Texas Hunting Forum

muzzle brakes and truck mirrors

Posted By: Closed Traverse

muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:26 PM

muzzle breaks.... Great for reducing recoil so you can extinguish an entire sounder of hogs....

Bad for truck mirrors.

No, it was not shot, the muzzle was just over the mirror, and when my buddy shot, the blast blew a hole in the back of it (non glass side) which also broke the glass.

Did kill five pigs though...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:30 PM

Never seen it, but heard of people that shattered the windshield by laying across the hood. I have felt the burst from my 300UM and wouldn't doubt it a bit.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:34 PM

Sure looks like a bullet hole in that second picture.

Pant buckets and mirrors...

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:37 PM

nope, def not a bullet hole.

If you look at it up close, it is clear that it it not a bullet hole, also I dont think much of the mirror would be left at all if the bullet and the muzzle blast coming out the end of the rifle hit it that close.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:44 PM

Now thats a Whiskey Dent bang
Posted By: dawaba

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:48 PM

The concussion of an un-braked .30-06 shooting across the hood of my pick-up once caused the rear-view mirror to "unglue" from the windshield and fall to the floorboard.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 04:59 PM

Yeah I shot a 300wsm across the hood of my truck one time... the windshield that had a small crack in it now looks like a spider web on one side
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:07 PM

I want to know how your gonna explain that one to your insurance agent! confused2

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
I want to know how your gonna explain that one to your insurance agent! confused2

new mirrors run about 30 bucks.
Posted By: Cast

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:11 PM

Buff it out.

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:21 PM

Sure looks like a bullet hole, think your buddy owes you a new mirror smile

Posted By: moderno

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:22 PM

up
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:24 PM

HMMM now looking at it I agree that its a bullet hole
Posted By: gbeard

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 05:58 PM

Even up close it looks like a bullet hole, and it even matches the exit hole. Looks like there is even a little powder residue around it.

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 06:03 PM

The old flash light test will set you buddy free or convict him! !!!
Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 06:14 PM

A co-worker had a Wthby 30-378 with a break. Hung it out the window of his brother in laws Toy L/C. Shredded the passenger mirror.

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 06:17 PM

Ill give it to you, it does look like a bullet hole, but if you look at it in the 3D world, you can tell that it wasn't.

Also, if it had gotten the full muzzle blast from the front of the gun, I dont think much of the mirror would still be there.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 06:19 PM

Worth getting 5 pigs for sure
Posted By: 12buckaroo

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 06:25 PM

Hate to admit to it. Last year while sighting in the boys 243 using the corner of our explorer for a rest. I took out the entire back glass. The concussion of the shot made the brackets twist beyond recognition. I had an overwhelming feeling of holy**** and you dumb arse all at one time.
Posted By: Tye

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon A
Ill give it to you, it does look like a bullet hole, but if you look at it in the 3D world, you can tell that it wasn't.

Also, if it had gotten the full muzzle blast from the front of the gun, I dont think much of the mirror would still be there.

Take a close up for us.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 07:56 PM

Where are you buying mirrors for $30 ? Harbor freight? Geez, friggin set of spark plugs cost $50 bucks these days.
Posted By: matt bohac

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 08:12 PM

almost looks like two holes. what gun/cal was he using?
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 08:17 PM

Have an acquaintance that had to buy a left handed semi-auto rifle to shoot out of the driver side of his truck. He kept complaining about right handed rifles ejecting brass and cracking his windshield. LOL
Posted By: SirDuke

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 08:27 PM

Whoops!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 08:41 PM

You should shoot the other one so they match eeks333

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid

Where are you buying mirrors for $30 ? Harbor freight? Geez, friggin set of spark plugs cost $50 bucks these days.

ebay

dealer wants 150.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 09:25 PM

It would still be there bc of how the MB directs the gasses. It'll burn and shatter, but it's not going to cut a trench like that.
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 10:52 PM

I hate muzzle brakes lol
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/27/14 11:13 PM

This is why most of us hunt out of trucks........ mirrors are a lot cheaper than back windows aim
Originally Posted By: 12buckaroo
Hate to admit to it. Last year while sighting in the boys 243 using the corner of our explorer for a rest. I took out the entire back glass. The concussion of the shot made the brackets twist beyond recognition. I had an overwhelming feeling of holy**** and you dumb arse all at one time.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 12:40 AM

if his muzzle brake did that he might want to get that looked at !!!
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 04:00 AM

That's some serious damage from a brake!

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Sure looks like a bullet hole, think your buddy owes you a new mirror smile

Do the flashlight test tonight!
Posted By: hermano W

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 04:14 AM

The barrel is lower than the sighting devise. That means you can be sighted in just right on the piggy, and hit the mirror...
Posted By: trjscout

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 04:36 AM

that's been happening to jeep mirrors and windshields before brakes were thought of!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 11:04 AM

Oops hammer
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 11:22 AM

eeks333
Posted By: stx44mag

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 12:08 PM

wow wife
Posted By: Buckbuster

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 12:40 PM

maybe looking thru a scope and didnt check his muzzle clearance.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 01:41 PM

I agree that it's a bullet hole. I've laid my brakes 270 across the hood and had burn marks in the paint. It made a V shaped burn, nothing was burnt directly below the muzzle. Seems to me if it was just from the blast then the large groove on the opposite side of the glass would have continued all the way through. It looks as if he shot the mirror in the top, evidence of the small hole, and it exited the front of the mirror, evidence of the large channel it made.

Prove us wrong! Test it on the other mirror. Same gun. This time you shoot it and video it. First shot with muzzle where you claim it was. Second shot with muzzle pointed at mirror. I'm sure we can get a THF fund going to buy you 2 new mirrors if you prove us wrong, if not then you're out $60
Posted By: BMD

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 01:45 PM

Blow it up and you can see the bullet hole.
Posted By: 817cd

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: trjscout
that's been happening to jeep mirrors and windshields before brakes were thought of!!!

+jeep mirrors come right off. You only need one to be legal right? shoot the, both off. Lucky your buddy didn't get some plastic or glass in his face.
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 09:17 PM

Gotta be more careful than that
Posted By: dkershen

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 10:46 PM

Seems like everyone I know that owns a muzzle braked gun has scared their truck (or a hunting buddies) at least one time learning this lesson. Don't the gunsmiths installing these things warn folks of the danger?
Posted By: dawaba

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/28/14 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Seems like everyone I know that owns a muzzle braked gun has scared their truck (or a hunting buddies) at least one time learning this lesson. Don't the gunsmiths installing these things warn folks of the danger?

+1.

Furthermore, I've never met a guide or PH that had anything good to say about them. They're ugly, they're loud, and they kick up more dust than a Class 5 tornado. But guys keep hanging them on their barrels anyway.

If you want your .338 to kick like a .30-06, just hunt with a .30-06!
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/29/14 01:59 AM

No need to provide a flashlight test. If you did someone would still dispute the results. and/or your story 2cents
Posted By: Gusval

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/29/14 04:19 AM

Time to get Matlock in here to draw a conclusion. Myself, I say a bullet. Contacts your local junkyard pick and pull and get you a replacement mirror.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/29/14 04:30 PM

muzzle breaks.... Great for reducing recoil so you can extinguish an entire sounder of hogs....

Bad for truck mirrors.

No, it was not shot, the muzzle was just over the mirror, and when my buddy shot, the blast blew a hole in the back of it (non glass side) which also broke the glass.

Did kill five pigs though...

Having been through a school or two on gunshots and ballistics I can tell you that there is no way on God's green Earth that this damage was caused solely by muzzle blast. In the first pic you can see that plastic is blown upward and outward. This means that something passed through and exited the plastic from within. The muzzle blast would have been external only.

This mirror was most definitely shot. This is not uncommon, even among military and law enforcement when shooting scoped or elevated sights. The shooter has clear view of the target through the sights, but fails to check for muzzle clearance.
Posted By: Sprman

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/29/14 09:33 PM

He shot the mirror for sure. He didn't have enough muzzle clearance. I've shot a bunch of pigs off a mirror with my 7mm mag with a muzzle break and never had anything close to this happening. Even shot off a hood a few times with no issues. Your buddy shot your truck. Plain and simple.
Posted By: Bluesea112

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 01/31/14 10:01 PM

My truck was being worked on a couple of months ago, so I was driving a rented SUV. I drove out to the lease and parked at the edge of a field to wait on the pigs. I rolled down the window and used it as a rest for the rifle. My night vision scope sits high enough on the rifle that I did not see the mirror in the scope picture. The bullet flew just left of the driver's side mirror, but the blast completely shattered the glass in the mirror. I was shooting my DPMS .308. Had to write a check to Enterprise for $225.00. I am still kicking myself for that stupid oversight.
Posted By: fishfree

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 02/01/14 04:53 PM

aim
Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 02/02/14 05:48 AM

I gotta go with the group on this one. I'd say your buddy didn't clear his muzzle of your mirror before his shot.
Posted By: rifleman_03

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 02/02/14 08:14 AM

That's a heated mirror based on the defrost picture on the glass. I don't know where you're going to find 1 of those for only 30 dollars. I'm going with the group on this 1, your buddy shot your mirror out
Posted By: BMD

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 02/02/14 08:21 AM

That is bullet hole!
Posted By: Redneck78

Re: muzzle brakes and truck mirrors - 02/02/14 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: HeidelbergJaeger
I gotta go with the group on this one. I'd say your buddy didn't clear his muzzle of your mirror before his shot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum