Texas Hunting Forum

A few pics from these past few days....

Posted By: stxranchman

A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:33 AM

Since I used my 13"+ buck tag on last Friday, I am down to taking pics and shooting does/spike. So I am taking pics while I do some blind counts for numbers and ratios to see how many doe I need to kill. Not many mature bucks moving after Saturday morning much at all with the cooler weather. Some younger bucks and a few doe/fawns the past 3 mornings is about it.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:38 AM

Oh my

Posted By: esnow74

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:39 AM

Healthy cheers

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Oh my

bang No browtines that will measure...see the 2nd and 3rd pics of him from the front.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:45 AM

Good one for a kiddo to take up

Nice pics as always cheers

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Really was worried about his width since he is not that big of a bodied buck. I had him a bunch at 15-25 yards when I was hunting the haybale blind. He looks wide enough up close but not in these pics.
Thanks.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:50 AM

Great pics Stx. I always enjoy your sets.

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Oh my

bang No browtines that will measure...see the 2nd and 3rd pics of him from the front.

Yup thought that was him looks old as dirt too.. You got pics of him before? Are they broke or just not much there or both?
Posted By: txshntr

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

Really was worried about his width since he is not that big of a bodied buck. I had him a bunch at 15-25 yards when I was hunting the haybale blind. He looks wide enough up close but not in these pics.
Thanks.

Pics definitely make him look close. Still think he would make it but you know your deer better than me. Have someone shoot him and see peep

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:01 AM

That's not the 6 from last year is it

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:02 AM

That will be an interesting buck to watch the next few years

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:02 AM

Oh my

Yup thought that was him looks old as dirt too.. You got pics of him before? Are they broke or just not much there or both?

2012-best pic I could find quickly

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:04 AM

That will be an interesting buck to watch the next few years

That is antler damage in velvet. The left beam bows back in and around behind the browtine. I think I found both his sheds from last year (I only found 4 sheds total).
Posted By: Western

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:07 AM

In the 1st set of photos, last one, I bet you cringe when you let that wanna be 5 point walk (one on left) grin

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:10 AM

Nice to have a 5x at 2 for sure. That 8 ain't as old as I was thinking from those last few year pics

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
In the 1st set of photos, last one, I bet you cringe when you let that wanna be 5 point walk (one on left) grin

He is a youngster and a protein chow hound. I am pretty sure he is just a 1 yr old buck that has been eating protein for about a year now. I had a couple of nubbin buck fawns that were in the feed pens already last year in Sept.

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:34 AM

Nice to have a 5x at 2 for sure. That 8 ain't as old as I was thinking from those last few year pics

The 5x is a protein deer and he will get better with a normal rack next year. The wanna be 8 has never been in a feed pen. He will walk around it but won't jump into one. I have tons of night pics and he has never been in any of the pens on here. The 2012 pic was in a bad drought the whole year. The 2013 it rained better than this year. If he would jump in the pen and start on protein his brows might score.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 03:59 AM

Great pics, it's always a pleasure to see the bucks you hunt and photograph!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 04:09 AM

Great pics.
Posted By: Western

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 10:14 AM

He is a youngster and a protein chow hound. I am pretty sure he is just a 1 yr old buck that has been eating protein for about a year now. I had a couple of nubbin buck fawns that were in the feed pens already last year in Sept.

Just messin with you, Know how you like "spikish" bucks! I have been places that use no feed, where some bucks have wonderful eye gaurds and some of them don't, I'm sure you have been too. I can sure see where good timing with the protein, would help both classes of bucks though.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 10:49 AM

The buck in the second picture (and the others you posted of him) sure has a heck of a gut.

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 11:26 AM

Just messin with you, Know how you like "spikish" bucks! I have been places that use no feed, where some bucks have wonderful eye gaurds and some of them don't, I'm sure you have been too. I can sure see where good timing with the protein, would help both classes of bucks though.

They were both 5 points.grin The one on the right has one really good browtine and then none on the other side. The side with none is much smaller than the side with a browtine also. He just showed up here about 3 weeks ago and was fairly thin bodied compared to the bucks that are here everyday. Being as dry as it has this year I expect the deer that move in to be in worse body condition also. This little buck has also started to eat protein in the past week. It will be interesting to see if he stays or leaves after the season. I have bucks here with no/one browtine to short browtines to really good browtines. cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 11:27 AM

Those deer aren't missing any meals are they up

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
The buck in the second picture (and the others you posted of him) sure has a heck of a gut.

He is mature and pre-rut so it is expected. He also has been eating corn that I spread with the road feeder now for the past 3 months. So I would hope he would be fat. He is a corn dog and is out just about everytime I have sat this year. Just has never been in a feed pen and there are several other bucks that are the same way.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:00 PM

Great pics of a healthy crop
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 02:38 PM

Great pics. You are feeding them well. up
Posted By: DXB

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 05:48 PM

Great pics!
Posted By: bp3

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 05:57 PM

It's for sure that they haven't missed any meals food
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 06:14 PM

Those are some great photos. Love looking at your work.
Posted By: kry226

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 06:38 PM

Hey STX, what camera/lens/filter? combo you using?

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226

Those were with a Canon 7D and Canon 500mm lens.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 10:25 PM

Great pics thanks for sharing

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 10:26 PM

We just picked up a 7D, but with only 50mm and 28-135mm lenses, we're still short of a good selection of glass. Thanks.

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 10:34 PM

We just picked up a 7D, but with only 50mm and 28-135mm lenses, we're still short of a good selection of glass. Thanks.

Check on LandPirates thread in the Photo section to see the lens he is using. It takes really good pics and is not that high priced. cheers
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/05/14 11:16 PM

Great pictures as always.

Walter

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/06/14 11:21 AM

Thanks cheers

Re: A few pics from these past few days.... - 11/06/14 11:47 AM

Check on LandPirates thread in the Photo section to see the lens he is using. It takes really good pics and is not that high priced. cheers

I saw that and had asked what he was using too. Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum