Texas Hunting Forum

Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting

Posted By: BenBob

Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 05:34 PM

Anyone have any interesting pranks that they have pulled on fellow hunters while at hunting camp or while hunting? With the opening of deer season, there has to be some people out there that are always willing to try to make a fool out of their fellow hunters. Let's hear what you got and maybe we can pick up some new ones to pull on the people we hunt with.

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 05:43 PM

Buddy of mine was being a real smart-A years ago at the hunting lodge. We were all sleeping in bunk beds and he, as usual, rolled out his sleeping bag on top of one of the blanketed bunks. Well, he didn't notice he'd laid his bag down on top of an ELECTRIC blanket. I waited until he got good and asleep, then reached down and switched on the blanket to "BROIL". After about 10 minutes he started fidgeting and then launched out of that bag like he was shot out of a cannon. Of course, I acted like I was asleep but it was hard to keep from laughing..........

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 05:46 PM

I've got a stuffed skunk. I'll be hunting alone this weekend, so I think I'll put the skunk in bro-in-law's stand. He and I are going back next weekend. I'm laughing now about him getting in there before daylight and seeing that thing sitting on the corner...

Posted By: HAWKEYE911

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 05:47 PM

We have a guy on our lease that,beleive it or not,is afraid of the dark. out at daylight and in by dark. right before halloween last year,we rented an ape suit and ran thru the woods at a distance in front of his trail cam. i have been to camp every other weekend since march, and no one has seen him yet this year.We are only a few miles from Jefferson,so maybe he thought it was Bigfoot.

Posted By: robbf213

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:01 PM

I used to hunt with a guy that always went way overboard with what ever he was doing. To make matters worse he would always talk non stop about the huge deer he was hunting, he never killed anything. A friend found a mule deer shed in Colorado with a 32" main beam and one 15" tine on it, so the idea was hatched. Another member of the camp was very good at carving so he carved us a huge deer foot that was attached to a long pole. The footprint was an inch longer than any deer anyone has even seen.

So the huge shed was left within 20 yards of his stand, it took him three hunts in that stand before he noticed it. We made "rubs" on trees that were 12-24" through the middle and several "scrapes" the size of the bed of a pickup. And lots of HUGE deer tracks.

This guy obsessively hunted what he called the world record 4 point for two years before he received an anonymous map to where his deer could be found. It entailed driving to the airport to catch a flight to Colorado. Luckily he took it well...

Posted By: BORN2HUNT

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:17 PM

One hunting trip it was to the end of the morning hunt so I decided to walk to by buddies stand. Dangerous but the north side of his blind had no windows so that is how I approached. I walked up under his stand and threw rocks into the brush beside him. I could hear him moving around to get a look. I started grunting on my call and he was going crazy trying to find this deer. He would grunt back. Finally I was laughing to hard so he looked out the window below him and started rolling. It was funny as hell.

Posted By: cleatas

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: MELackey
I've got a stuffed skunk. I'll be hunting alone this weekend, so I think I'll put the skunk in bro-in-law's stand. He and I are going back next weekend. I'm laughing now about him getting in there before daylight and seeing that thing sitting on the corner...

man i wish you could hide a video camera in there so we could see this go down

Posted By: Plano Cooter

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:24 PM

My brother-in-law is deathly afraid of snakes. He is getting a fake snake attached to the door of his GROUND box satuurday afternoon. Wouldn't dare put it in his tower. He'd die from the fall.

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:34 PM

A group of us went hunting with a guy that is the best shot in the world to hear him tell it. He could shoot out a gnat's eye at 700 yards in the middle of the night with a hurricane going on--blah, blah, blah. We got to the place we were hunting and as were were unloading everything, one of us got his gun out of his guncase without him seeing us and clicked the scope 15 clicks to the left and 15 clicks down. The entire weekend, he obviously missed everything he was shooting at. He cussed and discussed the entire situation with each and everyone of us. As we were getting ready to go home, one of us got his rifle and adjusted the scope 15 clicks to the right 15 clicks up. The trip home was filled with how someone had dropped his gun and messed up the scope and after a while at the range, he would return to being the sniper that he used to be. We all ended up at the range the next day and when he shot dead center on the target at 100 and 200 yards on 6 shots, he loaded up his stuff and left. We still all hunt together, but he has a tendency to keep his mouth shut and when he does get out of hand, we gently remind him of the time that he got buck fever and could not hit anything for the entire weekend.

Posted By: iluv2hunt

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:34 PM

I killed a snake one morning coming from a morning hunt. I took it and coiled it up inside my brothers motor home right in the doorway. It was funny when he opened the door. hehehe

Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 06:59 PM

There were 3 of us turkey hunting in WV once and 2 of us were together and heard the third one calling from the top of the mountain. We walked up towards him and started calling. He called back and we lead him all the way off the mountain to the road. You should have seen his face when he came out of the woods and on to the road.

Posted By: moderno

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 07:10 PM

When I was just a kid my dad had a friend that was always bugging him about taking him hunting on the ranch at Dilworth near Gonzales where we lived.

We had some very old mounted heads that had pretty decent horns, that looked shabby up close. My dad took one of the heads and removed the board from the back of the mount and screwed a small board on the back that could be stuck in the ground. We stuck the board in the ground in a shallow creek bed. From a distance it looked like the buck was comming up out of the creek. It looked real from 75 yards away.

We go to Gonzales, and go to the mans body shop. It was fixin to be Thanksgiving weekend and he was going to give all his employees off on Friday at noon. It was drizzlin rain and kinda foggy so we invited him out to the ranch that evening. He shows up with quart of whiskey and a 30-30 with a side mounted scope. My dad asked how long it had been since he had shot the rifle and he said last year. My dad said he should shoot the gun a couple of times at a target just to confirm it was on. The 30-30 was right on the money.

He and my dad mixed a drink and proceeded to drive through the Peach Creek bottom with me in the middle of the truck. This guy was ready with the rifle out the window. We drove to the spot where the deer head was and my dad said look over there, there is a buck standin in the creek bed lookin straight atcha. We stopped, turned off the truck and the guy got a good rest out the window and he squeezed one off. He hit the mount right in the base of the neck. There was a small white cloud of dust and the deer head was rocking back and fourth. My dad said shoot again, so he jacked another round and fired again with the same outcome. By then I couldn't stand it anymore and started laughing. Dad told him go over there and see WTF is going on. He gets out of the truck and struck a trot to the creek, and just stands there looking, pulls his hat off and looks all around him and comes walking back to the truck. When he got to the truck he unloaded the 30-30 and set it in the seat of the truck. He was breathing really hard and grabbed the bottle and took a good pull and said Sheet boys lets just ride around and look at deer I dont feel like guttin a buck anyway.

We all had a large laugh and continued riding and looking at deer. He thanked my dad and I for the fun hunt that we had. He said he would have never thought that a Game Warden would have pulled a trick like that on him. They drank the rest of that bottle and he went back to Gonzales. Needless to say he didn't ask my dad to go hunting anymore, but they were good freinds until his death.

Posted By: B-swit

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 07:23 PM

last year a buddy on my lease got up a day early prior to opening day. well he went to my uncles stand and put a blowup doll in there sitting in his chair. what made it funny was my uncle turned it around on him and acted like he never hunted the stand it was in. kept him going all week. it was pretty funny.

Posted By: hornet527

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 07:26 PM

several years ago by brother killed a buck that was real sick looking. we were afraid to eat it so we took it and tied it to a tree to where it looked alive. got a green horn buddy to go spotlighting that night. as we drove down the county road where the deer was, some buddies fell in behind us with lights off, some other buddies were already ahead of us. once to the deer, we shined the light on him and hollered Shhot! the greenhorn jumps out with a buddies 300 win mag and starts hullin at the "deer". meanwhile the buddies behind and in front, start screaming down the road blinking red lense covered spot lightsmaking it look like the game warden. we yelled run, evryone scattered and met back up at the truck in a minute or less. we were 2 hours convincing the green horn to come out of the woods. o yea, he chunked my buddie's nearly new gun in the ditch when he bolted.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 07:48 PM

We've had our share:
- We threw a dead bobcat on a buddy while he was taking a nap.
- When my brother in law shot his first and only deer years ago, we told him that it was no good because it was covered in ticks and he should bury it. So he proceeded to dig a huge hole behind camp. We told him it was a joke before he dug all the way to China.
- We took an old buck mount that my brother had found in a trash can down the block and nailed it to a tree down in the woods from my uncle's box blind before he got there to hunt that afternoon. He got in his blind and started glassing the area and saw it. My uncle said he waited 2 hours that afternoon for that buck to step out so he could shoot it. Said it just got dark so he left and came back to camp. None of us said a word when he told us about it. He got in his stand before daylight the next morning and when the sun came up, he said there it was again, in the same spot. He finally snuck down to it and found out it was an old mount nailed to a tree.
That's just a few of the better ones.

Posted By: krs_2007

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 08:13 PM

Done a few but the best was when I took a friends truck to the beer store and came back and started telling him I hit a deer in his new f250, what he didnt know was I told my brother to get the leg from a deer that had been killed earlier and stick in the grill where he could see if from the door. Well everyone cleared the house to see the damage to only find me and my brother out of breath from laughing so hard. Geeze, we thought it was funny, he did too after we told him the truth, but Dad called me a few choice words, oh well. Still laugh about it today.

We also found a big lizard on the side of the house when we got there so we decided to put it in one of the guys sleeping bags that hated lizards, snakes and such. Well needles to say we all went to bed with him being the last one in bed. It took a few minutes and when the sleeping bag warmed up so did the lizard. The guy was out the door before you could even blink an eye, I thought everyone was going to throw up from laughing so hard.

I'll have to think of some more.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 08:39 PM

I didn't pull this but the old man at the regular poker game swears by it. With all the small kids in camp and growing up in the woods they would always tell a story about an old indian who lived on the place that murdered a family down the road. These stories went on for years and years. Finally when some of the kids were old enough to sit in their own stand one of the grown ups at camp thought it would be funny to dress like an indian and run through the woods where he could be seen. Not thinking it through when passing by the stand whooping and hollering the poor kid drew a bead on him and started shooting. Obviously he didn't hit the old man but when his father showed up to get him out of his stand the first words out of his mouth were " dad I saw that old indian and I dang near got him. Yeah I shot at him twice."

I just find it amusing.

Posted By: KG68

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 08:47 PM

Several years ago my wife and I invited some fishing friends from the Abilene area to bring their kids deer and turkey hunting one weekend. When we got up and started leaving to go the next morning I told them I needed to spray them good with doe pee so the deer wouldn't smell us and get spooked. I lined everyone up and sprayed them down with a squirt bottle I had filled with water the day before. They took it all in stride for I was born and raised here and had ranched here all my life so they never questioned but what I knew what I was doing. Somehow my wife and I both managed to control ourselves and we loaded up in my crew cab and started to the deer pasture. The kids kept talking about how it sure didn't smell like what they thought doe pee should smell like until I finally lost it. They liked to have beat me to death right there. I get that bottle out every time they come and we have a big laugh.

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:15 PM

on a ranch out in Rocksprings my dad is a partner one the founders used to tell a story about their "pet deer". Supposedly one of them took a neighbor and his son out there to shoot his first deer. They told him he could shoot any deer he wanted, but just be careful not to shoot their "pet deer". They said that it would be the one out there with the red earrings, just be on the lookout for it and don't shoot it. The instructions we not to get out of the stand until they came back. Well, they heard him shoot and went to check on him. Sure enough, he had a deer down. One of them distracted him while the other one went to check out the deer. You guessed it, he slipped on a pair or red danglies on that doe's ears. Scared the poor kid almost to tears thinking he had shot their pet.

I don't know how long ago that was, but supposedly, that kid never lived that one down...

Posted By: jrich

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:23 PM

i took one of my green horn buddies out to the ranch. and we were shooting around with my 12ga shotgun. I was shooting some #8 shot as fast as i could, then i told my buddy to try to shoot a can as fast as he can with the 3 shots in the shot gun... well i loaded it up with 3 slugs instead of the #8 shot and didnt tell him... he shot the first shot and it knocked him on his A$$. He got up raising hell and yelling at me. saying he thinks he broke his shoulder. me and the other guys were rolling on the ground laughing so hard!

Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:35 PM

I was camp hunting with a guy one time that like to polish off a 1/5th of whiskey by him self while cooking, when he got nice and drunk i pulled the potatoes out of the fire and wrapped some round rocks in foil and pushed them back in the coals.

2 hrs later he is hammered and cussing at why his "tatter" aint ready to eat!

I also killed a big rattler last year and Im having it mounted striking around a whisky bottle so I can put it in the cabinet and whens hes drunk and say..."hey bob get another bottle!" .. I'll try to get video.

Posted By: h20thief

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:37 PM

I havent done it yet but I read a story where a guy bought an old alarm clock with the bells on top (the wind up kind). You take the bells off and glue a rattle on it from a rattlesnake. Set the alarm for whatever time you choose and stick it either in a stand or close to a bed. Once the alarm goes off, the &%#$ hits the fan. Cant wait to try it but I havent found a rattle snake on my place yet.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:42 PM

Bowfishing with my buddy Casey one time, he shot at a gar and missed, his arrow ended up under a stump. As he waded towards the stump to retrieve his arrow, a moccasin slid off the stump into the water, you should have seen his face. So he cautiously wades over towards the arrow, going slow and looking around for the snake. I, following close behind him grabbed a stick. As he reached his arm into the water to feel around for his arrow, I poked him in the back of the leg and yelled SNAKE! He jumped about 10 feet in the air and messed his droors. Man that was priceless.

Posted By: rsquared

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 09:57 PM

remind me to never hunt with any of you jokers..

those are some funny stories..

Posted By: cody2422

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 11:01 PM

My cousin put a bunch of empty beer cans in my dad's blind. Nobody that hunts his blind drinks so when he got to the lease, he assumed someone had been poaching our lease and hunting his blind. He just about had the game wardens on their way out to the lease when my cousin broke the prank to him.

Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/05/09 11:55 PM

My B-I-L always talked about what a hunter he was but never once did I ever see any results. He asked to hunt my place and I finally caved in and said yes. The next day he asked to borrow a rifle and ammo. I thought about it and loaned him an old .243 with a fixed 4X weaver and set the crosshairs all the way down and left. I knew which way the deer came in and thought no way in h$ll will he kill one. He went hunting the next morning and missed 3 different deer and shot 8 times. My buddies and I were laughing until he came back that evening with a 134" ten point. Some how some way he hit it in the top of the neck. That was a prank that backfired.

Posted By: TTUman

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 12:07 AM

Myself and a few other guys went out dove hunting one afternoon. Two of the guys we hunted with had gotten there early and were already out in the field. As we left the truck and started to head out we came across a bull snake. I caught the snake and put it in one of the guys gun cases. When the hunt was over he went to put his shotgun in the case and feel over when he saw the snake in his case. Needless to say he wasnt to happy.

Posted By: maichip

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 12:28 AM

A hunting buddy of mine has been going through a difficult time the last couple of years, divorce issues and all.

I had him out on my ranch in East TX a couple of weeks ago and he told me a story about how he was hunting near Carrizo Springs about 20 years ago. He was hunting alone about 20 miles from the nearest house. He said there was a telephone line going across the intersection of the sendero he was hunting. He went on to describe how the telephone line had those old type glass cups at the top. He said that he could actually hear women talking through the telephone lines. He said couldn’t figure out where the voices were coming from for a good while. Since there was nothing else around he figured it was the telephone lines. Well I told him that I am quite sure he’s hearing voices but they aren’t coming from the telephone lines. It’s definitely the demons in his head.

Anyhow, this gave me a great idea. I actually bought a straight jacket off of EBay, had it embroidered with Rust St. Mental Hospital across the front. I got his brother who also hunts with us on board. We are going to have a good old fashioned intervention this weekend at hunting camp. We will all put some water on our faces; pull out yellow sheets of paper like we took the time to write down how much we care about him and all. Then I will explain how I arranged for help. Real medical help for the voices he has been hearing in his head. Once he is good and ripe I will give him the straight jacket and explain to him that the only way the hospital will take him is if he has his new jacket on. The jacket will be for his safety and their of course.

With the exception of his brother, I don’t think anyone else will get into it much as he is apt to start shooting when he sees his new jacket. I hope to be back on here in a week or so with an update. If not, well I guess his aim was on.

Posted By: mudd

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 01:57 AM

Im not hunting with yall!! The one bout 10pt is funny though. We got a girl at deer camp that hates clowns. Well its gonna be interesting!!

Posted By: darrack

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 04:21 AM

this one is not so funny, i was elk hunting in new mexico unit 36 last week and one of my buddies works for the fire dept up there. he said a guy wnted to scare his buddy in the woods and kept telling him about all the bear, apparently he went on and on about how many there is up there. well when the time came the guy had to piss so he went out to do his thing and his buddy snuck out behind him. in mid stream this guy starts growling and before he knew it his buddy ripped around and fired a shot in the direction of the noise. hit him right in the chest. only good news is he didnt die.

Posted By: Scoop

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 05:37 AM

Had two guys who were best friends bring their young son's out to the ranch a couple of years back. Before they got there, I set up their bunk, and was even nice enough to make their beds. Wrapped up in the folds of the sheet under the top bunk I tucked one of those remote control fart machines. I kept the remote down by my bed at the other end of the cabin. That night when it got dark and quiet I started hitting that button. Sqeakers, blaaats, machine guns, and a wide variety of other random fart noises came out of that hidden unit. I managed to carry it on for almost 30 minutes till they finally heard me laughing through my pillow. All 4 got blamed at some point, the dads accused the boys of making the noises with their mouths. One dad kept saying "Let me see your mouth". The father/son on the top bunk blamed the bottom pair, and vice-versa. Just when it would get quiet again I'd hit that button again. Dads were scolding their sons saying they might wake me up. Cheap humor, but I still grin like a fool when I think about it, and both those dads wanted to know where to get one of those machines so they could mess with their wives.

Now that I think about it, I have a few potential victims joining me out there this weekend....

Posted By: Critter Swat Team

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 11:08 AM

I picked up a dead sandbass on the shore where I was hunting. I put it in the springs of my huntin buddy's front seat before he got back to camp. He tried to find the source of the smell for days until it was unbearable. His little dog finally led him to it. He still don't know I did it so don't tell.

Posted By: Run N Shoot

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 02:10 PM

The people in the office probably think I am going crazy since I have been in here LOL for the last 15 minutes!! Nice work.

Posted By: craige

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 03:00 PM

Man there are some funny ones, and then there are some sure STUPID ones. Good grief!! We wonder why so many get shot and killed. I promise there are a few on here, that sure got lucky.

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 03:56 PM

went fishing on the pecos one time and one of the old dudes had his own trot line. we had taken a flounder with us to cook. we too kthe flounder and put it on his line during the night. the next day he was very perplexed about the"thing" he had caught. to this day he still thinks he caught a creature out of the pecos

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 04:01 PM

was gassing a den of rattlesnakes one time and my brother was in front of the den pushing the tubing in the hole. i was off to one side where he could only see me from the waist up. the tubing missed the hole going deeper into the den and came out close to me. I reached down real slow and yanked like a mother on the tubing. my brother thought something in the den had taken it away from him. he almost peeed himself

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: craige
Man there are some funny ones, and then there are some sure STUPID ones. Good grief!! We wonder why so many get shot and killed. I promise there are a few on here, that sure got lucky.

I agree with that. A lot of these jokes are funny, but there is nothing funny about turning a guy lose to shoot deer when you've messed up his scope. Its a real good way to wound deer, and pretty irresponsible. Jokes revolving around tampering with guns might be funny at the time, but it won't be funny when someone gets hurt or killed. I certainly wouldn't be running through the woods dressed like bigfoot when people have their deer rifles with them either.

Posted By: taco bender

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 05:20 PM

Some great funny stories. but i think these should be done at camp and not in the field. b/c im suprised that "indian" story turned out the way it did. b/c if that kid was a good shot, you'd be a more R.I.P story than a prank.

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 05:26 PM

We've put a toilet in a guys stand.

Put a box turtle in a guys stand, but he never showed up.

Put out an old mount. The guy claimed to never see it. Don't know if I buy it.

One of the best things that I have been gotten on was some of the guys caught this piglet. They literally chased it down and caught it. They put it in the bed of the truck. At this point, the hog is scared and PISSED OFF. I drive up to help them work on their stand. They ask me to bring them a hammer out of the bed of their truck. I'm reaching in, unsuspecting, and damn near chit my pants cause this piglet it about to bite my hand off. Probably the only time that I've been gotten good.

Some things my dad and uncles have done:

Put a metal chair on a fire, just as it stopped glowing, one of their buddies came and sat down on it. Not the smartest thing ever, but was probably funny.

They put mice in one of my uncles breakfast tacos they made up for him.

Posted By: craige

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 06:11 PM

[/quote]

sick eek2 duel

Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin T

I would have beaten the tar out of someone if they did that!! Sorry, but that's just plain gross and unhealthy.

Posted By: eedsmx691

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 06:49 PM

Went to the lease about a month ago with a friend and his son who is 13. After filling the feeders we decided to hunt some dove. My friends son was shooting a 20 gauge and wanted to shoot my 12. So I loaded it up with some 3 1/2"s that I had in my bag (without him seeing the shells) and told him it would kick a little harder than the 20 he was shooting. Well, some dove flew over and he jumps up, shoulders the gun and flies about 3 feet backwards and lands on his butt. His dad and I laughed for the rest of the weekend and he had a pretty good bruise come up by the end of the trip. He swears he will never shoot another one of my guns unless he gets to load it.

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Eland Slayer

I would have beaten the tar out of someone if they did that!! Sorry, but that's just plain gross and unhealthy.

He didn't eat it. He apparently saw the head just has he was taking his second bite. They didn't chop it up or anything. Still pretty nasty. I'd be pissed. LOL.

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 07:16 PM

We redirected the christmas lights that lead to the outhouse on a dark and foggy night... to the edge of a creek...

Posted By: cody

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 07:32 PM

I pulled one on a fella that has apparently rejoined the forum after several years of not being able to remember his password...

The gentleman in question is deathly afraid of spiders...no matter how small. "That sumb!tch was huge! He was so big he was wearin' work boots....eight of'm!" I've heard him say on several occasions. I'd always heard this about him but had never experienced his terror first hand. We were dove hunting around a tank one day and as we wrapped up I walked back down to get the pickup. As I made my way down the road I came across a tarantula. I couldn't resist. I grabbed an empty whataburger cup and scooped him up and put the lid on it. I tossed the cup in the back of the pickup next to the water can. My plan was to ask him to pass me a cup of water as I was cleaning birds. Well, as I pulled up I had a change of heart but still had to have some fun with it. I stepped out and grabbed the cup walking towards him. "I want you to know how good a friend I am." Says I. "I'd thought about getting you good but I've changed my mind." By this time he's wide eyed and extremely leary of what I'm doing. I take the lid off the cup and dump it out about 3 feet from him. Dude loses his mind! Starts pumping shells back into his shotgun as the spider heads under the truck. We're all jumping and screaming DON'T SHOOT THE TRUCK! DON'T SHOOT THE TRUCK! (it's his brand new Z71, just picked it up the day before). I kick the spider out a way from the truck and dirt erupts all around us BOOM, BOOM, BOOM click, click, click, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM. He reloads and hammers away twice. The spiders last seen route was towards a brush pile where his asailants chair still sat from the dove hunt. I say, "Man, grab your chair and let's get outta there." He says, "to hell with that chair, I ain't sure that sumb!tch is dead!"

The whole way home he's got the creepy crawlies...I just couldn't resist, I reach over from the back seat and run my hand up his arm and he litterally starts reaching for the door handle at 70 mph from the drivers seat! good times...

Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/06/09 11:45 PM

I dont play around in the field cool

Posted By: mrbigtexan

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/07/09 02:38 AM

one time we were out hunting and one of my buddys takes a nap right after lunch. he is in his camper but has the windows open right by his head. after he gets good and asleep my other buddy blows a crow call in the window by his head. you shoulda seen the camper move as he jumped. that was funny

Posted By: PaulWall725

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/07/09 09:58 PM

Used to hunt with a guy that would go WAY overboard on the whiskey/beer every night before a hunt. He'd pass out by 10 and snore through the night keeping everyone awake. He built a 10 ft. tower blind on the lease, with 2x4 planks of wood as a ladder. So every night he would pass out, I'd go and raise the bottom rung of his ladder just a bit each time. He thought he was too hungover to climb into his blind, and never knew about the prank until the end of the season when he had to get a running start to reach the bottom rung...it was great!!!

Posted By: HLo

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 03:09 AM

My brother ran some fishing line on the ceiling of our camp house to a screw that held a plastic spider. We always would put the new guy in the bed below the spider. My brother would be in the next room lowering and raising the plastic spid onto our guest of honor to make them feel at home.

Put a 10" lizard on a friends chest while he was waking up. He jumped to the sky when he woke up.

A friend finally got my brother back and rattled a rattle snakes tail that we killed earlier in the day while my brother was fixing a pipe under the house! He came out of there so fast! What goes around comes around.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 04:41 AM

I remember several years back when an article about hunting pranks appeared in the TPWD Outdoor Annual.

The prank I remember most was the one where some guys put black felt over the windows of another hunter's box stand on Opening Day. It seems the guy was bad about getting in his stand and going to sleep until the daylight woke him. He reportedly didn't wake up until well into the morning, having all but missed the season opener.

Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 02:47 PM

We have a tradition in camp involving a "Hunter's Horn." Every young hunter must blow the horn in triumph after their first kill. It's one of those twisted around horns like they used fox hunting in England. The large opening in the end points straight down ino the face of the person doing the blowing. We pack the horn with baking soda and tell'em to "Blow real hard now!!" They inevitably get a face full of baking soda.

We also have the "Wood-cutters" test. We take the new sport to the woodpile, where the large log used for splitting is set up. We put a quarter on the chopping block and tell the guy he has to hit the quarter blind-folded. One of us comes up behind him to blind-fold him while another kindly holds his cap. We hold the axe head and tap the quarter with it so they know about where to swing. As they wind up to take a whack at the quarter, the guy holding his cap tosses it on top of the chopping block. We'll give him three or four good swings before letting him remove the blindfold to see his cap chopped to pieces.

Posted By: taco bender

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 04:34 PM

i like that wood cutter story.

Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 06:20 PM

I leave my rifle in my blind while on the lease. I unload it, case it and put the bullets back in the box. Last year after I had gone to bed, my buddies went over to my blind and pulled my bullets out of the box and replaced them with empty brass that they had seated bullets into. I get to my blind before daylight the next morning and load those dummy rounds into my rifle. You know it, a nice buck walks out about 7:30am. I aim, squeeze the trigger and nothing happens. I immediately cycle another round into the chamber and click, but no boom. Cycle third shell, repeat. By now I'm making so much racket, the buck decides to find a quieter place to enjoy breakfast. I look at all three ejected shells, see the primer is indented and cannot figure out why the shells are not firing. I take the rifle back to camp along with the three shells to show the others. It took all of 30 seconds for them to bust out laughing and tell me the reason.

Now you know how I got the name Dry Fire.

Posted By: Hogfather

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 06:23 PM

Wow dry fire, you are a better man than myself. My so called buddies would be wishing they never did that when i get back to camp. Jokes are ok, but that caused you a chance at a good buck. To me that is not very funny.

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 07:22 PM

pranks should not be pulled in the feild, thats how hunters get hurt/killed and hunting gets a bad rep. therer are some really funny ones tho

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Cody Malone
pranks should not be pulled in the feild, thats how hunters get hurt/killed and hunting gets a bad rep. therer are some really funny ones tho

I have never heard of one single hunter getting hurt/killed because of a prank. Mad, yes. Do you have a reference for this?

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 07:57 PM

no but im darn sure it has happened after reading some of these? jmho

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TX_LT230FH

I have never heard of one single hunter getting hurt/killed because of a prank. Mad, yes. Do you have a reference for this?

So maybe if the old guy in the Indian costume, or maybe the guy in the gorilla suit, had been shot? Or maybe if there had been a couple gut-shot deer due to having scopes tampered with, then, and only then, would you be against pranks in the field involving loaded weapons? You can't be serious.

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 08:17 PM

slow ur drift slowdrifter just making a general statement

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

So maybe if the old guy in the Indian costume, or maybe the guy in the gorilla suit, had been shot? Or maybe if there had been a couple gut-shot deer due to having scopes tampered with, then, and only then, would you be against pranks in the field involving loaded weapons? You can't be serious.

I did not say if I was for or against them. I simply asked for a cite for the statement that "hunters get hurt/killed" because of pranks.

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter

I did not say if I was for or against them. I simply asked for a cite for the statement that "hunters get hurt/killed" because of pranks.

Gotcha'. Aplogies for any offense taken. I just don't think practical jokes and guns go hand in hand and just because no one's been killed yet doesn't mean they aren't stoopid.

Edited to Add: I just can't believe anyone in this day and age is "riding the fence" on whether practical jokes involving loaded firearms is OK or not?

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 08:37 PM

Put a metal chair on a fire, just as it stopped glowing, one of their buddies came and sat down on it. Not the smartest thing ever, but was probably funny.

rofl rofl rofl

Posted By: Omaney

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 09:00 PM

This wasn't at camp but... Nearly 20 years ago I sent my 870 back to Remington for a repair. Couple of months later I get a letter (pre email days) stating that it's being returned (great!) Well UPS didn't deliver because they needed a signature and I worked out in the field. Subsequently the gun is returned to Remington "delivery refused" confused2 Ouch. So I arrange to have the shotgun delivered to our office. Now we're about 2.5 months into this ordeal and Sept 1st is quickly approaching and I am getting a little hot. Well the gun shows up at the office...without the barrel! mad My coworkers intercepted the parcel and removed the barrel, then they dummied up a fake repair invoice detailing the repair and the fact that I didn't send the barrel with the receiver. One of these coworkers was a roomate at the time and listened to me cuss and spit for about six hours. How he kept a straight face still puzzles me to this day. Round about dinnertime I get a "follow up call" from a Remington rep inquiring to my satisfaction with the repairs. Memory fails but I know I had the a$$ eating ready to go when the light bulb finally lit...I'd been had,lock, stock and barrel. Twenty years later I still get a load about that one.

Posted By: jrich

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 09:01 PM

this past weekend my cousin and i were at the lease and got into bed and turned off the lights. it had been quiet for about 3 minutes when i was almost asleep. And all of a sudden my cousin started screaming like a girl and jumping around. it was completely dark so i was reaching for my pistol and my flashlight as he was yelling. by the time i found the light switch he had stopped screaming and he said theres something in my sleeping bag!!!! when i turned on the light he was standing on top of the igloo. I asked what was it and he said it was something big!! by that time i am dying laughing! he was so scared he wouldnt even open his sleeping bag to see what it was. so i walked over there and opened his sleeping bag. it was the biggest lizard i had ever seen. that thing was like an iguana. it was a good 7-8 inches long! and i didnt put it in there... too bad i didnt think about pulling that prank. i would have been laughing for days. so now i will have to pull this prank on someone else on the lease. dont worry guys i will video it!!!!

check ur sleeping bags!!!

Posted By: Calhoun

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 09:12 PM

We have an ole boy in camp that we call silver back, because of his size he is a big SUM BUCK. He always wears a big black mizuno softball jacket that looks like plastic or fake leather when he cleans his kill. After he finishes he cleans it up and hangs it in the cabin closet at the door. Well being of his size and all and always wearing the jacket we decided to get some reflective mailbox letters and stick to the back "GIMP". Dont know if any of you are familiar with the movie "Pulp Fiction" but if you are you should be able to recall the scene where they say "Bring in the Gimp" and the ole boy comes out in full leather with the ball gag and all. He put that jacket on one night to clean a deer and the cameras started flashing, he couldnt figure out what was going on. You should have seen how well those reflective letters showed up with the big ole word GIMP on the back. We even went so far as to make him a ball gag, but for some reason couldnt get him to wear it.

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/10/09 11:56 PM

Several years ago on opening morning I hear a shot from the direction of my friend's blind. I wait a respectful amount of time and then ease on over there to see what he's shot. About the same time I get there another hunter shows up in his truck. Our friend is nowhere to be found, but there's a decent sized 10 point laying on the ground near his feeder.

The buck hasn't been gutted, so we decide to prank him a little. We pick up the buck (not an easy feat) and manage to carry it over and load it into the truck. We then head back to camp and meet the successful hunter on the road. He tells us all about this really nice 10 point he shot and how he walked back to camp to get his camera for some pics. We say great, we'll come help you get your pics and load it up. So we turn around and follow him back to the scene of the crime.

Sure enough, no dead deer here. Well, the poor guy just about loses it. We ask him if he was sure the deer was dead, and all he could say was "I thought so, but I guess I was wrong." So now we have to help him track his 10 point that got up and ran away. After an hour or so of "tracking" we decide to head back to camp to get some lunch and enlist more help.

When we got to camp, he went inside the cabin to tell his story, and me and my accomplice quickly unload the deer and stick it in the outhouse. After lunch, one of the other guys who wasn't in on the joke, went to the outhouse to relieve himself. He comes back with a funny look on his face, but to his credit, he just says "I betcha a hundred bucks I can track that deer down for you."

So off we go again, this time with the entire camp in tow, on the mile and a half ride back to the killing spot. Outhouse dude looks around, gets down on his hands and knees and squints at the dirt, stands up and takes off in the general direction of camp. About 30 minutes later we all walk back into camp and outhouse dude points at the little brown shack out back and say's "He's hiding in there." The hunter gets this weird look on his face, walks over to the door and opens it to see his buck proudly sitting on the pooper, cigarette hanging from a lip and half empty Miller Lite can nearby.

Posted By: raiderJ

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/11/09 04:26 AM

Thats funny!

Posted By: moderno

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/11/09 06:00 AM

Years ago when my dad was a Game Warden, the State used to give them 12 ga. shells to run deer out of fields and crops. These shells looked like a regular shotgun shell. My dad called them shell crackers. When fired they would not have hardly any recoil or muzzle blast, but would go about 100 yards or so and make a very loud explosion.

We were having a big dove hunt on a slough and there were quite a few people there. One of my dads buddys was sitting on a stool hunting, and decided to go back to his car to get him another ice cold Falstaff and pee. When he leaned his shotgun against the car, and went to the other side to pee, we removed the regular shotshell in the chamber and replaced it with the shell cracker. When he was through he came back around the car and got his cold Falstaff and went back to his stool at the slough to continue hunting. By this time some of the other hunters knew what was fixin to happen. About that time some doves were headin straight for this guy and he stood up and fired. I guess he was expecting for that old 12 ga. to kick pretty good, but it didn't, and he took a step or two forward after he fired. Needless to say he didn't hit nothing, but there was hell of a bang out over that slough, so he pumped another shell in the chamber and shot again and missed. He sat back down on the stool and kept drinking his beer and looking at his shotgun for a few minutes, then just kept huntin like nothing had happened. Later that evening my dad asked what the hell happened when you shot at those doves. His response was "I'll be GD if I know". He never noticed the different spent shell laying on the ground where he was hunting.

Later that evening he got a demonstration of what happened, His response to that was "Hell, boy they didn't have nothin like that when I was a kid growing up"

Posted By: hogghunter123

Re: Pranks Pulled WHile Hunting - 11/11/09 03:51 PM

I took my son and his best friend dove hunting in Gordon they had just turned 21 so I took them to Mingus to the Boars Nest for a cold one the night before the opening day as we were leavind i found a tube of lipstick in the parking lot when we get to the camper they go fast to sleep so I took the lip stick and marked up their faces. The next morning my son was first to wake up i told him to look at his bud but not to say anything then i send him out to the truck and wake his bud and tell him to look at my son but not to say anything.They walked around all morning look like they had war paint on, not knowing they were both painted until a buddy of mine showed up and started laughing.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum