Texas Hunting Forum

Lease Prices going up

Posted By: zornhunter

Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:44 PM

I am frustrated for sure this year mad. We have been looking for a family lease for almost 3 yrs now. I have called land owners, chamber of commerce, signed up for numerous lease sites and yet the only thing i find is over priced deer leases. What is going on with this? 24 acres no camping for $2500, 115 acres 3 hunters $3000 per but no guests. We shoot 1-2 deer a year since thats all we can eat. I have taught my boys not to shoot anything we wont eat (turtles, coyotes and snakes are the exception). We have looked at 7 leases over the summer and none have worked out. Half were due to "no kids under 12 policy" REALLY. no kids??

Ladies and Gentlemen, If the common working family cannot afford to teach the next generation the outdoors/hunting then us as hunters are in serious trouble because our kids wont care if gun laws are passed.

Rant over: 11 days till dove season!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:51 PM

How far are you willing to travel?
Posted By: AbeLinkkin

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:51 PM

Welcome to the current state of hunting in Texas. The demand for land, and therefore prices, is only going to get worse.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:54 PM

Our deer lease pricing has more than doubled in 4 years time. We were priced well under market value 4 years ago. Then it made a big jump up to near market value, and has increased every year. We removed one hunter and another one left and we have not replaced either. So we incorporated their fees into our pricing. But when you think about it, it's still a good deal over all.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by AbeLinkkin
Welcome to the current state of hunting in Texas. The demand for land, and therefore prices, is only going to get worse.

$48 gets you 500,000+ acres of deer hunting and 120 dove and small game specific leases. The price for a non governed recreational will always increase

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 02:57 PM

Well their are surely overpriced deer leases out there. But there are still leases available you just have to be persistent and have a little luck. Must be ready to commit quickly when something comes up. Suggest you take a drive into areas you like and check with the feed stores in the area. Wishing good luck for you.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 03:12 PM

Will echo that about finding a good lease. They don't need to advertise, they will fill quickly. Check the feed stores or gun shops. talk to a game warden or local LEO about it. Chamber of Commerce sometimes has lists they might share. Membership in the Masonic Lodge, Rotary, Elks or other organizations can help also. Sometimes just visiting with the landowner if you see them will get you a leg up.

The best one we have is 1200 acres, started at $10/acre 18 years ago, and has gone up one dollar per acre per year. $12,000 to start and is up to $28,000. That is still way less than market value but is a valued deal for both the members and land owner.
Posted By: Biggen13

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 03:20 PM

You could find some day hunts until you find a year round lease. You can look in the newspaper from the area you want to hunt for day hunts and may be able to find a year round lease through talking with folks at the day hunt lease. We used to advertise in the local and San Antonio paper when we did day hunts and I would always see more places listed besides ours.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 03:28 PM

That is why I drive 8 hours to hunt Oklahoma public land. Texas is ridiculously expensive to deer hunt.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 03:41 PM

There is another ranch southwest of Abilene that is soon to be a suburb, 8 of us used to hunt that place. .One of our old dove leases east of Abilene is now a subdivision.
https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/2...cres-of-farm-and-ranch-land-in-15-years/
Texas Lost Over 1 Million Acres Of Private Farm and Ranch Land In 15 Years

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
That is why I drive 8 hours to hunt Oklahoma public land. Texas is ridiculously expensive to deer hunt.

Yelp Oklahoma is $300 for deer tags(per season)+$ 176 small game + $26 for WC passport or you pay $80 (for 5 deer tags, small game, and APH permit) in Texas.

It’s crazy that we discount our public lands here in TX.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 04:41 PM

Lease prices going up.

Two things.

Taxes going up.

Houston/Dallas and Ft. Worth money keeps bidding up what land is available to lease

When my current lease agreement is over, it will double in the future, I leased too cheap.

Landowners have not obligation to lease too cheap, it is a fair market and we own the land and have bills to pay.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 05:30 PM

Prices are what they are... Get your kids enrolled in some TYHP hunts, great way to spend a weekend.

https://www.tyhp.org/
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 06:14 PM

Here's one of my secret tips so please don't share it. Very easy and effective without costing you a dime.

Check to see if any of the smaller, AM radio stations in the area where you wish to hunt offers a daily program where people call in with things to sell or buy? Even if you can't pick up the station where you live, check the station website to see if they offer such a program. Then just call in during that time and say you're looking to lease land for deer hunting and give your call back number. Put some thought into what you're going to say, keeping it brief and to the point so that it attracts the attention of landowners wanting only respectable hunters. Just don't wait until the season is a month away.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 08:13 PM

Hunting has become a supply and demand sport- what you think is too expensive someone will gladly pay. I have seen some that will post they just got on a new lease and want to know what the hunting is like in the area....Were you so desperate to get on a lease that you didn't take time first to see if it would be worth the money? I know I push this a lot, but hunting east Texas timber company leases has become about that most cost effective hunting in the state short of hunting public land. Crown leasing currently has a number of tracts up for bid now.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Russ79
Hunting has become a supply and demand sport- what you think is too expensive someone will gladly pay. I have seen some that will post they just got on a new lease and want to know what the hunting is like in the area....Were you so desperate to get on a lease that you didn't take time first to see if it would be worth the money? I know I push this a lot, but hunting east Texas timber company leases has become about that most cost effective hunting in the state short of hunting public land. Crown leasing currently has a number of tracts up for bid now.

How do you keep other people from hunting your timber lease. I know that there are no fences in the timber leases. So, do you call GW if you see someone on your lease. I'm sure there are many honest mistakes about boundary lines in the timber leases.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 09:13 PM

Buy your own land and hunt on it

I did

It’s not the landowners fault, supply and demand

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 09:21 PM

It doesn't help when landowners have no idea how many deer are needed to provide an acceptable hunter success rate. All they know is they have deer and people are willing to pay a lot of money to hunt them. More people hunting on their property equals more money.

I've found hunting tactics can impact demand if you're someone willing to hunt without the benefit of feeders. The supply of hunters drops drastically when a landowner doesn't allow feeders because he/she fears damage created by wild hogs.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 09:22 PM

Purple paint!
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Here's one of my secret tips so please don't share it. Very easy and effective without costing you a dime.

Check to see if any of the smaller, AM radio stations in the area where you wish to hunt offers a daily program where people call in with things to sell or buy? Even if you can't pick up the station where you live, check the station website to see if they offer such a program. Then just call in during that time and say you're looking to lease land for deer hunting and give your call back number. Put some thought into what you're going to say, keeping it brief and to the point so that it attracts the attention of landowners wanting only respectable hunters. Just don't wait until the season is a month away.

so you don't want him to share it cause its a secret but you post it on a public forum instead of in a PM?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 10:07 PM

I have been leasing timber company land for well over 10 years and have had very few problems. One thing that helps me is that the farthest tract that I lease from my house is only seven miles. Depends on the tract on whether you have to worry about poachers. Night hunters on the roads can happen anywhere. I have one lease where there is only one road in and thick timber along the county roads. You can't stop anyone if they want to walk in but most illegal hunters are too lazy for that. As was mentioned, post and paint the boundaries although the timber companies paint their boundaries anyway. Become good friends with the game wardens. Make sure you put up gates at the access points with locks. East Texas is harder hunting- harder than many hunters want to put out effort. But it can be satisfying if you are patient and don't expect to see something on every hunt. There are currently 25 tracts up for bid on Crown's website- www.frcleasing.com.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

so you don't want him to share it cause its a secret but you post it on a public forum instead of in a PM?

Tongue in cheek humor directed at no one in particular.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by zornhunter
I am frustrated for sure this year mad. We have been looking for a family lease for almost 3 yrs now. I have called land owners, chamber of commerce, signed up for numerous lease sites and yet the only thing i find is over priced deer leases. What is going on with this? 24 acres no camping for $2500, 115 acres 3 hunters $3000 per but no guests. We shoot 1-2 deer a year since thats all we can eat. I have taught my boys not to shoot anything we wont eat (turtles, coyotes and snakes are the exception). We have looked at 7 leases over the summer and none have worked out. Half were due to "no kids under 12 policy" REALLY. no kids??

Ladies and Gentlemen, If the common working family cannot afford to teach the next generation the outdoors/hunting then us as hunters are in serious trouble because our kids wont care if gun laws are passed.

Not trying to be a jackwagon…..but!

It's a hunting lease...not a family recreational property lease.... The main reason you see leases with: No guests, No kids, No pets, No camping, etc. is because the land owners have had bad experiences in the past. Some people believe that since they lease to hunt then the should have unlimited asses to the property 24/7/365 for hunting, fishing, camping, etc....

My uncle doesn't allow dogs because he has the county trapper placing poison out for coyote control as he also raises exotics...several people have gotten pizzed that they couldn't bring their dogs....all he is trying to do is protect their pets....

Not all are land owners are like that but it is their property and their decision who and how others may use/access their property.... 2cents
Posted By: JCB

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 11:38 PM

Leases are easy to find but they don't come cheap and they wont always have the set of rules that you like. If you are looking at $2500-$3k leases and not finding what you are looking for then you are either too picky or not looking very hard.

When you say you have been looking for a "family lease for almost 3 years now" are you saying that you are wanting to pay for one spot for the whole family??? If so I bet that's why you haven't found what you are looking for. I cant imagine not being able to find a lease in 3 years if your expectations and budget is reasonable.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/21/19 11:54 PM

Been a lot of leases listed here lately. If I wasn't extremely happy where I'm currently at I'd have immediately been in contact with a few of them. When we looked at this place 6 years ago we had money in hand.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 12:01 AM

I’m sure it’s tougher around highly populated areas like San Marcos. Your gonna have to get away farther.

The leases you mentioned sound outrageous. If that is what your looking at, you need to change the dynamic. Your getting the wrong answers because your not askin the right questions, so to speak.

I cant imagine not finding a lease for 3 years. Either your asking way too much from a lease, or your not willing to pay what someone asks to give you that lease.

Honestly, you could find a lease in 1-2 weeks if you really wanted to. The bit of extra money that a tangible lease costs over what your current financial expectations are is negligible when you get on a good lease, IMO.

Of course you could always go buy your own place.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 12:36 AM

I'm so happy I have my own place. I had to do without for quite some time and not keep up with the Joneses as far as vehicles and big houses but in 13 months I retire and will live in the woods as I should. I can't imagine leasing anymore. Buy land now is the moral to this story.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 04:15 AM

I hope all is well with you. How is the Honda doing? Enjoy the retirement when you start. Thank you for your service. Dale Ewald
Posted By: tlk

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 12:33 PM

There is an east Texas family friendly lease listed on this forum. In your price range. Have you contacted them?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 12:49 PM

The internet has changed everything. Something that used to be mostly a word of mouth deal is now easily accessible, to landowners and hunters. Might be easier for you to find but because the endless supply of hunters looking for a lease online it drives the price up.

I got blasted in the land and leases forum for my initial post in there and I'm still pretty much a black list member in there.

It is what it is. As long as people are willing to spend a couple thousand a year plus fill feeders, fix fences, and etc. just for the privilege to use one stand and share it with other hunters, it will keep getting worse.

I have resolved to use public land only, and wait until I can buy my own place and hunt on my own terms, with a few exceptions.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 02:30 PM

About 4 hrs max. We go to my uncle's farm just north of Perrin for turkey season.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Well their are surely overpriced deer leases out there. But there are still leases available you just have to be persistent and have a little luck. Must be ready to commit quickly when something comes up. Suggest you take a drive into areas you like and check with the feed stores in the area. Wishing good luck for you.

I think over priced is an understatement.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 04:01 PM

If lease rates would've increased in step with everything else in your everyday life there wouldn't be a large lease (2000+ acres) for less than $10 per acre or a small lease ( 400 acres & under) for less than $30 per acre available anywhere.

I know I've turned down ridiculous money from a few guys for our place in Young county.

The last time I leased our place in Blanco county I had made up my mind never again, these 2 guys from Austin said name your price & terms, I said $60 per acre my contract, be sure to read it before signing, they said we'll take it, paid cash money on the spot. They were removed by the second week of deer season.

I know several LO's getting more than $50 per acre within an hour or so of DFW, one in Wise over $70, one in Grayson county considerably over $100 per acre.

If you owned land how much would you charge per acre or hunter to let basically strangers with firearms run around on it year-round or just hunting seasons?

So, a LO is supposed to refuse money and look for someone willing to pay less?
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 04:17 PM

Is it over priced?? Or just more than YOU want to pay?? The price is whatever the market can handle. We do (currently) live in a free enterprise society.

Is it expensive?? Yup
Are there alternatives?? Yup. Public land. Day lease etc.

It sucks, but the other alternative is having Big Brother own all our land and telling us what to do with it. Now, do we really want THAT???
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 04:40 PM

Sounds like a bunch of property owners on here. I haven't leased a property in probably 8 years and won't ever again. You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else or hunt public land here in Texas which can be great or hunt public land in other states which can be a great trip. Too many choices to waste money on property owner that wants to pack you like sardines. Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:05 PM

There are a lot of property owners in here. It's like the Texas Property Owners Forum!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Sounds like a bunch of property owners on here. I haven't leased a property in probably 8 years and won't ever again. You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else or hunt public land here in Texas which can be great or hunt public land in other states which can be a great trip. Too many choices to waste money on property owner that wants to pack you like sardines. Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

Sounds like you will enjoy public hunting.

Funny how guys like you NEVER buy their own property & then lease it out for cheap.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by laid over
There are a lot of property owners in here. It's like the Texas Property Owners Forum!

You sound like a complete jerk in your posts.

You don’t have to “walk on eggshells” (like you say in almost every post) & there isn’t a blacklist that your on. It’s just that nobody cares what an over-opinianted cheapskate with no deer lease thinks.

Either pay the free market rate for a lease, or go buy your own place. Pissing & moaning about it will get you no where & you won’t get any sympathy. Your a grown damn man but complain like a woman.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
pay the free market rate for a lease

Yeah, we see your idea of "free market rates" for your lease. LOL!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:46 PM

Look in the real estate market for property for sale in the areas where you can lease. Pay attention to the taxes as well. This will put things in perspective for you that landowners are not over charging for most leases that can be leased.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:50 PM

If you’re too poor to pay the going rate work harder and save more money. Or should I call you a whambulence? crying

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Look in the real estate market for property for sale in the areas where you can lease. Pay attention to the taxes as well. This will put things in perspective for you that landowners are not over charging for most leases that can be leased.

The “free hunt” crowd will never do that. They are too busy bellyaching. They want someone else to buy property (for $2-$10k per acre), develop it for hunting, & then let them lease it for a full year with unlimited access for a couple of hundred dollars. If you don’t, your greedy.

They have no idea about costs associated with land ownership. Road maintenance, brush control, food plots, taxes, etc. All they want is a cheap lease so they can tag out & fill their freezer, but they also wanna use your land all year to bring friends & family out.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:55 PM

LOMFL indeed! Guess who will hunting their own nice deer lease this season, & who will be hunting public land with all the other broke-dick bellyaching slobs. I see more deer every day than you likely see in a year.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 05:56 PM

Would you be willing to pay $2600.00 per year for a 2,600 acre lease, year round access, utilities, trailer hook ups, great hunting and fishing, 10 hunters, one man game limit per family?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 06:04 PM

Just wrote my annual check to the land owner we lease from. Couldn't be happier with what I get for my money. Year round access to a 2000 acre ranch I couldn't afford with every dollar I'll make in my lifetime. Rather than complaining about "expensive" deer leases why don't you get off your rear and do some extra work to be able to pay to enjoy a nice lease.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 06:30 PM

I have to wonder how many of those who seem to brag about buying land, actually bought enough to support the number of deer they plan to take off it. Makes you wonder if they're not the same ones who are so quick to defend hunting fence lines. After all, how many deer can live and thrive on 10 acres.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 06:32 PM

LOMFL indeed! Guess who will hunting their own nice deer lease this season, & who will be hunting public land with all the other broke-dick bellyaching slobs. I see more deer every day than you likely see in a year.

Lol
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 06:34 PM

Give someone a cup of coffee and then they want you to buy them a donut to go with it.
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisB
Just wrote my annual check to the land owner we lease from. Couldn't be happier with what I get for my money. Year round access to a 2000 acre ranch I couldn't afford with every dollar I'll make in my lifetime. Rather than complaining about "expensive" deer leases why don't you get off your rear and do some extra work to be able to pay to enjoy a nice lease.

I agree 100%. I must look at it different. When I was young my father went without, to provide the opportunity for my brother and I to have a place to hunt. It was a family style lease that was held for around 30 years with the same land owner and mostly the same group of men and their families. The memories are wonderful, the friendships have lasted a lifetime, and honestly it is something that money can't replace. Because I have tried with my own kids and recreating that atmosphere hasn't happened. Never even came close to this point. I consider myself fortunate to afford what I have and my kids have learned to enjoy the outdoors and hunting. But those friendships can't be bought and you can't make it a priority for people who don't see the same value.

For me personally, when I think about the great memories of my childhood, I can narrow the majority down to just a few places. My grandparents house, the deer lease, sports, and the lake house we had for a brief time until my parents had to sell it. So for me I will go to great lengths to give my kids the same opportunity and I am willing to do without in order to make it happen. Its not cheap but its important and a priority for me. Doesn't hurt that I still have a passion for all those things as well.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 07:04 PM

You can pay just a little more and have a dream hunt somewhere else

Yeah, for a 3-4 day hunt. No thanks. I've been that route, too. Said I would never lease country again, but I just did. To me, hunting isn't about killing trophy deer anymore. It's more about memories made at the lease, around the campfire and the camaraderie with the other hunters. The place I just got on is 9,000 acres low fence in the heart of the Golden Triangle in south Texas. 12 hunters total. I wouldn't call that being packed in like sardines. And the place has been intensively managed for many years for the healthiest whitetail herd the country can produce. The owners spend a ton of time and money making their ranch awesome for the animals and their hunters. Yes, it's expensive to lease GOOD country. As it should be. Oh, and though I don't care if I ever kill another giant whitetail, this place has them. A bunch of them.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 07:13 PM

I don't own property but respect property rights and fair market competition....if you want socialism move to California...I understand lots of folks are moving away from there....just be careful what guns, ammo, and magazines you take with you....

texas
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

I don't own property but respect property rights and fair market competition....if you want socialism move to California...I understand lots of folks are moving away from there....just be careful what guns, ammo, and magazines you take with you....

texas

roflmao
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 07:52 PM

Finding a lease isn't easy...finding a good lease is even harder. Good luck to all those looking, I've been there and it sucks.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 08:11 PM

The last 3 leases I have been on including the current one were not advertised on any site, paper, chamber of commerce, etc... I was fortunate to know someone who knew someone and I get calls every year wanting to know if I'm interested in leasing this place or that. It's not that easy for everyone and yes, it's not cheap. One thing I'll say is that if a lease comes up in a good area, you better take it if you can afford it, site unseen if necessary. You can slow roll it the first year to see how good it is and either keep it or move to another one. By slow rolling I mean don't set up 20 feeders and stands and move in 10 travel trailers.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 08:13 PM

I would drive to Ok. before I did a Tx. public land hunt, I know some of you have had good luck, its just to whacky for me, went on a dove hunt a few years ago, there was a hunter every 20yds around a 160acre patch and even some idiots out in the middle

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Txhunter65
Finding a lease isn't easy...finding a good lease is even harder. Good luck to all those looking, I've been there and it sucks.

...and finding unicorns, bigfoot, and a black panther in Texas extremely difficult if not impossible....

Good luck finding a 250 acre $2,000 lease covered in deer, family friendly, with 24/7/365 access to run around the place like you own it....

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 08:51 PM

...and finding unicorns, bigfoot, and a black panther in Texas extremely difficulGood luck finding a 250 acre $2,000 lease covered in deer, family friendly, with 24/7/365 access to run around the place like you own it....

If that is a hunters criteria, they may not have reasonable expectations.

Like if I was lookin for a rich girlfriend, who had a twin sister, never complained, they would buy me a sailboat & give me $20k a month to play with, & they didn’t care if I brought stray chicks home sometimes. Those expectations are not reasonable.

Many hunters have completely unrealistic expectations.

In this scenario, a 250 acre ranch could easily cost $1,000,000. & the hunter is wanting full access, year round, like he owns the joint, for $2,000. What other $1,000,000 assets can you lease for a full year & do as you please for $2,000?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 08:55 PM

Here’s a little truth for the “free hunt” crowd.

No landowner owes you a cheap lease. They don’t owe you a lease of any sort, for any price. They may not wanna lease it for any amount.

Either pay fair market rate, go buy your own place, or don’t hunt (or hunt public land).

I have hunted public land 1 time & it was awful. The $2-$5,000 spent on a good private deer lease is cheap compared to all the other options out there.
Posted By: Deer-getter

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 09:14 PM

Another option is to buy land with one or two trustworthy friends/family members (or more depending on the size of the land). Set it up as an LLC and split all cost, set rules in the operating agreement of the LLC. this is what me and two of my best friends have done. It cuts down the cost and work for everyone while at the same time owning your own property.

Just a suggestions and I agree that you either pay fair market rate or hunt public land. The land owner doesn't have to lease his land at all.
Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 10:53 PM

I'm curious what you guys are calling over priced? How much is a lease worth?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 11:08 PM

Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

I bet they would let you hang a tree stand if you asked.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Imagine that, you are paying a land owner to come onto their property to sit in a wooden box. No thanks!

I bet they would let you hang a tree stand if you asked.

Heck I bet he would even let you stomp around the place all you wanted to and never have to put up a stand or feeder. I hunted a place in Texas Panhandle that did not have any deer blinds on it.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 11:17 PM

You sound like a complete jerk in your posts.

You don’t have to “walk on eggshells” (like you say in almost every post) & there isn’t a blacklist that your on. It’s just that nobody cares what an over-opinianted cheapskate with no deer lease thinks.

Either pay the free market rate for a lease, or go buy your own place. Pissing & moaning about it will get you no where & you won’t get any sympathy. Your a grown damn man but complain like a woman.

You're a grown man that hurls insults like a child.

How does "trespass fee" make you look like a jerk? Let's pretend I am the first person to use it in the forum and post a bunch of bullcrap in my want ad.

Eggshells!

Many landowners in this very forum expect you to pay top dollar for nothing and then kiss their derrierre and do work around their place for free while also paying "fair market price"... fair market price my eye.

Some of these guys that pay what they pay for what they are getting either are new to the game and don't know any better, or they lack the confidence to hunt without a feeder and etc. Eventually they will catch on. Public land is not a bust! It offers more and better habitat and more and better animals than most of the places ya'll call a "lease" these days. Only thing missing is bait and a stand to hide in- what fun is that anyway?

So many deer on public land it is not funny.

I am all about the market doing what it will and I'm happy for landowners to be successful with it. I think it's great and if I has a piece of property I might do the same.

But don't treat me like a scab when I ask for what you think is too much. Maybe give me some pointers instead of the knee jerk reaction. I never used a lease in my life and I got a few things to learn, obviously. But at least I know better than to waste my hard earned money on a lease where I am allowed to walk to and from a stand and fill the feeders. What a joke.

Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/22/19 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by o2bwest

You pay $3,000 a gun and only see does or illegal bucks. Some hunts you see no deer. That is probably overpriced. Many places like this. We pay $9 an acre for 1,000 acres 2 hours from Dallas. Maybe under priced but we only kill 2 to 3 bucks a year between 6 of us. Neighbors pay even less. Mine being biggest in 10 years at 145. I have only taken 3 the whole time. One guy no buck in 8 years. Place only supports 2 to 3 a year max anyway. LO inherited the place. I don't know anyone leasing a place that isn't 100% paid off. Neighboring property sold for $1,800 an acre abt 6 years ago and $2,200 3 years ago. Now someone is chopping g it up into stupid 10 acre ranchettes charging $10K an acre with a barndo.
Posted By: Deer-getter

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:06 AM

I've been a land owner for 3 years now but leased before I bought my own land. it's not easy finding a good lease and finding the value of what you are leasing takes a little leg work. I suggest always scouting the land before leasing, know who else is hunting on the lease, who runs the lease, what the rules are, and most important how safe are the other hunters. it's best to lease with only people you know and have the same ethical hunting standards that you have. The counties that produce the biggest bucks will always be the highest price but make sure that were you lease has potential and good terrain for hunting.

lastly,,,, something to think about,,, don't get a lease that is too far were you are reluctant to go because it's a beating driving for 4 plus hours to hunt... and it becomes less enjoyable.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Txduckman

You pay $3,000 a gun and only see does or illegal bucks. Some hunts you see no deer. That is probably overpriced. Many places like this. We pay $9 an acre for 1,000 acres 2 hours from Dallas. Maybe under priced but we only kill 2 to 3 bucks a year between 6 of us. Neighbors pay even less. Mine being biggest in 10 years at 145. I have only taken 3 the whole time. One guy no buck in 8 years. Place only supports 2 to 3 a year max anyway. LO inherited the place. I don't know anyone leasing a place that isn't 100% paid off. Neighboring property sold for $1,800 an acre abt 6 years ago and $2,200 3 years ago. Now someone is chopping g it up into stupid 10 acre ranchettes charging $10K an acre with a barndo.

If this is what you get for $9,000 you need to get into public land for sure. And if you can't find any nearby that allow you to take deer then to hell with deer hunting, just start hunting pigs.

The one poor guy with no buck in 8 years could take his $9,000 and do a couple of trophy hunts in Hill Country where literally the deer and the antelope play.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:22 AM

I'm thinking King Ranch or etc for sure. Shameful.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:38 AM

If this is what you get for $9,000 you need to get into public land for sure. And if you can't find any nearby that allow you to take deer then to hell with deer hunting, just start hunting pigs.

The one poor guy with no buck in 8 years could take his $9,000 and do a couple of trophy hunts in Hill Country where literally the deer and the antelope play.

You are only factoring in deer hunting and leaving out hogs, turkey, doves, quail, ducks, geese, cranes, varmints, predators, rabbits, squirrels, fishing, etc.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:39 AM

You will never, ever find a lease bro with those expectations.. Plus your math is wrong. You want to kill a 150+ a year for $1,000 or something? I take 1 to 3 a year total on our place and 1 to 4 elsewhere with friends. Plus turkey, dove, preds, hogs, snakes, arrowheads, fish, etc...Buddy who hasn't shot one in 8 maybe goes 2 to 3 nights the whole year. One of our guys only pig hunts and hasn't killed a deer since he was a kid 25 years ago. We have year round total access with all game with water and electricty, camp mile from nearest gate, LO lives elsewhere. I have almost 20 different guests come out. Some shooting their first animal. Good luck beating that anywhere for that price. Good luck.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:49 AM

$9 an acre for 1,000 acres is $9,000.

But even at $1,000 a year, after 8 years of getting skunked you could have spent that and gotten a dream hunt twice.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman

You are only factoring in deer hunting and leaving out hogs, turkey, doves, quail, ducks, geese, cranes, varmints, predators, rabbits, squirrels, fishing, etc.

Exactly. Because dealing with most landowners, according to what I read in this very forum, you don't get all those priveleges with most landowners.

If I could get all that for $1,000-$2,000 a year, I wouldn't even care about the damn deer. I spend more than that on internet and cable. Be perfectly happy taking my kids fishing and rabbit and squirrel hunting if it's productive enough. But I get it for FREE minus the deer so you're paying for the deer.

If I could get a spot like that I'd be willing to pay.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:53 AM

But even at $1,000 a year, after 8 years of getting skunked you could have spent that and gotten a dream hunt twice.

Its $10K for 1,100 acres.l to be exact. Geez. You are all about the blood, we get it. You don't control anyone's trigger finger you know right?? Good luck on your public.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:55 AM

Its $10K for 1,100 acres.l to be exact. Geez. You are all about the blood, we get it. You don't control anyone's trigger finger you know right?? Good luck on your public.

All about the blood?

Not exactly although I am not even sure what you mean.

But I am definitely all about calling out landowners on ripping people off! Especially in this forum.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:58 AM

texas

I never asked for socialism and I love Texas more than you know. But I see what you did there, accuse me of being a socialist and try to reduce my credibility. Very sly. Not really though.

But hey if you like getting ripped off, go for it.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:58 AM

Exactly. Because dealing with most landowners, according to what I read in this very forum, you don't get all those priveleges with most landowners.

If I could get all that for $1,000-$2,000 a year, I wouldn't even care about the damn deer. I spend more than that on internet and cable. Be perfectly happy taking my kids fishing and rabbit and squirrel hunting if it's productive enough. But I get it for FREE minus the deer so you're paying for the deer.

If I could get a spot like that I'd be willing to pay.

You are wrong about what the "majority" of lease members are getting for their lease. Those leases they are on are not posted on here because the are full or easily filled by word of mouth. Even when you do find a lease like that you would still find something to pizz and moan about on here.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:01 AM

All about the blood?

Not exactly although I am not even sure what you mean.

But I am definitely all about calling out landowners on ripping people off! Especially in this forum.

You are complaining about one of my friends on lease not pulling the trigger in 8 years because he doesn't want to?! He has enough on the wall. Wtf. That is the best kind of member, plus they bring extra beer.

You aren't calling out anything btw. Just complaining about nothing at this point.

Did you used to have another name???
Posted By: grimreapor

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:08 AM

Every lease is worth as much as someone wants to pay for it. Not everyone has to get their”moneys worth” to justify the price they pay. I lease and enjoy every part of it, not just about killing deer.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:30 AM

[/quote] You are wrong about what the "majority" of lease members are getting for their lease. Those leases they are on are not posted on here because the are full or easily filled by word of mouth. Even you would find a lease like that you would still find something to pizz and moan about on here.

laid over, don't worry. Be happy.

It sucks that 99% of the land in our state is privately owned. So getcha some, or pay a landowner for access. Good whitetail country leases for $15/acre on the bottom end. You get to stay in a tent and carp in a bucket. Take it from there as far as what you want and are willing to pay. Just the facts, ma'am. smirk

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:37 AM

You don't have to spend $15 or more for a lease if you are willing to hunt east Texas. Crown Leasing currently has 25 tracts of timber company land up for bid right now with some starting as low as $6.50/acre.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Russ79
You don't have to spend $15 or more for a lease if you are willing to hunt east Texas. Crown Leasing currently has 25 tracts of timber company land up for bid right now with some starting as low as $6.50/acre.

Well, there you go. lo. Russ79, do those tracts come with blinds, feeders, lodging, electric, water, septic, or just hunting access? How large are the tracts?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman
You are wrong about what the "majority" of lease members are getting for their lease. Those leases they are on are not posted on here because the are full or easily filled by word of mouth. Even you would find a lease like that you would still find something to pizz and moan about on here.

laid over, don't worry. Be happy.

It sucks that 99% of the land in our state is privately owned. So getcha some, or pay a landowner for access. Good whitetail country leases for $15/acre on the bottom end. You get to stay in a tent and carp in a bucket. Take it from there as far as what you want and are willing to pay. Just the facts, ma'am. smirk

[/quote]

Wow I almost thought you had taken a stab at being cool.

It doesn't really matter at this point. I can't keep this up all night, ya'll have fun and don't stay up too late boys and girls.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:23 AM

I never asked for socialism and I love Texas more than you know. But I see what you did there, accuse me of being a socialist and try to reduce my credibility. Very sly. Not really though.

But hey if you like getting ripped off, go for it.

Socialist hate landowners about like you do. They also wanna tell private property owners what hey can do, what they charge, etc. Y’all have a lot in common.

Let me explain how stupid your “trespass fee” is. If I as landowner & you as leassee agree to a deal that allows you to hunt, it’s a contract. If you are caught poaching on my land, there is no amount of money that you could offer me to get you out of legal trouble. It’s like saying that buying your wife dinner is a “rape fee”.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:28 AM

LOf’nL. Some citiot is gonna pick a bone with a large working ranch.

Didja ever think that maybe some of that income from their deer hunting operation covers lots of ranch expenses?

You are clueless. This is like a 40 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy how to bang chicks.

Enjoy your free public hunting. It’s worth every penny.
Posted By: o2bwest

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:33 AM

All due respect but OP seems surprised he can’t find a unicorn.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:40 AM

LOf’nL. Some citiot is gonna pick a bone with a large working ranch.

Didja ever think that maybe some of that income from their deer hunting operation covers lots of ranch expenses?

You are clueless. This is like a 40 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy how to bang chicks.

Yeah you definitely need to re-read that.

The point is that the King Ranch deal is a good one and his lease was not.

The only "citiots" around here are the ones paying top dollar to sit in a stand.

You obviously feel threatened by my logic. If people come around to the truth I suppose you obviouslyhave something to lose.

I will enjoy my public hunting very much. Not exactly free but not spending thiusands to sit in a wood box a dozen times a year and hope for the best.

I bet you have been shooting deer in front of a feeder longer than I've been alive. How many times have you actually gone hunting?

To my critics- if you had ever actually been hunting once in your whole damn life, you'd understand why sitting in a stand will not work for me.

Have fun shooting deer by the feeder.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:40 AM

You are complaining about one of my friends on lease not pulling the trigger in 8 years because he doesn't want to?! He has enough on the wall. Wtf. That is the best kind of member, plus they bring extra beer.

You aren't calling out anything btw. Just complaining about nothing at this point.

Laid-out* has never considered many things about hunting, like how many hunters have been successfully hunting for years, & don’t have to kill a buck every year to be happy. That concept is literally something Laid-out* cannot understand. He’s too focused on not spending an extra couple hundos.

Broke-dick complainers will never understand how much work & sweat most lease guys go thru to have a nice place to hunt. I bet I’ve done more this week to make improve my deer lease than Laid-out* ever has in his life. The only thing he beats me at is bellyaching.

*yes I know his name is laid-over, but I’m changing it to Laid-out. But only because the name Bellyacher has already been take.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:43 AM

And oooohhhh by the way, in case you missed it (some of you already did) it's not paying for the lease. It's restriction to a blind or two and nothing else.

The one good post about everything else that could come with the lease sounded great. Bit that is not reality.

If I ever posted a thread in the land and leases forum looking for that I would get flamed to death. As a matter of fact I did, and I that is what happened.

Some of yall are conpletely hopeless.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:45 AM

maximus_flavius I'll not stoop to your level.

I really gotta go to bed.

I swear

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:45 AM

The only "citiots" around here are the ones paying top dollar to sit in a stand.

You obviously feel threatened by my logic. If people come around to the truth I suppose you obviouslyhave something to lose.

I will enjoy my public hunting very much. Not exactly free but not spending thiusands to sit in a wood box a dozen times a year and hope for the best.

I bet you have been shooting deer in front of a feeder longer than I've been alive. How many times have you actually gone hunting?

To my critics- if you had ever actually been hunting once in your whole damn life, you'd understand why sitting in a stand will not work for me.

You just hate it that other people have something nice that you don’t have. You won’t spend the time, money or effort to have it, you’ll just bellyache about it.

Here’s a hint; myself & many landowners that I know wouldn’t give a [censored] if every deer hunter fell off the Earth tomorrow. Most of us don’t need hunters. It’s more for entertainment & deer herd management. I could shoot all the deer needed mysel, never have another person come to my place, & I’d be just fine. alot of landowners don’t want anyone hunting their land for any price, mostly because they might run into someone like you.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:47 AM

Laid-out* has never considered many things about hunting, like how many hunters have been successfully hunting for years, & don’t have to kill a buck every year to be happy. That concept is literally something Laid-out* cannot understand. He’s too focused on not spending an extra couple hundos.

Broke-dick complainers will never understand how much work & sweat most lease guys go thru to have a nice place to hunt. I bet I’ve done more this week to make improve my deer lease than Laid-out* ever has in his life. The only thing he beats me at is bellyaching.

*yes I know his name is laid-over, but I’m changing it to Laid-out. But only because the name Bellyacher has already been take.

Txduckman:

You did not present that as him not wanting to pull the trigger. You presented it as an example of the difficulty to find legal deer.

Then you flip flopped.

Maximus- no comment

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:48 AM

I'll not stoop to your level.

Youll never be anywhere near my level, & I’m mediocre at best.

I hope you don’t have delusions of adequacy.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:49 AM

Or

You just hate it that other people have something nice that you don’t have. You won’t spend the time, money or effort to have it, you’ll just bellyache about it.

Here’s a hint; myself & many landowners that I know wouldn’t give a [censored] if every deer hunter fell off the Earth tomorrow. Most of us don’t need hunters. It’s more for entertainment & deer herd management. I could shoot all the deer needed mysel, never have another person come to my place, & I’d be just fine. alot of landowners don’t want anyone hunting their land for any price, mostly because they might run into someone like you.

That is funny, I am avoiding a lease so I don't have to deal with people like you.

I give up. No rest tonight. Bring it on.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:50 AM

I already can't stand you and I've never met you.

I would not hunt your place if you invited me over for free. Or even if you paid me to come!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:54 AM

Sometimes I go back and read stuff and I have to wonfer if I am talking to a grown man?

Does this person talk to people like this in real life or only just on the internet.

Wtf is wrong with you maximus

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:02 AM

laid over, you're right. I was trying to be cool for YOUR sake. Not stabbing at it. No hill for me b/c I'm typically pretty mellow.

Unfortunate that you couldn't accept an olive branch.

I'm finished here. Best of luck!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:13 AM

I would not hunt your place if you invited me over for free. Or even if you paid me to come!

So now I gotta pay you to hunt my place? That’s a bold strategy, Cotton.

I really wish you would, sometime in your life, splurge a little bit & get on a good lease. You would never hunt public land again. It’s too bad you couldn’t take a more modest approach here & perhaps an experienced hunter or landowner would have taken you under their wing. Of course your entire attitude of “trespass fees” & “greedy landowners” is very offputting & insulting, but if you could get away from that thinking (or at least keep your mouth shut), you might get somewhere.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:17 AM

I mean, you would also quit doin stupid stuff like shooting pigeons & piddling stuff. It annoys the other lease members & landowners.

Try taking deer hunting a little more serious, & life a little less serious. Don’t worry about spending a little extra $. Get on a good lease. Live a little. Put some sweat equity into a lease & try to make something. Make every season a little better than the one before.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:21 AM

So all the personal insults and etc aside, I am coming back to this:

A spot like that, where you have permission to spot and stalk, is as rare as hen's teeth- as some of you fellows have already pointed out. It's a word of mouth deal and you either gotta know somebody or own the property outright, yes?

What would that cost?

I don't think I am asking much.

I want a place where I can camp with my family, hunt small game, and catch fish like these and reasonably expect to find deer like this within a couple of hunts:

Now if thatis gonna cost me ballpark of $10,000 a year, well, all of this came from public land. Cost me about a hundred dollars a year for this kind of fishing and hunting, without driving more than two hours.

Attached picture 3F793321-F318-4DC9-8E93-7FAD85771F29.jpeg
Attached picture F6820CEB-FB40-41E0-86F6-B8F2BC122179.jpeg
Attached picture 8D4FE1A9-FAFA-4245-B3A0-44EC3F20110E.jpeg

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:23 AM

I mean, you would also quit doin stupid stuff like shooting pigeons & piddling stuff. It annoys the other lease members & landowners.

Try taking deer hunting a little more serious, & life a little less serious. Don’t worry about spending a little extra $. Get on a good lease. Live a little. Put some sweat equity into a lease & try to make something. Make every season a little better than the one before.

Maybe you are right.

The sad thing is I just love shooting pigeons. And I love pellet guns like a fat kid loves cake.
Posted By: woodduckhunter

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:25 AM

they continue to go up every year as they should. every year there are less places especially quality places to hunt, and as many or more people hunting most areas. land values and taxes go up every year, why shouldn't lease prices?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:25 AM

I am sorry for the trouble, i kept trying to make a point and I think I might be missing yours by at least as wide a margin as you missed mine. Now I gotta go to sleep.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by woodduckhunter
they continue to go up every year as they should. every year there are less places especially quality places to hunt, and as many or more people hunting most areas. land values and taxes go up every year, why shouldn't lease prices?

They absolutely should go up. Inflation is what it is.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:32 AM

Txduckman:

You did not present that as him not wanting to pull the trigger. You presented it as an example of the difficulty to find legal deer.

Then you flip flopped.

Maximus- no comment

Dude, it is $10k split 6 ways. It ain't $9k a year a person. It's a freaking good deal these days as I listed out our amenities. 8 stands to hunt or anywhere you want. I have been hunting up there 15 years now on 2 leases. Our LO has been offered double what we pay but doesn't want to deal with JAs. Buddy 20 miles away pays $4,500 a gun but 9x our acreage. They don't all kill bucks every year.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:33 AM

A spot like that, where you have permission to spot and stalk, is as rare as hen's teeth- as some of you fellows have already pointed out. It's a word of mouth deal and you either gotta know somebody or own the property outright, yes?

What would that cost?

I want a place where I can camp with my family, hunt small game, and catch fish like these and reasonably expect to find deer like this within a couple of hunts:

Now if thatis gonna cost me ballpark of $10,000 a year, well, all of this came from public land. Cost me about a hundred dollars a year for this kind of fishing and hunting, without driving more than two hours.

So how many acres do you think that would be? How many acres would you have to lease or own so you could spot & stalk, hunt all kinds of animals, fish, run around with the family, etc? How many acres?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:40 AM

laid over, keep hunting/fishing public land for $100/yr. Big slabs, high fin blues and 70" bucks eat damn good. That's a bargain.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:53 AM

What would that cost?

So how many acres do you think that would be? How many acres would you have to lease or own so you could spot & stalk, hunt all kinds of animals, fish, run around with the family, etc? How many acres?

I guess it would take at least a thousand acres, in East Texas or somewhere the vegetation is thick, plenty of cover. Would be fine if I was restricted to one buck and one doe a year for my entire household, or either or even depending on the rest of it. Other than that, cottontail and squirrels with air rifle only to keep the noise minimum and because I <3 airguns. Would be fine sharing it with other lessees. I'd bring No guests outside of my household. Wife, two young daughters, teenage boy.

I could live with restriction to stand during deer season so long as I can get after the squirrels and cottontails the rest of the year.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman
laid over, keep hunting/fishing public land for $100/yr. Big slabs, high fin blues and 70" bucks eat damn good. That's a bargain.

It is an incredible bargain.

I have no self discipline to speak of. I really am going to bed now.

Nite all

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:08 AM

So let’s say you need 1,000 acres. & close to the city to boot. Do you realize what your asking?

Your wanting to use a multi million dollar asset year round, as if it was yours, for a couple of hundred dollars a year. Even if you paid the mentioned price of $10k, that’s less than .5% of the value of the land.

What I think your missing, when comparing to public land, is the privacy & exclusivity of having your own place, be it ownership or lease. You can have things set up your way, & no one will interfere. It’s nothing like public land. The time I hunted public land, there was blaze orange everywhere. People camped out everywhere along the road. People tramping thru the forest everywhere. People drinking & people waving guns around. But maybe that was a fluke.

If your happy on public land, that’s great. Most people aren’t. They want their own place, 1 way or another.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:34 AM

So let’s say you need 1,000 acres. & close to the city to boot. Do you realize what your asking?

Your wanting to use a multi million dollar asset year round, as if it was yours, for a couple of hundred dollars a year. Even if you paid the mentioned price of $10k, that’s less than .5% of the value of the land.

What I think your missing, when comparing to public land, is the privacy & exclusivity of having your own place, be it ownership or lease. You can have things set up your way, & no one will interfere. It’s nothing like public land. The time I hunted public land, there was blaze orange everywhere. People camped out everywhere along the road. People tramping thru the forest everywhere. People drinking & people waving guns around. But maybe that was a fluke.

If your happy on public land, that’s great. Most people aren’t. They want their own place, 1 way or another.

You are right, it's asking too much.

I was thinking a hundred acres might do before I posted, then I changed my mind because you can't spot and stalk a hundred acres. I have walked all the way around and through a thousand acre wma a couple times in a day after squirrels and cottontails.

Then I figured if i an sharing with other lessees they'd be po'd about me spreading my scent around trying to stalk something.

I probably won't own a thousand acre place in this lifetime, more likely retire on like 40. So that'll be a deer stand and a feeder if I am ever gonna see a deer i guess.

Public land is hit or miss. My first time deer hunting public land I saw a couple dozen trucks parked throughout the woods in a half hour walking. Hell with thst.

But if you are willing to walk a long way and bust a couple of draws you can have the rest to yourself. People are lazy, go where they won't. That has rewarded me in fishing and hunting.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:51 AM

Spot & stalk is nice, I’m not sure how much of it you have actually done. But yes, it takes a lot of land.

I think you would be very happy with a stand & feeder. You could have that right now, with more than the 40 acres you mentioned, with a decent lease. No, you prolly couldn’t stalk around shootin all the time, but you could have nice deer, hogs, & maybe exotics.

The best thing about a good stand is a Mr Buddy heater & a comfy chair. Take some coffee & snacks.

Leasing private property for hunting rights is enjoyed like that by people in TX every year. It’s a lifestyle for most hunters.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 10:23 AM

I bought my place over 35 years ago for somewhere around $325 per acre. It's only 133 acres, just south of Bowie, and about an hour and 15 minutes from my home in Hurst. It was a big investment that I wasn't sure I could afford or even make the payments on with 3 kids. Unimproved would be an understatement. It's all trees and rocks with washed out roads that I've added and good for nothing but recreation. Over the years I've introduced a lot of kids to hunting; no charge. Some of those kids still show up and help the old goat fill feeders but only occasionally come to hunt. They sometimes bring their kids just to show them wildlife, go fishing, and a place without pavement. I encourage that.

So, where am I going with this? Buy your own place. You don't have to hunt big places to have fun. Find junk land. There's a lot of it out there West and NW of Fort Worth. Upgrade over time. I've added what I call my white trash trailer house, stock tank for fishing, had a well dug, bought a tractor and built a shade for it, shipping container to store 4 wheelers and tools, etc. It took many years to get to this point. We have only rarely taken trophy deer but hogs are always around. But, they're nocturnal and I'm not. It was our vacation place for many years because we couldn't afford to go anywhere else.

If leasing, it helps to show up and help the landowner fix fences.

Most landowners that I know don't want to lease their land. They prefer privacy and control over their property.

But, having a year round lease, with access, may not be a bad deal. I'm about to leave Hurst to work on a tractor and it's kinda warm outside for a 76 year old goat . Lessors don't have to worry about upkeep and repairs. And, then there are taxes, electric bills, plumbing problems, poachers, etc.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 12:58 PM

Spot & stalk is nice, I’m not sure how much of it you have actually done. But yes, it takes a lot of land.

I think you would be very happy with a stand & feeder. You could have that right now, with more than the 40 acres you mentioned, with a decent lease. No, you prolly couldn’t stalk around shootin all the time, but you could have nice deer, hogs, & maybe exotics.

The best thing about a good stand is a Mr Buddy heater & a comfy chair. Take some coffee & snacks.

Leasing private property for hunting rights is enjoyed like that by people in TX every year. It’s a lifestyle for most hunters.

Would be a great way to get my wife and daughters started. Even my 17 year old boy can not keep up with me on a stalk. We found a big bodied deer last year and could not close the distance well enough to tell if he was legal.

Hunting and fishing with little girls, the fun is over by 11AM. Be nice to have a stand and a heater, and an IPAD on standby to keep them occupied

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:25 PM

I love end of summer threads.... rofl

back cheers
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 01:45 PM

' Be nice to have a stand and a heater, and an IPAD on standby to keep them occupied'
Yes it is, here is my grandson's on Ipads in the stand and then after the batteries start going dead.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:02 PM

That was a fun read

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:07 PM

All due respect but OP seems surprised he can’t find a unicorn.

Not looking for a Unicorn jackwagon! Nor did i start this post for you guys to go after each other. We all enjoy hunting and the outdoors or we wouldn't be on this forum. Im just saying that a good, family friendly lease is not the easiest to find. I do go without to provide my boys the same outdoor opportunities i had. I lost 3 yrs of them growing up and i guess i am trying to make up for lost time. Sorry for choosing a different career path so you can have the freedom to voice your opinion.

Thanks to all of you members who gave me some good ideas on were to look. I appreciate it.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:14 PM

...and finding unicorns, bigfoot, and a black panther in Texas extremely difficult if not impossible....

Good luck finding a 250 acre $2,000 lease covered in deer, family friendly, with 24/7/365 access to run around the place like you own it....

Really? He was just agreeing it wasn't easy. Come on Snake.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:41 PM

fouzman, if you win the bid on a tract it gives you access to the tract for the year. It is up to you to put up stands, set up feeders, put in food plots if there are areas that can be done- everything you would normally do when getting on a new lease that isn't a turn key operation. If you don't screw up you should get a renewal notification for the next year. If you continue to not screw up you will probably have it for as long as you want it. I have had one of my timber company leases for about 12 years.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:41 PM

Interesting you deleted what else he said.... rock_on

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 02:58 PM

Brother, I only saw were he posted 1 time.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:23 PM

[

I was thinking a hundred acres might do before I posted, then I changed my mind because you can't spot and stalk a hundred acres. I have walked all the way around and through a thousand acre wma a couple times in a day after squirrels and cottontails.

Then I figured if i an sharing with other lessees they'd be po'd about me spreading my scent around trying to stalk something.

I probably won't own a thousand acre place in this lifetime, more likely retire on like 40. So that'll be a deer stand and a feeder if I am ever gonna see a deer i guess.

Public land is hit or miss. My first time deer hunting public land I saw a couple dozen trucks parked throughout the woods in a half hour walking. Hell with thst.

But if you are willing to walk a long way and bust a couple of draws you can have the rest to yourself. People are lazy, go where they won't. That has rewarded me in fishing and hunting.

You sound like a prime candidate for finding 100 - 500 acres to lease just for you & the family, lease the whole place, no other lease members.

Should fall somewhere between $1500 - $ 8,000 depending on all sorts of things,, then other than following TPWD regulations & LO rules do whatever you like.
They are out there, you have to put effort into finding them, for the most part leases don't come find you.

Many are non resident LO's, many folks moved to town for a job, medical facilities, grandkids and lease their places just to know someone 'looks after it' occasionally, maybe timber co land is a good fit for you.

Not all LO's have the same property rules, not all are just about the $.

LO's have no duty to lease to anyone for any price, most certainly won't lease to someone that has a poor attitude or thinks LO's are money hungry just looking to rip people off.

There is a difference between a deer lease and a hunting / recreational lease.

Deer leases are more focused & set up for deer hunting, sure many offer all legal game, varmints, predators, fishing, as long as none of those other activities interfere in any way with the main goal of deer hunting. Sometimes that includes some sort of restrictions for off season activities or access.
If something about the lease terms doesn't appeal to you, don't lease the property, real dang simple.

Just like duck & goose leases focus on ducks & geese and quail leases focus on quail. Folks on these leases don't want deer hunters messing up their hunting.
Dove leases generally are for days during or dove season only. They don't want deer hunters scouting, setting up blinds & filling feeders while they're trying to kill doves.

Hunting/recreational leases are not as focused on one species, generally more relaxed within the LO property rules.
Don't like them, don't lease it, simple.

All your 'hard earned money' for lease payment doesn't come close to covering what I spent on pipe & rock for an entrance that washed out & partially collapsed last spring.
Much less any other costs associated with normal land / rural property maintenance, repair & improvement.

If you owned 250 acres within 3 hours of a major city how much would you charge strangers to lease it?
What would your property rules be?

I said it before in one of your other threads, your attitude & the things you post have already excluded you from thousands of acres of opportunities.
That number goes up every time you get agitated & spout off more nonsense about LO's, property rules, lease costs and the commonly accepted methods of deer hunting in this state.

In other words every time you complain about or belittle folks about hunting in Tx you make finding a lease much more difficult instead of easier.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 03:55 PM

I have to wonder how many of those who seem to brag about buying land, actually bought enough to support the number of deer they plan to take off it. Makes you wonder if they're not the same ones who are so quick to defend hunting fence lines. After all, how many deer can live and thrive on 10 acres.

Yep. For me, what I pay annually for my lease on 6,000 acres would likely not pay for 50 acres of land over the course of @ 20 years. I like to play golf too but I'm not going to buy a golf course. smile

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:16 PM

Maybe there should be a blanket easement across all of the rural areas of Texas that allow the residents to harvest the animals since the wildlife doesn't belong to said property owner?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:28 PM

Maybe there should be a blanket easement across all of the rural areas of Texas that allow the residents to harvest the animals since the wildlife doesn't belong to said property owner?

Sounds great. So I can come over to your place anytime I want also, right? I’ll be on the couch.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:46 PM

I'm trying to convince my friend to go halves on 9 acres. He won't because the asking price is $100,000. The reason for the high price? It controls access to about 5000 acres of Skyline WMA.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 04:53 PM

This idea may gain more traction in the Socialist forum. Wait, we don't have a socialist forum. hammer
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 05:03 PM

I think it’s just simple “math/finance”, buy 50 acres at $2000, not a very big deer lease. $100,000.00 debt. If you stuck the same money in a very conservative mutual fund, get 6% interest. $6000 buys a good lease with money left over.
If you buy land because of personal reasons; that’s different.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 05:52 PM

Technically you own the wild life at Area 51, Yellowstone, big bend etc. happy hunting

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rustler
[

You sound like a prime candidate for finding 100 - 500 acres to lease just for you & the family, lease the whole place, no other lease members.

Should fall somewhere between $1500 - $ 8,000 depending on all sorts of things,, then other than following TPWD regulations & LO rules do whatever you like.
They are out there, you have to put effort into finding them, for the most part leases don't come find you.

Many are non resident LO's, many folks moved to town for a job, medical facilities, grandkids and lease their places just to know someone 'looks after it' occasionally, maybe timber co land is a good fit for you.

Not all LO's have the same property rules, not all are just about the $.

LO's have no duty to lease to anyone for any price, most certainly won't lease to someone that has a poor attitude or thinks LO's are money hungry just looking to rip people off.

There is a difference between a deer lease and a hunting / recreational lease.

Deer leases are more focused & set up for deer hunting, sure many offer all legal game, varmints, predators, fishing, as long as none of those other activities interfere in any way with the main goal of deer hunting. Sometimes that includes some sort of restrictions for off season activities or access.
If something about the lease terms doesn't appeal to you, don't lease the property, real dang simple.

Just like duck & goose leases focus on ducks & geese and quail leases focus on quail. Folks on these leases don't want deer hunters messing up their hunting.
Dove leases generally are for days during or dove season only. They don't want deer hunters scouting, setting up blinds & filling feeders while they're trying to kill doves.

Hunting/recreational leases are not as focused on one species, generally more relaxed within the LO property rules.
Don't like them, don't lease it, simple.

All your 'hard earned money' for lease payment doesn't come close to covering what I spent on pipe & rock for an entrance that washed out & partially collapsed last spring.
Much less any other costs associated with normal land / rural property maintenance, repair & improvement.

If you owned 250 acres within 3 hours of a major city how much would you charge strangers to lease it?

I said it before in one of your other threads, your attitude & the things you post have already excluded you from thousands of acres of opportunities.
That number goes up every time you get agitated & spout off more nonsense about LO's, property rules, lease costs and the commonly accepted methods of deer hunting in this state.

In other words every time you complain about or belittle folks about hunting in Tx you make finding a lease much more difficult instead of easi

Well at least this time you offered some advice.

Thanks, kind of.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

This idea may gain more traction in the Socialist forum. Wait, we don't have a socialist forum. hammer

Easement is a horrible idea.

This is like that deal in Dallas, where you can steal up to $700 worth of "essential items" or some nonsense, and the police can't arrest you.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 07:54 PM

After reading some of these comments there is no doubt Texas will be a blue state very soon! No way can some of y'all claim to be conservative yet have the views that you have. Good grief!!!!!
Posted By: don k

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 08:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Lease prices are what they are. One leaser would not even pay the cost of what this is going to cost me.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 08:05 PM

The bar ditches are hunted quite a bit. clap

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
After reading some of these comments there is no doubt Texas will be a blue state very soon! No way can some of y'all claim to be conservative yet have the views that you have. Good grief!!!!!

Been to Dallas or Austin lately?

I would be surprised if it's not a blue state this year.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 08:36 PM

In other words every time you complain about or belittle folks about hunting in Tx you make finding a lease much more difficult instead of easier.

^^^^^ Amen.

He will darn sure never be on mine.

Sounds like someone that moved to Texas and just doesn't know how things work, but plenty willing to complain.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 08:57 PM

Time for a new hobby...

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 09:03 PM

Thanks, kind of.

I've tried to help in most if not all of my responses to you, nothing I can do about it if you see it a different way.

Urban sprawl, housing subdivisions being built on what not long ago were large parcels many were hunting grounds, larger properties being subdivided into 5 - 40 acre tracts & sold, LO's no longer interested in the hassles of dealing with an alarming amount of 'hunters' with entitled attitudes that flat out ignore rules specifically stated in a contract they sign.
All take large chunk of acreage out of the statewide lease pool every year and it has been going on for many years.

Less acreage available to lease every year, same or more hunters every year, everything else in your life and LO's life increases in cost every year, everything you own requires maintenance somebody has to do it & pay for it.
But mean old LO's that just want to rip off hunters are the problem...

BS.

Ive asked the same questions a dozen times, nothing but crickets.

Posted By: bphillips

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 09:06 PM

We lease out our place for a good price that isn't too cheap but isn't gouging either. Good thing about that is we get to be extremely picky and never have to deal with whiney folks because of it. We need some help with something they have no issue helping instead of feeling entitled or mistreated also. Even better don't actually need the money so its no issue to just take it off the market and keep it to family only if issues come up

Want to whine about it there is lots of public land in Texas that can be hunted cheap and there are tons of ranches for sale you can go buy yourself.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 09:28 PM

a lot of landowners don’t want anyone hunting their land for any price, mostly because they might run into someone like you

I sit under this umbrella. I have a small place but it's still a ton of work keeping it up. I have thought about leasing to one guy and would be wide open to him taking his kid/s along. The fear/hassle of dealing with someone who leases but thinks they own and has no respect for the place has prevented it. Shame really cause there's lots of good blue collar folks who really can't afford a lot of leases asking price. I'm one of em. If my wife and I hadn't decided get this place from Mom at a great price, I wouldn't be a hunter.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 10:01 PM

Thanks, kind of.

I've tried to help in most if not all of my responses to you, nothing I can do about it if you see it a different way.

Urban sprawl, housing subdivisions being built on what not long ago were large parcels many were hunting grounds, larger properties being subdivided into 5 - 40 acre tracts & sold, LO's no longer interested in the hassles of dealing with an alarming amount of 'hunters' with entitled attitudes that flat out ignore rules specifically stated in a contract they sign.
All take large chunk of acreage out of the statewide lease pool every year and it has been going on for many years.

Less acreage available to lease every year, same or more hunters every year, everything else in your life and LO's life increases in cost every year, everything you own requires maintenance somebody has to do it & pay for it.
But mean old LO's that just want to rip off hunters are the problem...

BS.

Ive asked the same questions a dozen times, nothing but crickets.

Very specifically, my attitude has nothing to do with your terms or what you consider fair terms and I have long since econceded the point.

My attitude is derived directly from yours.

Looks like you're just having too much fun with me to stop. If your place was the last place one could hunt in the world, I'd just quit. That's how much I cant stand you.

Happy hunting
Posted By: decook

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by bphillips
We lease out our place for a good price that isn't too cheap but isn't gouging either. Good thing about that is we get to be extremely picky and never have to deal with whiney folks because of it. We need some help with something they have no issue helping instead of feeling entitled or mistreated also. Even better don't actually need the money so its no issue to just take it off the market and keep it to family only if issues come up

This is exactly how it ought to be. I've never been a landowner, so I was the helper on the leases I have been a part of, and always glad to do that when help was needed.

Want to whine about it there is lots of public land in Texas that can be hunted cheap and there are tons of ranches for sale you can go buy yourself.

At face value, this is essentially correct. But not everyone is in a position to buy. I hunt public.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/23/19 11:58 PM

laid over - AKA Bryan - I have no dog in this fight but you have stated on multiple occasions ( to yourself) that maybe you should just go to bed - your attitude started at the very beginning of this thread - my only suggestion to you is to take your own advice and go to bed -

Then wake up the next morning and focus all this energy on finding the place of your dreams to go hunt on (whatever that may be) - debating on this forum is not helping you reach your hunting goal - just my opinion

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:05 AM

If your place was the last place one could hunt in the world, I'd just quit. That's how much I cant stand you.

Uh...Ohhh........!

Did someone just get Butt-Hurt ? wink

Attached picture butt-hurt-report.jpg

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:19 AM

I've long since gone to bed and got up.

My first post in this thread wasnt an attitude, i was stating a fact. The OP can expect to see prices continue to climb based on those facts.

Absolutely you should increase your price, inflation affects everything and everybody. The land you lease is worth what you can get.

Get what you can get! As sure as a landowner willing to lease is gonna see what he can get and be choosy about his tenants/lessees, a hunter is gonna see what he can get too.

You ought not to blast a hunter for trying to see what he can get.
Posted By: Big8

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:28 AM

There is part of this I have enjoyed and part that was ridiculous, what I take away is I am so thankful for the most recent lease I have of 7 years, we hunt 500 acres between 3 of us and I have been able to put my daughter on 3 nice bucks (120) class deer. We have enjoyed our time in a box blind and it gave us an opportunity where I can give her advise on aging deer that you probably don’t get on a Public hunt. I have experience hunting Public land and won’t do it again unless absolutely necessary but would not bring a young child with me. I always look for other ways on my lease to make a difference, fixing fence, tree removal, or just reporting cattle issues. This has gone a long way for us to keep our lease because the LO appreciates our efforts. I understand it can be hard to find the right fit for a family lease but they are out there, my kids have hunted with me through the years on multiple leases so it can be done but we have done it being respectful of other hunters and the LO.

Maximus I have not agreed with you in the past but most of what you posted made sense to me.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:29 AM

My first post in this thread wasnt an attitude, i was stating a fact. The OP can expect to see prices continue to climb based on those facts.

Absolutely you should increase your price, inflation affects everything and everybody. The land you lease is worth what you can get.

Get what you can get! As sure as a landowner willing to lease is gonna see what he can get and be choosy about his tenants/lessees, a hunter is gonna see what he can get too.

Twas more opinion than fact....but that's Jes my opinion.... cheers

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:31 AM

Twas more opinion than fact....but that's Jes my opinion.... cheers

cheers you prolly rite

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:34 AM

[quote=laid over]I've long since gone to bed and got up.

I vote you go back to bed - give it up

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:41 AM

Furthermore I agree that landowners have no obligation to lease cheap or even at all. And property taxes in/near DFW are bananas.

If I owned a piece of property near Dallas I'd try to at least get back my property taxes in a lease. My aunt's 2.5 acres is costing her 20,000 a year in taxes.

Flip side of that- a buddy of mine in Oklahoma paid less than $1,000/acre for 46 acres in real nice place in Oklahoma with less than $30 a year property tax.

I never thought about leasing from one of those lumber places. I have seen a lot of nice deer out there around Camden and etc. What a great idea.

I wish all you mofos the best, I hope you hunters can find what you're looking for and I hope you LO's can find good tenants that pay top dollar.

I wasted enough my life in this thread. Goodnite!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by tlk
[quote=laid over]I've long since gone to bed and got up.

I vote you go back to bed - give it up

You realize it is stuff like this that keeps me coming back. You are probably the one with the kids 12 and up only, 100 acre lease for a bajillion dollars.

Edit- still i wish you the best with that. Nite smile

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 12:47 AM

Ok let me work this out for you

1970s - I am in high school in Taylor Texas (central Texas). My Dad was on a lease near Lampasas for years that I grew up hunting on. Couple thousand acres - cost him and his group around $100 bucks per gun.

1980s - I move back to hill country. I am a broke school teacher/coach making $11,900 per year. I shell out $200 bucks for a lease near Jonestown (nameless road) - think it was around 200 acres and 3 of us on it. Slept on the ground and cooked on a Coleman stove. Could not believe I paid $200 for that place but it was worth it to me at the time. I adapted what I could get to what I could pay.

Now on a top end South Texas lease paying lots of money. Why??? Because I can.

Moral is - prices for EVERYTHING go up EVERY YEAR. It is called inflation.

Here is a short lesson in economics. We live in the USA and what is known as a FREE MARKET. That means a willing seller and a willing buyer will reach a price and THAT sets the market price for others (it is called FAIR MARKET PRICE).

IF YOU cannot afford the price for what the seller is asking then you either walk away or you lower your standards. Want a new truck that is tricked out but you cannot afford it?? Then take some of the extras off and get the price down to where you CAN AFFORD it. Pretty basic stuff. So complaining about how the world really works is useless. I am out

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 01:06 AM

Very specifically, my attitude has nothing to do with your terms or what you consider fair terms and I have long since econceded the point.

My attitude is derived directly from yours.

Looks like you're just having too much fun with me to stop. If your place was the last place one could hunt in the world, I'd just quit. That's how much I cant stand you.

Happy hunting

You might have me confused with someone else you've had 'words' with.

Hope you find a place that fits what you're looking for.
Good luck.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:05 AM

tlk wrote:

1970s - I am in high school in Taylor Texas (central Texas). My Dad was on a lease near Lampasas for years that I grew up hunting on. Couple thousand acres - cost him and his group around $100 bucks per gun.

Go Ducks! I was in high school (Austin) about the same time (early 70's). Never had a Deer Lease because we've always owned property, but Deer Leases back then were certainly more reasonable. Still hard to find good one's...not because of the pricing but because in those days, leases were very often held by families/groups for many, many years. Land Owners and the persons leasing had good relations. The use of the property was still thought of as a privilege and it was not unusual for folks to have a lease for decades ..many places in Central Texas. South Texas a bit different. East Texas (except for Timber Co. land) basically had no concept of leasing (for any purpose) back then.

1980s - I move back to hill country. I am a broke school teacher/coach making $11,900 per year. I shell out $200 bucks for a lease near Jonestown (nameless road) - think it was around 200 acres and 3 of us on it. Slept on the ground and cooked on a Coleman stove. Could not believe I paid $200 for that place but it was worth it to me at the time. I adapted what I could get to what I could pay.

Yes, that area (all grown up now) was good for trapping. It certainly had deer in good density (as most areas around the Lake) but I'm sure you remember how small Hill Country Deer are. Rough area to camp in. Grover Simpson would have been the Game Warden in that area (until his death in 1985). Super Guy. Small leases like that were still a fun place to go and available with a little searching. But those days are gone. There is still untouched land farther out 1431 (past Jonestown/Lago Vista) toward Marble Falls....but everything from Austin out to Lake Travis is all built up now.

So...as with any Metroplex these days...urban sprawl has transformed the places we used to hunt into housing. No doubt, it is tougher to find a decent place to hunt. I am grateful we've always owned land to hunt and/or live on.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:06 AM

tlk, I couldn’t agree more. I could afford to hunt south Tx but I choose to hunt 20 minutes from the house and harvest mature 120 class deer in Lee county. We are also on MLD 1 and take does so my freezer is always full so everybody has the option to hunt where they please depending on their finances, it’s all about living within your means or making a choice to hunt where it is convenient for you. I have a daughter in college and one younger so it make sense to keep the place I have, one day I might pay $6-8,000 for a place in South Tx to take a 160 class deer but this is not the time. I more enjoy the campfire and drinks/food and keeping the pigs and coyotes in check. For me it’s all about getting away, so if that cost me a few thousand is well worth it.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Big8
tlk, I couldn’t agree more. I could afford to hunt south Tx but I choose to hunt 20 minutes from the house and harvest mature 120 class deer in Lee county. We are also on MLD 1 and take does so my freezer is always full so everybody has the option to hunt where they please depending on their finances, it’s all about living within your means or making a choice to hunt where it is convenient for you. I have a daughter in college and one younger so it make sense to keep the place I have, one day I might pay $6-8,000 for a place in South Tx to take a 160 class deer but this is not the time. I more enjoy the campfire and drinks/food and keeping the pigs and coyotes in check. For me it’s all about getting away, so if that cost me a few thousand is well worth it.

Good to hear there are decent Deer in Lee County these days. In the past....60's-70's it was pretty much a novelty to see deer (or sign) East of I35 from about Manor out to Lexington or even to the South of the County. Friend of our family had a large cattle ranch out in Lexington (out in the sand, folks called that area). Good for cows and coyotes, but no deer and certainly no pigs back then.

Like you....I choose to hunt and enjoy my own property or that of my FIL's (not far away) rather than travel. My Daughter has been out of school for 10 yrs. now (RN, travel nursing) and I am retired. Content to hunt right here at home...though I have access to 6,000 acres in Del Rio.

Time spent with family enjoying the outdoors is what is important to me.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:41 AM

We hunt Yegua creek bottom and it’s not uncommon to see 12-18 different deer in one sitting, things have really changed since antler restrictions have been implemented. I know not everyone agrees with the restrictions but where I hunt it has made a huge improvement.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 03:02 AM

I got to this party late and now im too tired to give it any justice but ill scattershoot a few comments.
Someone asked if laidover had another name, and yes he apparently changed his forum name(imagine that.)
Rustler had some very good pointed comments for laidover that bare rereading.
Maximus kind of got a little perturbed but he was right on with most of his stuff, IMO.
Im not a very big LO but I respect them immensely and I pay their price or I don't, but I don't complain.
tlk and Big8 are great examples of what this thread has kind of come to-- tlk pays big money and is very happy and Big8 apparently does not and he too is very happy. Most reasonable people make those kind of choices on a regular basis and all is good.
Beyond that, all the comments about the free market system should make the meat of the matter clear so anyone that still complains should probably be ignored.
ps- I have no idea who the OP was but I feel for you.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 03:24 AM

What else did I say? I only posted one time on this thread and everything I said is quoted above. Maybe you confused me with Txtrophy85.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
I got to this party late and now im too tired to give it any justice but ill scattershoot a few comments.
Someone asked if laidover had another name, and yes he apparently changed his forum name(imagine that.)
Rustler had some very good pointed comments for laidover that bare rereading.
Maximus kind of got a little perturbed but he was right on with most of his stuff, IMO.
Im not a very big LO but I respect them immensely and I pay their price or I don't, but I don't complain.
tlk and Big8 are great examples of what this thread has kind of come to-- tlk pays big money and is very happy and Big8 apparently does not and he too is very happy. Most reasonable people make those kind of choices on a regular basis and all is good.
Beyond that, all the comments about the free market system should make the meat of the matter clear so anyone that still complains should probably be ignored.
ps- I have no idea who the OP was but I feel for you.

laid over = regular guy 11B

Like I said before, if you're gonna lease your land you ought yo get what you can and Amen to that, yep it's a privilege when someone lets you use their land for anything at any price.

But don't get mad when a hunter is trying to take his dollar as far as he can.

I imagine a hunter that tells you exactly what you want to hear is about like a used car salesman and you should be weary.

But a guy asking for as much as he can, you can temper his expectations and teach him alot more without insulting the bastard. I been there.

The OP needs to check out the public hunting near DFW. For what he can find at the prices he quoted, he'd be way better as would anybody. But people don't know any better.

There are good sized chunks of public land you could have pretty much to yourself within a hour to a hour and a half of DFW and I know cause I been there and damn near fell in a cave and died exploring one night.

Caught a mess of crappie out of one place too oh yes. Every cast with a beetle spin.

But you gotta get up off your kiester and hunt your tail off for a place to hunt!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 02:51 PM

I'll give you a good hint though, take I45 to 287 an head East.

The farther you are willing to drive, the bigger and better the opportunities for public land will become.

But the bigger places are gonna require more time and effort to explore.

If you are man enough to bust a thick draw, East Texas is your oyster. But if you are lazy like most are you are not gonna find anything else but litter.

I call 287 the hunter's highway.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
' Be nice to have a stand and a heater, and an IPAD on standby to keep them occupied'
Yes it is, here is my grandson's on Ipads in the stand and then after the batteries start going dead.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Greatness

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/24/19 10:07 PM

What else did I say? I only posted one time on this thread and everything I said is quoted above. Maybe you confused me with Txtrophy85.

You're right...my bad...apologies... cheers

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/25/19 01:01 AM

You're right...my bad...apologies... cheers

up
Posted By: WreakinHavoc

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/26/19 12:55 PM

You're obviously are to picky and didn't look hard enough.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...annual-deer-leases-few-spots#Post7585652
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/26/19 02:08 PM

Yep, formerly regularguy11B

Why?

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/26/19 02:53 PM

Laid Out- Why would you change your handle & comeback being a jerk still?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/26/19 03:17 PM

Does this subject still need to be discussed? popcorn
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 04:50 AM

This is like a 40 year old virgin telling Ron Jeremy how to bang chicks.

roflmao Great thread. One liners galore.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 04:59 AM

My thoughts....I own a piece of property and I wouldn't lease it out for $100 an acre, it would take $200 an acre for me to even consider it. It takes a special person to lease out their land that is probably worth 100x or more what most people are willing to pay. I've had several people ask me to lease it out to run cows for 6 months out of the year and I told them no, because I don't want the hassle or have to worry about who has access to it.

IMO deer leases are too cheap compared to the cost of land and upkeep. Every deer lease is a bargain compared to buying....
Posted By: don k

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by DocHorton
My thoughts....I own a piece of property and I wouldn't lease it out for $100 an acre, it would take $200 an acre for me to even consider it. It takes a special person to lease out their land that is probably worth 100x or more what most people are willing to pay. I've had several people ask me to lease it out to run cows for 6 months out of the year and I told them no, because I don't want the hassle or have to worry about who has access to it.

IMO deer leases are too cheap compared to the cost of land and upkeep. Every deer lease is a bargain compared to buying....

Very true

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 04:56 PM

You bought your property recently for investment/recreational purposes so it isn't in the same category as land that is leased. Land that is leased for most deer leases has been in the family for generations and was used primarily for cattle. Many didnt even have deer 30 years ago. You can only stare at mesquite so long so might as well make some extra bucks off of it and not sell it. All the LO by us have regular jobs so it's not paying their bills as it doesn't need to. Probably pays for their vehicles and vacations. They could sell and have a few million but that is not their goal or everyone would sell. Not much to do with a million in a small town anyway as you sold your land so what now? Look at the bank account all day?? Some people are not obsessed with money and buying the most expensive new stuff all the time.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 05:02 PM

I’ll admit these are pretty good

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 05:22 PM

Yes, they are pretty good

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I’ll admit these are pretty good

More than good. Some of the finest backhands I've seen in recent years. MF cracks me up.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 09:57 PM

Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 10:07 PM

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 10:08 PM

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 10:30 PM

Bryan ----- your best post yet!

Re: Lease Prices going up - 08/31/19 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

+1

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 02:16 AM

Ive heard some people say that they should lease out all the public land in Texas, via auction online.

They claim that public land hunters are basically getting a free deer lease. Well, not free, tax payers are paying for it, kinda like welfare.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 02:30 AM

We own a few places, nothing spectacular

It would take more than a ridiculous amount to lease any of them for hunting

Actually, add 100 percent to ridiculous and I’d consider it...maybe

Like I said earlier, buy your own place

Work hard, smart, save up, do without and get back with me...

Maybe then you would cut someone a deal on hunting rights
Posted By: freerange

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by tlk

+1

+2
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 12:50 PM

Nothing much to add here. If you think leasing is expensive, try buying your own land. Not an easy task, then pay the taxes. Talk about a wake up call. That's all I have to add.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 03:34 PM

Ive heard some people say that they should lease out all the public land in Texas, via auction online.

They claim that public land hunters are basically getting a free deer lease. Well, not free, tax payers are paying for it, kinda like welfare.

So you associate public land with welfare. That explains a lot.

The public hunting isn't free, you do pay for it but not much. And most public hunting land isn't a place to just hunt. It's a place to camp, fish, probably ultimate frisbee, cookouts, birthday parties, etc.

If you are really gonna call it out like welfare, then I guess public fishing is the same? You think everybody wants to fish should buy land, build a tank, and stock it? Or lease...

And hunting should be in a stand in front of a feeder so as not to disturb the rest of the hunters you are making money off of.

Whole lot of landowners around here doing everything they can to drive the price up.

And a lot of hunters in this forum drinking the kool-aid.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05
We own a few places, nothing spectacular

It would take more than a ridiculous amount to lease any of them for hunting

Actually, add 100 percent to ridiculous and I’d consider it...maybe

Like I said earlier, buy your own place

Work hard, smart, save up, do without and get back with me...

Maybe then you would cut someone a deal on hunting rights

Hunting priviledges. For the right tennant.

And yeah, that is the plan.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 04:16 PM

I guess the Game Warden and other law enforcemenr that helps deal with poachers, paid for by taxes, is kind of like welfare too? See how well your management plan works out when the only person protecting wildlife on your property is you and the security you could pay for.

You're just a greedy old man and a internet bully. I bet your kids turned out great.

Thankful to finally see you for what you really are.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 05:22 PM

The public hunting isn't free, you do pay for it but not much. And most public hunting land isn't a place to just hunt. It's a place to camp, fish, probably ultimate frisbee, cookouts, birthday parties, etc.

If you are really gonna call it out like welfare, then I guess public fishing is the same? You think everybody wants to fish should buy land, build a tank, and stock it? Or lease...

And hunting should be in a stand in front of a feeder so as not to disturb the rest of the hunters you are making money off of.

Whole lot of landowners around here doing everything they can to drive the price up.

I guess the Game Warden and other law enforcemenr that helps deal with poachers, paid for by taxes, is kind of like welfare too? See how well your management plan works out when the only person protecting wildlife on your property is you and the security you could pay for.

You're just a greedy old man and a internet bully. I bet your kids turned out great.

LOL. Why you mad, brah? I didn’t say I thought any of that, just that some people have said that.

I hope it’s ok with you if some people have a different opinion.

For someone who doesn’t really hunt or know anything, you sure are an expert.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 05:44 PM

LOL. Why you mad, brah? I didn’t say I thought any of that, just that some people have said that.

I hope it’s ok with you if some people have a different opinion.

For someone who doesn’t really hunt or know anything, you sure are an expert.

But your kids turned out okay, right?
roflmao

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw
But your kids turned out okay, right?
roflmao

All the ones I know about. eek

What kind of a prick brings someone else’s kids into their argument?

Laid Out is not from here, never had a lease, doesn’t own any land, but shows up & is an expert on Texas deer hunting, lease prices & land ownership. That’s really what’s wrong with the internet, the most ignorant people can be an expert.

Not only is Laid Out an expert on things he’s never done, he’s also an expert on things he’ll never do.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 07:10 PM

Born and raised in Texas.

Keep doing your damned best to shut this thread down. I know its bad for business.

It's like a land owners mafia on here trying to screw people over. You are pathetic Maximus.

You're like Yosemite Sam on here, jumping up and down and mad as a hornet, can't stand to be even questioned and forget about challenged.

I bet you have dreams about being a wealthy landowner in the middle ages and screwing people over to build your wealth.

Have fun with that.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 07:22 PM

Every time a new hunter comes to this forum, and asks questions that challenge the "status quo" you and those like you just bully them until they go away. It's like being in grade school. You're like a bunch if damn kids

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 07:23 PM

Thats why theres the same like two dozen people that have been running the show on here for years and years.

Well, I ain't going nowhere

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 07:44 PM

Maximus = bad for hunting in Texas.

That is a fact.

Bad for hunters, chasing off would be new hunters as well as bad for landowners. You give landowners a bad name.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:07 PM

Every time a new hunter comes to this forum, and insults everyone; calling deer hunters dumb & landowners crooked......

Fixed it for ya

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:17 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:28 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:35 PM

Jeez, whata cluster flop.

There are all types of leases.
Different LO's have different rules, from dang near none to fairly restrictive.

There is something ( a lease ) out there for everyone, from inexpensive/reasonable to high dollar.
If you really wanted one you'd act like it & actually do something to find it.

Use a quarter mile wide brush to paint all LO's & all leases the same. Shows you have very little experience.

If you won't / can't answer those you've got no room to complain. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada.

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:45 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:48 PM

Back at ya

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 08:59 PM

Although they take most of what I have said completely out of context, Maximus, you do a damn fine meme.

cheers

Re: Lease Prices going up - 09/01/19 09:09 PM

Jeez, whata cluster flop.

There are all types of leases.
Different LO's have different rules, from dang near none to fairly restrictive.

There is something ( a lease ) out there for everyone, from inexpensive/reasonable to high dollar.
If you really wanted one you'd act like it & actually do something to find it.

Use a quarter mile wide brush to paint all LO's & all leases the same. Shows you have very little experience.

If you won't / can't answer those you've got no room to complain. None, zero, zip, zilch, nada.

That is the thing, landowners are not greedy and deer leases shouldnt be free.

But because I fired back at one who is, and happens to be the biggest bully on the forum, here you come like it's aboutyou.

It's not!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum