Texas Hunting Forum

Coming home from the deer lease

Posted By: 10pointers

Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:40 AM

Coming home from the deer lease last Saturday night. I was looking forward to a little college football and some much needed sleep. As we approached I35 I told my wife look over there. Sure looks like something big is burning. As we got closer my wife started to get a little anxious. The fire was starting to be larger and in the direction of our home. I excused myself from my conversation with my brother on the phone and put the GMC in full throttle. We were now about a 1/2 mile from the house and it was either our house our next door neighbor’s house (this house was my wife’s Great Grandparents home and about 125 years old). We approached the drive and it was apparent that the neighbor’s house was engulfed. Excuse the photos it was dark.

The wind was blowing out of the north west and embers had started burning trees and the fence on my side of the property. 50 feet away was my grain drill , cattle trailer, car hauler, and around 30 round bales. Ijumped out of the truck grabbed a water hose and spent the evening putting out fires as they crossed over and tried to creep towards us. My brother arrived along with my daughter and grand daughter to help me and the wife out as much as the could.

The house was a total loss. My wife had a hard time handling that it was now gone. This is a photo the next morning.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:42 AM

Dang man that was a close call. Sorry for your neighbor but glad you saved your place.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:48 AM

Thankful that you are safe. I hope everyone else escaped unharmed as well.

Glad you were able to be there to put out the fires creeping towards your place.

We lost my family's place to a fire in the early 90's after a fire destroyed the original home in the 40's. Sad to see.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:50 AM

That is a tough one.
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:52 AM

Early this summer we spent $1200.00 removing the threat of this giant hackberry falling on the house as it was hollowing out and splitting on a path right toward the house.

The trunk of the Hackberry right next to the fire is still smoldering inside
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 04:17 AM

So Sorry Sir,
Have one baby photo of me due to this..
Glad there was no loss of life
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 04:25 AM

Wow. Glad ya'll aren't hurt. Little too close to home. Sure glad you got there in time and were able to stop the embers. So sorry for your neighbors loss.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 05:48 AM

Horrible thing to have happen. I worry about this in the country. Had a fire come close to us a few years ago. Solid cedar country. Glad that no one got hurt at y'alls place.
Posted By: Western

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 06:42 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Dang man that was a close call. Sorry for your neighbor but glad you saved your place.

Been through a house fire, nothing worse than starting over, thankfully I was young.
Posted By: LoneRanger220

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 12:30 PM

Dang that was a close one!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Been through a house fire, nothing worse than starting over, thankfully I was young.

X2. Nothing worse than standing outside your home watching it burn. The important thing is, that everyone is still alive. Sorry for your neighbor's loss, fires suck. Glad your home is OK.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 01:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your wife losing the home she grew up in, thankful you all were able to save your home!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
Thankful that you are safe. I hope everyone else escaped unharmed as well.

Glad you were able to be there to put out the fires creeping towards your place.

X2
Posted By: janie

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 02:20 PM

Always hate seeing this. So sorry that the neighbor's home was a total loss. Important thing is that everyone is okay.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 02:43 PM

objects can be replaced, friends and family cannot. Glad no one was hurt. Sorry for their loss.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/12/14 03:20 PM

Prayers up for all, glad no one was hurt.
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Coming home from the deer lease - 11/13/14 03:54 AM

Very sad
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum