Texas Hunting Forum

Africa Hunters

Posted By: Hunt Dog

Africa Hunters - 07/17/18 03:08 PM

Have a question for any of you that have hunted Africa.

Friend of the Wife's and mine went on a trip to Africa with a Photo Safari as part.
He got back a week ago and he has been feeling like crap ever since he got back. All sorts of aches and pains, GI issues.
I know he had some shots before he left but not sure what they were.
He doesn't want to go to a Doctor. Everyone else tells him he needs to go.

Any of you have similar issues? If so, what were they. Any ideas on possible causes that I can tell him to get him to go get help?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/17/18 03:46 PM

Who knows what it is, but even an idiot knows that there are some BAD bugs over there, especially GI. Hell, he could have cholera. His arse needs to be at the doctor's yesterday.

I've never come home with anything, but the malaria meds have me given me the runs every time while on a hunt. That's not what this guy has. He could easily die if he's not treated. Scare him.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/17/18 07:05 PM

The malaria meds (Malarone) made me feel like I was on speed for the first few hours after I took them; really a nasty side effect if you want to shoot accurately.

I agree that the fellow is behaving foolishly in not seeing a doctor immediately. It's called the Third World for a reason.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/17/18 07:33 PM

I would call CDC on his azz. He could have something that could spread. Did he do any thing (or one) that he shouldn't have while he was over there?
Posted By: JCB

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/17/18 09:31 PM

Probably Ebola.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/18/18 07:22 PM

Did they find any ticks on them? My BIL got bit by a tick while we were over there and we was down for 3 weeks when he got back.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/18/18 09:38 PM

Go to the Doctor. I came back last year with a couple of tick bites. Found that I had a lung infection due to tick bites.
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/18/18 09:56 PM

what part of africa. I have been to south africa 2 times and had no shots. To repeat everyone here there are some bad places over there and I would go to the dr. My bet it the meds and the flight have him all jacked up.
Posted By: LBG Safaris

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/19/18 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: HorizonFirearms
what part of africa.

As HorizonFirearms asked, WHAT PART OF AFRICA.
He could have anything from Malaria, Tick-bite fever Cholera or who knows, it all depends where he has been.
The guy needs to go to a Dr.....there is no question about it.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/19/18 09:51 PM

He finally saw a Doctor and is on an antibiotic regimen.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/19/18 10:31 PM

Good news, and thank goodness. 'Hope he's tickety boo real soon.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/20/18 01:56 AM

One of my friends whose hunted there for many years baths in flea and tick shampoo while he's there.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/20/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
One of my friends whose hunted there for many years baths in flea and tick shampoo while he's there.

You need to be careful with that as human skin is different.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Africa Hunters - 07/21/18 07:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunt Dog
He finally saw a Doctor and is on an antibiotic regimen.

Did he say what it was?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum