Texas Hunting Forum

Ranch break in (Lampasas County)

Posted By: Capt.JVH

Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 01:06 PM

Hey guys, I showed up to my place between Lometa and Adamsville Thursday afternoon to find what I had been afraid of finding at some point. Some low life busted in and hit us pretty good. They even managed to get into my liberty gun safe with nothing but a sawzall, pick axe and screwdriver which they took out of my workshop. 8 guns, crossbow, night vision, kill lights, optics, chainsaws, trail cams..... and the list is still growing as I keep going through the mess.

I have good insurance thankfully but I was hoping everyone could keep an eye out for my Bill Middlebrook knife with a Alligator Sheath and my custom alligator rifle slings. 2 were stolen

Dink Dodger made them for me out of a gator I shot a few years ago.

The guy that hit the safe new exactly how to get in. I don't want to post pics of it because it will show exactly how to get into a Liberty safe. I think whomever did it was a pro. No wrong cuts. It was crazy.

Anyway, please keep an eye out for my gator slings and knife. And here is a list of the guns taken in case you see someone trying to sell them on the cheap.

Armalite AR-10 in .243 w/leupold scope
Browning BLR .300wsm w/ leupold scope
browning BLR .223 w/leupold scope
ruger mini 14 stainless w/ silver leupold scope
ruger no. 1 .22 K hornet w/ leupold scope
savage 110 LH .270
browning bps 10 ga. camo
browning bps 12 ga. upland special

Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 01:44 PM

I can feel your pain.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 02:43 PM

That is bad. A lot of bad guys working the rural locations.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 03:31 PM

Sorry to hear that...I can empathize on a smaller scale given my recent experience. Hope you get some of your stuff back — I’ll kedp an eye out
Posted By: Don Coyote Hunter

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 03:43 PM

Sorry to hear hopefully you had serial numbers. Growing up in the country I had that fear every time I came home. Really curious about how they got in the safe though.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 06:23 PM

That sucks. I think you can just cut the side off and are in. It's on youtube. You should never leave anything of value outside of your home. They know when someone is not there. Everyone I know who owns their places have learned the same hard lesson as well.

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 06:27 PM

I had serial numbers for the guns thankfully. And if anyone wants to see it I will gladly text pics. I have already emailed them to a few folks that have asked. just pm me a phone number. I just don't think it is right posting them on a public forum.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 06:33 PM

Man I hate to hear that....my uncles ranch is between Adamsville and Lometa. Hope you get lucky and get them back.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 09:40 PM

Scumbag thieves. Hope you get your stuff back.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 10:35 PM

I leave trail cameras out at my mobile home on our lease - not sure if it would help catch a thief but at lease gives you a chance if someone breaks in
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/22/18 11:24 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope they catch the “Dirt Bags” that are responsible.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 01:51 AM

Dang man that sucks hope the thieves get caught and you get your stuff back.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 02:13 AM

Check the next gun show in your area!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 06:50 AM

I’m so sorry that happened. I hope they catch him/them and you get your stuff back
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 10:48 AM

Frickin Dirt Bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 03:15 PM

Big bummer, hope they catch those POS and whip hanged rifle when they do.
Hope you at least get the sentimental stuff back up
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 03:39 PM

I guess that I am showing my naivety, but you make it sound so simple to get into the safe!
Makes me want to rethink what I was planning since I moved.

If you have a moment, I would love to learn how better to protect at home and in my shop.

Marc Kurth
Cedar Creek Lake, TX
marc@centexbatteries.com
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 06:09 PM

Just shameless.

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 06:52 PM

Marc, I texted you the pics. I also have responded to all other requests for pics.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc K
I guess that I am showing my naivety, but you make it sound so simple to get into the safe!
Makes me want to rethink what I was planning since I moved.

If you have a moment, I would love to learn how better to protect at home and in my shop.

Marc Kurth
Cedar Creek Lake, TX
marc@centexbatteries.com

A safe is just like any other lock. It only keeps the honest people out. No matter how well built any lock is, anyone that is determined enough can get in. Especially if there are power tools available.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 08:12 PM

I'd certainly send pics of the safe to liberty.

I sure hate that you've been robbed.

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 08:43 PM

I have already been in contact with Liberty. They sent me the paperwork to fill out for a new safe. We will see how that goes. Its a nice gesture but my insurance is doing the same thing and I will be paying the deductible regardless of who pays for the new safe.

At the end of the day I guess if a man made it, a man can break it. Lesson learned.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/23/18 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH
I have already been in contact with Liberty. They sent me the paperwork to fill out for a new safe. We will see how that goes. Its a nice gesture but my insurance is doing the same thing and I will be paying the deductible regardless of who pays for the new safe.

At the end of the day I guess if a man made it, a man can break it. Lesson learned.

Most safes are fairly easy to get into with the right tools. Some way more expensive safes have a stainless steel insert inside the wall to prevent people from getting in with sawzall or even a torch. Most thieves wouldn’t have the know how or tools to get into a safe and that’s what they are for.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/24/18 05:36 AM

I know your pain. Been there. hanged

It would not be good for me to sit on a jury for these kind of people. I have paid the insurance deductible too.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/24/18 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: Capt.JVH

Most safes are fairly easy to get into with the right tools. Some way more expensive safes have a stainless steel insert inside the wall to prevent people from getting in with sawzall or even a torch. Most thieves wouldn’t have the know how or tools to get into a safe and that’s what they are for.

Go to YouTube and watch a Liberty safe being broke into... Hope they fixed that.
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/24/18 08:20 PM

I have a liberty safe. I thought my stuff inside was safe. Guess I was wrong. Nothing in this life is certain but death and taxes, sadly.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/24/18 08:21 PM

I know I would be in jail if I ever saw someone stealing, missed catching the low lifes that hit our place years ago, my wife heirloom jewelry, plus all my stuff which was replaced

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 12:45 AM

Update- they stopped the guys yesterday in Alvarado. They detained one for no ID and let the other one go for some reason..... They had some of my stolen gear with them, serial number matched up to a leupold scope. They now have a warrant out for the other guy since he's linked. Less than a week out from the break in so hopefully they can find more stuff. But they have obviously been parting out the guns. So that does not look good from my point of view. They found my night vision bag.... empty as well..

All I can say is be a packrat like me and save and document everything. I save scope boxes and warranty registrations. That is how this got linked.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 01:03 AM

Glad to hear they caught them, a good detective will find out where all the property is. Time to pull the shades down in the interview room and have a time to come to Jesus moment for the crook!

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 01:14 AM

I have nothing but great things to say so far about Lampasas county. I am ex law enforcement myself. I know when someone is trying. They are a great police force.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 01:24 AM

That is great news they caught them. Keeps someone else from having this happen.

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 01:28 AM

I agree. I have a greater piece of mind knowing they are caught than getting my things back. I routinely leave my kids in that house while bow hunting. I had already decided that wouldn't happen again until they were behind bars. I can get new guns. My family.. not the same.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 01:54 AM

Great news hope they throw the book at the lowlife thieves and hopefully you get your stuff back.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 02:10 AM

Glad they caught these guys.
My FIL lost his house to a fire, the house and contents were completely destroyed, except the safe was intact, with the combo knob melted due to the heat. My metal worker took the top off the safe with a sawsall in about 10 minutes so my FIL could get his belongings, nothing was hurt inside. I took a look at my gun safe, no difference really.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 10:07 AM

Congratulations, glad you'll have some peace of mind. You mentioned they had parted out and sold some of the items. How were they selling? On their own, through a fence, etc?
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/25/18 11:47 AM

I have two of those and now you have me worried. Could you send me pics please? 940-452-4449
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 07/31/18 12:53 AM

Talked to one of the deputies/detectives today, he got several other places on the same highway but atleast they got caught. From what I understand
its not the first second third etc for them.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/01/18 08:55 PM

So sorry for your loss. Been a real concern for my place in Dickens county since I bought it and built my cabin!!. Locals are the most decent folks I have ever met!!!! Had my gate chain cut 2 years ago and my 16 ft tandem trailer stolen. Couldn't replace as I had 1000.00 deductible which was the cost of the trailer. Did not enter my cabin at the time. Have had some local break ins but so far not at my place. Don't keep anything of real value when not there however have clothing, TV, game cams and appliances. Have set up a couple hidden cameras if someone breaks in however not sure if Sheriff would do much with pictures unless they were locals and as I said haven't met a anyone who seemed dishonest!!!!!!!!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/02/18 01:05 PM

I was in the same boat last year at this time. There was a big theft ring bust in gatesville and they recovered over 100k in stolen items, mostly hunting camp items. We were hit hard and able to recover a good portion of it thankfully.. if I recall, they only arrested two people but thought the ring was much larger and spanned over 5 counties. Our property is is Evant so not far from you.
Posted By: majekman

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/02/18 02:06 PM

Thief....simple fix. Cut their dayum hand off.
Posted By: janie

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/02/18 02:58 PM

Glad they got caught, and hope all of your items are found and returned. The thieves can hang from the highest tree.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/02/18 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Thief....simple fix. Cut their dayum hand off.

You misspelled “head”.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/03/18 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By: janie
Glad they got caught, and hope all of your items are found and returned. The thieves can hang from the highest tree.

A slow death on a windy day in one of these infested with fire ants.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/03/18 10:54 AM

Were you able to get any of your stolen property back?
Posted By: TLew

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/03/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: onlysmith&wesson
Congratulations, glad you'll have some peace of mind. You mentioned they had parted out and sold some of the items. How were they selling? On their own, through a fence, etc?

Curious about this as well since I recently had an incident. I've been monitoring a few spots, but I'd be interested in how they were fencing them.

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/05/18 12:52 AM

Snake wrangler. The only things I got back so far were from that initial stop when they caught them. Last update I was given was that the one guy is still on the run. I'm not holding out hope at this point in regards for getting stuff back. As for how they were selling I don't know. The investigators would not say much. I just know they parted the AR out because they had the scope on them. I've been checking sales pages and other local pawnshops, etc. with no luck. I assume they have a fence out of town.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Ranch break in (Lampasas County) - 08/05/18 03:26 PM

Did you have alarm system on house ? Would that have even helped ? I know most alarm companies offer cameras now that we can monitor from our phones. Glad they got caught, you lost some very nice equipment, sorry t hear that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum