Texas Hunting Forum

Temporarily Disabled

Posted By: papa45

Temporarily Disabled - 10/25/15 03:25 PM

I don't mean to offend anyone by posting in this section, but I need some ideas. By the way, I am a 70-year-old Purple Heart veteran, but my wounds have long-since healed and I have no significant permanent impairments. I have recently torn my rotator cuff in two places and displaced my bicep tendon, leaving my arm very weak and in some pain. I tore the bicep tendon in the other arm a few years ago and it was not repaired. I plan to get a little deer hunting in before my surgery, but I don't believe I can field dress and load a deer by myself and am worried about doing further damage to the injured shoulder. I hunt by myself and I have tried to line up some friends and locals to call if I need help, but I can't expect them to be sitting by the phone waiting for my call, then drop what they're doing to drive out to help me. Any suggestions?
Posted By: upsslim

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 10/26/15 11:40 AM

Just a couple of ideas. Offer to take someone hunting with you. Someone would love to go hunt and help you. Do you have any grandsons? Take one of them with you.

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 10/26/15 02:31 PM

Thanks, upsslim. My lease doesn't allow guests; maybe I can get an exception to the rules. I do have a couple of grandkids who hunt with me or would like to hunt, but they aren't big enough to do what I need.

I put together a rig with a small block-and-tackle and a ramp to load a deer. I tested it in the driveway yesterday and hurt my shoulder even more. Better give up on that one.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 10/26/15 07:10 PM

They have hand cranks for losing deer I the back of the truck. You set them up in your trailer hitch and use a pulley system to load the animal. I know bass pro carries them and I'm sure you can find someone on here to make them too. Good luck
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 10/27/15 02:04 PM

For the loading part do you have a winch or anything?

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 10/28/15 01:08 AM

No winch. I have a small block-and-tackle (AKA game hoist) and I'm driving an SUV. See my post above. I'm still working on a "new and improved version."
Posted By: jsplinter

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 11/18/15 03:09 AM

Saw this on the pursuit channel tonight. Maybe some solutions to your problem
viking solutions
Posted By: billybob

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 11/18/15 06:12 PM

You might ask your Doc if he's ok with you doing what you need to do. I'm betting he says absolutely not. If you have a good arm and shoulder can't you use that? If not... put your hunting off til next year.

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 11/29/15 07:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I've only got a couple of days left to hunt...in the mud. I'll just see what happens and hope I can call for help if needed.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 11/29/15 07:31 PM

Would it still be hunting if you just put the crosshairs on target and just said 'BANG FLOP'?

He'll be bigger next year.
Posted By: Elpatoloco

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 11/29/15 08:43 PM

What area are you hunting?

Re: Temporarily Disabled - 12/12/15 07:40 PM

OK, it's over. Had my surgery three days ago and I'm done for the season. I took my grandson out a couple of times. He shot a doe, two hogs and two turkeys. That's even better than if I had done it myself. Looking forward to next year!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum