Texas Hunting Forum

Count Your Blessings

Posted By: Terry Chester

Count Your Blessings - 11/23/14 10:04 PM

It has been 13 years since the first Thanksgiving after my life was changed. I thought that life was over, my disability did not put me in a chair, it didn't cause me to have to get a prosthetic, mine happened because an er doctor misdiagnosed a small bowel obstruction and sent me home from the hospital that first visit. I was so dope up on morphine that I didn't ask questions and my wife (we had just been married a week when the happened) didn't know any better, had I been awake I would have questioned since my background was in medicine for 20 years.

During the next 24 hours the gut ruptured causing a bad infection. I eventually had 3 major surgeries in 6 weeks resulting in my living with less than 25 percent of the small gut, and less than 50 percent of the large gut. I live with short bowel syndrome, my body doesn't absorb the nutrients it needs on its own so I have to do IV FLUID replacement that has the nutrients and vitamins and minerals needed.

Over the past 13 years and hundreds of hospital stays I have almost died 5 times.

I thought at one time the things I loved to do, hunting,fishing,camping were things of the past, but I have learned to adapt, I am thankful to a small handful of friends and family that stayed by my side encouraging me.

Just as I am thankful to each of you who have sacrificed something also.

In a few weeks I am going on my first deer hunt away from my home acres. It's on my aunts farm, but a couple of years ago I wouldn't even gave thought of attempting it.

As we go through the Thanksgiving holiday this week, I urge you to take time to "COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS"

Thanks for the encouragement that I have gained from you all.

God Bless

Terry
Posted By: rjd

Re: Count Your Blessings - 11/24/14 05:32 AM

I will be thinking about you on your hunt Terry. Have a great time!

Re: Count Your Blessings - 11/24/14 05:56 AM

Thanks brother, I'm looking forward to. Because of new medication the family wanted someone with me, so I'm getting to introduce one of my sisters to deer hunting. She seems like she is very interested in it......we'll see. Lol
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Count Your Blessings - 12/14/14 12:07 AM

Good luck, Terry. I'm sure your sister will enjoy the heck out of hunting with you.
Posted By: rjd

Re: Count Your Blessings - 12/29/14 05:51 PM

Did you make your hunt?

Re: Count Your Blessings - 01/11/15 10:47 PM

Had a great time visiting with family, unfortunately the weather didn't coop with us, rained the entire time was there.

I came home and began feeling poorly and went into a flair up that I get with the short bowel syndrome. Fortunately I was able to stay out of the hospital.

I hope and pray each of you are having a great New Year, my prayer is that each of us has a Healthy and Prosperous New Year,

God Bless,
Terry
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Count Your Blessings - 01/14/15 06:07 PM

God Bless you sir.

I try hard to count my blessings. I am lacking however. Posts like yours are so inspiring. I pray God will continue to keep you.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum