Texas Hunting Forum

Tired of corn thieves!

Posted By: LockhartHunter

Tired of corn thieves! - 12/28/11 06:24 PM

Between the turkey and squirrels during the day and the coons at night the deer don't stand a chance at the corn. I have squirrels waiting by my feeder before it goes off and soon as it goes off here come the turkey. Can't do anything about the turkey but throw rocks but I will be putting a dent in the squirrel population! These are the fattest squirrels I've ever seen, little bastages don't even have necks. Straight shoulder's to head. Thought it would spook the does off when I shot but they just looked at him spinning around the arrow trying to get off and went back to eating.

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:28 PM

Don't know why the pic came out fuzzy?

Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:33 PM

ive heard squirrel and dumplins are good..

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:35 PM

I can help with your tree rat problem.

rifle

food

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:36 PM

.22lr + tree rat = meal?

I've always wanted to try squirrel. Nice shot with the bow btw

Posted By: HoughTown

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:41 PM

x2 on the shot with the bow!

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 06:56 PM

Nice shot

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 07:10 PM

we are packing the .22 to the stand from here on out, out treerats are getting fat, and little man needs to cut his teeth on some live targets

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 07:35 PM

I too hate the corn thiefs but I hate dulling or breaking that $30 arrow and broad head assembly I'm throwing down range so I have a little different method of controlling the population. Tree rats will hang around your feeder all day long....so mid-day after all the deer have hit their bedding areas, you send your 14 year old kid who's had years of practice and gun safety drilled into his head since he was five down to the feeders with a single shot, open sighted Rossie .22 laugh

Recent handy work from last weekend grin

Posted By: Smiling Mallard

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TreeBass
we are packing the .22 to the stand from here on out, out treerats are getting fat, and little man needs to cut his teeth on some live targets

Priceless!!!!! up up up

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 08:32 PM

great shot!

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Smiling Mallard

I too hate the corn thiefs but I hate dulling or breaking that $30 arrow and broad head assembly I'm throwing down range so I have a little different method of controlling the population. Tree rats will hang around your feeder all day long....so mid-day after all the deer have hit their bedding areas, you send your 14 year old kid who's had years of practice and gun safety drilled into his head since he was five down to the feeders with a single shot, open sighted Rossie .22 laugh

Recent handy work from last weekend grin

I have a couple old crimson talon broadheads I keep just for squirrels now. I need to get me a regular 22. All I have is a 22 mag that tears them up to much, and I hunt on a small property so I try to make least noise as possible.

Posted By: JWP58

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 08:57 PM

Get a rifle that shoots .22 shorts OR get a suppressor. .22shorts would be the cheaper route lol

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/28/11 08:57 PM

Funny part is my buddy comes walking up and see's the arrow in the ground from a distance and says "you missed a deer?" I said no look a little closer I drilled a squirrel. Not bad at about 22 yards.

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 01:21 AM

Squirrel and dumplins are great

Posted By: matx121

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: quackaholic1
Squirrel and dumplins are great

x2

Posted By: NEVAGA

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 02:03 AM

nice shot!!

Posted By: BMowatt

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 02:52 AM

good shootin

Posted By: MVILL

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 08:15 AM

Corn Thieves justice right there. Great shot

Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 01:41 PM

If you have a lever action Marlin..get some CB caps works great
on squirrels, coons, quail, ect..no noise...DD

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 02:14 PM

haha

Posted By: Dink Dodger

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 03:12 PM

CB Shorts will work in anything that will shoot regular 22 shorts except semi autos. They are quieter than my RWS rifle.

Posted By: gnslinger

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 05:51 PM

About 4 of them fat tree rats cooked down in a good cast iron skillet and smothered and cooked in a gravy.....

Put'em over some rice! That's damn good eating... I've never had corn fed Squirrels either.... might even taste better!

Nice shot with the bow!

Posted By: ChickenWilly

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 07:56 PM

I stuck one with my bow this year myself! Corn thiefs beware!

Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Tired of corn theives! - 12/29/11 10:21 PM

Iknow this isn't the recipes section, but how do you guys clean and cook the squirrels. Do you skin, gut em and leave em whole? How do you cook them? THanks

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum