although we have a lease outside of Trinity we primarily hunt on some land he bought last year when he retired and as it just so happens it's also in Anderson County.
Posted By: tex70

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/19/14 04:26 AM

cheers
Posted By: txshntr

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/19/14 04:27 AM

Great story, no doubt your dad was there with you. Congrats on a successful hunt and some dang fine animals up
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/19/14 03:15 PM

happy3
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/19/14 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Curly
banana
cheers
up

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/20/14 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: JDPoulsen
What a great hunt! Philip I know your Dad was watching over you and is very proud. I can't believe you did not shoot that buck when you first saw him. I know I would have smile

Thanks man! It was a dang good start to my vacation! That buck was destined for my freezer, I just didn't know it. You don't get many second chances around these parts cheers

There he goes....

Last trailcam pic as I let him go, meanwhile he was headed right back at me. cheers I guess it was meant to be...

Also went and got rid of that pig.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/20/14 01:18 PM

Amen brother. Your Dad was there the whole time. You just realized it a lil'later?! God bless and continue to honor your father by caring for his legacy in the land he left you. God Bless.
Posted By: AggieHunter2014

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/20/14 02:53 PM

awesome story and great kills
Posted By: DXB

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/20/14 07:53 PM

cheers
Posted By: NDN98

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/21/14 03:00 AM

Nice!
Posted By: cibolo

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/21/14 03:56 AM

Now that is a hunt. And you are lucky to have a place that you will always remember your pops and doing something you loved
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/21/14 07:10 AM

Thats a big pig!!!! And a great buck and kitty cat!!
Posted By: 01Z-71

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/23/14 12:30 AM

You cant beat a good buck in the back of a Chevy truck! I had a similar thing happen to me last year on opener of gun. Deer rutting all around me, and then 3 bobcats walk out together where the deer have been coming in at, shortly after a mature 5-point/legal too, steps out pushing a doe. Good hog, i think I would have peeled out his back strap and threw them over my shoulders. Isn't huntin' fun! I hunt in the Sabine National Forest, go through Lindale every year, see deer and hogs in area.
Posted By: P1DTAY

Re: EAST TEXAS TRIFECTA - 11/24/14 03:32 PM

banana cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum