Texas Hunting Forum

Need Mount advice

Posted By: Jbell99

Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 12:08 AM

I picked up a Fallow mount and it has a strong smell to it that I can’t get rid of, it’s alittle bit better today but it made the whole house smell ( kind of like chemicals) I tried fabreeze and chemical guys signiture scent ( aka stripper scent) niether of them helped. Anyone have any advice? [Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 12:09 AM

Just live with it. It’s gonna pass

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Just live with it. It’s gonna pass

Doesn’t bother me really, the girls just keep talking about the smell and they can’t be on that side of the house so was gonna try and make it better.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 03:33 AM

Yup. A lot of exotic mounts have some odor. Had a sika done a few years back. Took it home, next day took it back to the taxidermist. It was horrid. Hung in his shop for about a month before the smell dissipated. Taxi can have the hide tanned and that will take a lot of the smell out, but sounds like that advice is too late for you.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 01:41 PM

Candle 'til it dissipates? But, I gotta know, what's a "stripper scent"? grin
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 02:08 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JethroODB

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 04:14 PM

You can put some charcoal in a couple of socks and hang them on the mount. It will absorb the smell.
Posted By: George S

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 04:36 PM

Leave it outside in a screened enclosure (to keep dermestid beetles off it) or try soy candles (which work well enough to remove4 cigar smoke from a room).
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 06:46 PM

That mount can't be worse than the odor of Glade Clean Linen
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 08:32 PM

Could try hanging it in your garage for a month or so to see if it goes away.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Whack n stack
Could try hanging it in your garage for a month or so to see if it goes away.

Had to do this once. Took about a month in the garage and then I could take it in the house.
Posted By: buck wild

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 10:52 PM

if it's really "chemical" smell (good thing as its likely tanning chemicals) it will go away as others have said in a few weeks. If it smells like an animal (that's bad) then that is a whole different deal and likely not a tanned hide but dry preserved.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/05/20 11:42 PM

who did your mount?

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/06/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

[Linked Image]
This is stripper scent they renamed it to signature scent, I ran a hotel for a few years and I would change the label and get the house keepers to use the different scents and they all said that was the best smelling one lmao! I highly recommend their products for car cleaning and smells.
Thanks everyone for the help I’ll give it a try!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Need Mount advice - 11/06/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jbell99
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

[Linked Image]
This is stripper scent they renamed it to signature scent, I ran a hotel for a few years and I would change the label and get the house keepers to use the different scents and they all said that was the best smelling one lmao! I highly recommend their products for car cleaning and smells.
Thanks everyone for the help I’ll give it a try!

Oh, I waunt that! roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum