Texas Hunting Forum

How Did They Do That??

Posted By: fishdfly

How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:16 PM

The cover photo, two (2) guys, a dead deer and not one piece of camo to be seen. How did they kill it?
Posted By: #Hayraker

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:24 PM

It must have died of natural causes.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
The cover photo, two (2) guys, a dead deer and not one piece of camo to be seen. How did they kill it?

Sitting in a box most likely.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:29 PM

I think I know the answer, the poor deer had severe Glaucoma and his medical marijuana card had expired. just my 2cents
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:32 PM

When you can become an effective hunter, you don't need no camo.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

But then you won't know what saw you first and slipped off without you ever seeing it. I'm still betting on sitting in a box.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 06:10 PM

Same way most of us. Via the Passenger seat of Pick up or SxS

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 06:16 PM

yes but if your door handle doesn't work you better have strong tires as you jerk the steering wheel to the left, to give a greater field of view and rifle maneuverability from left side drivers window
Posted By: Judd

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 08:12 PM

I bet they shot it with a 6.5 Gaymoor too bang
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Judd

I need to meet up with you one of these days and buy you lunch, I laugh every time you say that rofl Your truly a dedicated hater of that round and I can respect that clap
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Same way most of us. Via the Passenger seat of Pick up or SxS

People have been killing deer from a truck since the beginning of time
Posted By: Espy

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/14/23 11:53 PM

Photoshop I'm surprised they didnt have a pic of a black panther in it too.
Posted By: claypool

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 12:14 AM

I am wondering why one wouldn't want to wear camo?

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 12:19 AM

Why wear camo in Brookshires?
Posted By: angus1956

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Judd

That's hurtful I own 3 of them, but never take them where people can see them.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by claypool

Some folks like to make sport of others who do. Those folks have likely never hunted deer with a longbow.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by claypool

Some folks like to make sport of others who do. Those folks have likely never hunted deer with a longbow.

Anyone can blast a deer from 100 yard out. You don’t need camo for that.

10 yards is an entirely different matter.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 02:41 AM

Contrary to what many believe and camo companies would want you to believe camo is not a requirement to kill critters.

One of my favorite most successful camo patterns though was a gray shirt that matched the seats in the truck almost exactly aka Bobo the Clown style hunting.

I have killed deer with a recurve bow at 8 and 10 yards before I owned any camo one from a couple boards in a tree between a couple limbs as a stand the other I watched her bed down in a cutover in a light mist, slipped in to 8 yards and shot her in her bed, again before I owned camo. I have sat at the base of a tree wearing the old green coveralls with a blaze orange hat and vest to be legal and had deer within arms reach and killed quite a few that way inside 20 yards with a rifle. I have had turkeys within arms reach as well with the same clothing during deer season. Almost forgot the button buck I backhanded on the nose one morning he was so close but youngster probably had never encountered a person.

My guess the one on the cover photo though was killed from blind or truck. in either you are hiding most of the camo and it generally doesn't match the pattern of the inside of a blind or truck most of the time.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by kmon11
Contrary to what many believe and camo companies would want you to believe camo is not a requirement to kill critters.

One of my favorite most successful camo patterns though was a gray shirt that matched the seats in the truck almost exactly aka Bobo the Clown style hunting.

I have killed deer with a recurve bow at 8 and 10 yards before I owned any camo one from a couple boards in a tree between a couple limbs as a stand the other I watched her bed down in a cutover in a light mist, slipped in to 8 yards and shot her in her bed, again before I owned camo. I have sat at the base of a tree wearing the old green coveralls with a blaze orange hat and vest to be legal and had deer within arms reach and killed quite a few that way inside 20 yards with a rifle. I have had turkeys within arms reach as well with the same clothing during deer season. Almost forgot the button buck I backhanded on the nose one morning he was so close but youngster probably had never encountered a person.

My guess the one on the cover photo though was killed from blind or truck. in either you are hiding most of the camo and it generally doesn't match the pattern of the inside of a blind or truck most of the time.

It’s not mandatory but I do believe it helps ( certain patterns at least). Being still always trumps a camo pattern however. Many traditional bow hunters to this day eschew camo in favor of darker plaid.

Most predators in nature are tawny and drab with many wearing camouflage, like leopards, tigers and jaguars. You’ll never see a predator with a bright colored coat. Even birds of prey are drab compared to other birds.

My favorite pattern is the old ASAT, which you can hardly find anymore. Vuni is very similar but not an exact match.

But, in Texas we have all the camo cowboys in head to toe Kuiu when they are sitting in a truck or box blind. And on that I agree is pretty pointless.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 07:37 PM

Ever hear of Chuck Adams? Don't know that he wore anything but jeans and a plaid shirt.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/15/23 08:00 PM

I know people that changeout camo every year having to have the latest pattern from their favorite brand. Seems a big waste of money to me but hey it is their money not mine.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Russ79
Ever hear of Chuck Adams? Don't know that he wore anything but jeans and a plaid shirt.

He wore/wears camo.

But he’s a very accomplished Bowhunter and was widely successful when we didn’t have half the archery technology we have today.

Paul Schafer is another one, his exploits are unbelievable
Posted By: Poppa

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 01:45 AM

you have ever drove a tractor or combine in a bean or cornfield? you can kill ringneck pheasant, quail, deer you name it with a 22 revolver. no camo.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 01:53 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 02:01 AM

Nobody said cam does not work. Less experienced hunters just need it.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 02:04 AM

Then again, who knows what you're not seeing by not wearing it? I do admit that insurance salesman are the most gangster animals in the woods though roflmao

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 03:39 AM

Then again, who knows what you're not seeing by not wearing it? I do admit that insurance salesman are the most gangster animals in the woods though roflmao

Got that right. Death follows me.
Posted By: 8skate

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 06:02 AM

My biggest problem is I dropped my Camo knife and can't see it.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 8skate

I’ve been looking for one of those since about 1986. I’ll find it. I’m sure of it.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 8skate

I’ve been looking for one of those since about 1986. I’ll find it. I’m sure of it.

Yep
Posted By: kry226

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 12:14 PM

Don't get a camo phone case and accidentally drop it in the woods... sharing for a friend...

"Ok, call now." roflmao

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 02:20 PM

My day pack isn’t camo.
Posted By: tlk

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 02:59 PM

Hunting a deer with a rifle IMO camo is not necessary. On the other hand, stalking through the mountains of New Mexico in the Gila national forest for elk then camo has its place.

I could really care less what a hunter wears while they are hunting -

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Don't get a camo phone case and accidentally drop it in the woods... sharing for a friend...

"Ok, call now." roflmao

notice the custom wrapped rangefinder… one could say I have a similar issue

Just for you STXranchmam
[Linked Image]

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa
you have ever drove a tractor or combine in a bean or cornfield? you can kill ringneck pheasant, quail, deer you name it with a 22 revolver. no camo.

yes just wait until it snows, pheasants stand out in the cut corn and milo fields. Good dog and you dont even have to get out of the truck. Sad day when the Game warden took our 22 away.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 07:36 PM

My day pack isn’t camo.

Oh come on now...Muddy Girl is technically camo.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 09:16 PM

I’d rock me some Muddy Girl.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 10:02 PM

I’d rock me some Muddy Girl.

Christmas is only a week away…

[Linked Image]

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by kry226

"Ok, call now." roflmao

notice the custom wrapped rangefinder… one could say I have a similar issue

Just for you STXranchmam
[Linked Image]

I remember sending you a tracker tag but it got lost in the mail.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 10:39 PM

No Camo....... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 10:59 PM

Notice in the early 1900's hunting photos, they all wore a tie and were dressed up?
Posted By: jetdad

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 11:38 PM

Camo when I started hunting was a green shirt in the spring and summer and brown in the fall and winter.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 11:47 PM

When you live, work and hunt on your ranch every day, besides not getting made by sharp eyed animals like coyotes, it doesn’t look dirty as easy as solid colors do. Camo is my retirement uniform.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/17/23 11:56 PM

When you live, work and hunt on your ranch every day, besides not getting made by sharp eyed animals like coyotes, it doesn’t look dirty as easy as solid colors do. Camo is my retirement uniform.

I'm retired and wear camo cargo shorts every day.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

I'm retired and wear camo cargo shorts every day.

Heck yeah! I'd do that but I have too much green briar for shorts.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 01:58 AM

I remember sending you a tracker tag but it got lost in the mail.

all whom wander are not lost….. they are just looking for theirs keys. Range is a little limited though

[Linked Image]

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 02:03 AM

Notice in the early 1900's hunting photos, they all wore a tie and were dressed up?

You ever have summer duck.

Market gunning paid well

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 02:59 AM

Market gunning paid well

A tie is just a leash your master cut, because he knows you ain't going nowhere.

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 03:05 AM

Market gunning paid well

A tie is just a leash your master cut, because he knows you ain't going nowhere.

i just realized I miss quoted the movie- ….Mr. Judge, you must never et Summer Duck….Judge- case dismissed
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 12/18/23 04:27 AM

Y'all got this all wrong. The two dudes are simply photo bombing... you don't see the dude that killed the deer who is in camo.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: How Did They Do That?? - 01/04/24 10:02 PM

I found another pic in my grandads stuff.

Getting ready to hunt rocking the camo.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum