Texas Hunting Forum

Would you rather......A or B?

Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 07:28 PM

Interesting discussion sparked up round the fire on a past hunt. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

This is over an 8 to 10 day hunt

Would you rather....

A) Stay in one lodge your entire trip, hunt one area that has 50% of the animals you wish to hunt. But then drive back and forth on a 4 hour round drive to hunt the other 50% of your targeted animals staying at the same lodge.

OR

B) Stay in one lodge for say 5 days and hunt one area for 50% of your animals, then take a 4 hour straight one way drive to another lodge and hunt the other 50% of your animals on one property, remaining at the second lodge for the rest of your trip?

Appreciate it.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 08:01 PM

Definitely B for me. I would rather make the other trip one time instead of back and forth several times.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 08:19 PM

Any cost difference, if not B.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 08:33 PM

B.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 09:04 PM

B.
Seems like a no-brainer. confused2
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
Definitely B for me. I would rather make the other trip one time instead of back and forth several times.

This.

One of my favorite things is coming in the gate of a ranch, and not crossing that gate opening again, until it is time to go home.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 10:47 PM

B
Posted By: tlk

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 10:53 PM

when we hunted Africa we spent first few days in a very nice set up - comfortable and a controlled setting. Then we traveled a day to reach a million acre concession - slept in tents -

two set ups were polar opposite. We had our wives with us - it was the perfect trip. Experienced being in a comfortable set up and a challenging set up - was awesome

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
when we hunted Africa we spent first few days in a very nice set up - comfortable and a controlled setting. Then we traveled a day to reach a million acre concession - slept in tents -

two set ups were polar opposite. We had our wives with us - it was the perfect trip. Experienced being in a comfortable set up and a challenging set up - was awesome

What country did you hunt?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:20 PM

I am going for the hunting not the accommodations. The more time spent hunting is the key for me, so B.

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

What country did you hunt?

First hunt the typical South Africa plains game - second hunt in Namibia - Kudu and Gemsbuck there - very cool hunt

If I were by myself I would do Namibia only - with a spouse the South Africa blended in softened it all somewhat for the better half

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I am going for the hunting not the accommodations. The more time spent hunting is the key for me, so B.

then go Namibia all the way IMO

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:27 PM

Never would be a trip for me since I have never had any interest in hunting over there.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:29 PM

B.

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:34 PM

Never would be a trip for me since I have never had any interest in hunting over there.

Namibia specifically? Or Africa in general? just curious
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:37 PM

B

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:46 PM

Namibia specifically? Or Africa in general? just curious

Africa period.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:56 PM

B

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/17/18 11:58 PM

I thought the same until I took the trip. It was way more than a hunting trip. It gave perspective of how different our world is - I would not want to take the trip multiple times but it was certainly one of the best trips we have ever taken. The people and culture is fascinating. New Zealand was the only trip comparable.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 12:04 AM

Same here.

I never gave a hoot about Africa either, but decided to try it. Been to SA once, Namibia 3 times and I prefer Namibia by a mile....not even close. It is an absolutely unbelievable experience.

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 12:10 AM

I thought the same until I took the trip. It was way more than a hunting trip. It gave perspective of how different our world is - I would not want to take the trip multiple times but it was certainly one of the best trips we have ever taken. The people and culture is fascinating. New Zealand was the only trip comparable.

I went to NZ to hunt and might would go back someday. About 4 yrs ago now I was offered a free trip by a friend to Africa to do a 20 or 21 day photo tent camp safari in two of the large national parks in Kenya and Tanzania. He was taking a small group to see the country and wildlife all expenses paid. He had made several trips to hunt just wanted others to experience it without hunting. He was then taking 3 of the group to go hunting(only two hunters) and paying for the airfare but not the hunting in South Africa. He told me all I would have to pay for is the animals I shot and then getting them back to the USA. That would have been the cheapest way for me to ever go hunt Africa. I turned the trip down since I was not interested in hunting in Africa. The photo trip was very interesting but still not enough to get me on a plane to fly to Africa. Just not anything I have ever wanted to do. I have several friends who have been multiple times and always enjoy their pics and videos of their hunts. I would rather hunt a Mule Deer or Moose.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 01:19 AM

B
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 02:45 AM

B
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 12:18 PM

B...…..
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 12:32 PM

I went to NZ to hunt and might would go back someday. About 4 yrs ago now I was offered a free trip by a friend to Africa to do a 20 or 21 day photo tent camp safari in two of the large national parks in Kenya and Tanzania. He was taking a small group to see the country and wildlife all expenses paid. He had made several trips to hunt just wanted others to experience it without hunting. He was then taking 3 of the group to go hunting(only two hunters) and paying for the airfare but not the hunting in South Africa. He told me all I would have to pay for is the animals I shot and then getting them back to the USA. That would have been the cheapest way for me to ever go hunt Africa. I turned the trip down since I was not interested in hunting in Africa. The photo trip was very interesting but still not enough to get me on a plane to fly to Africa. Just not anything I have ever wanted to do. I have several friends who have been multiple times and always enjoy their pics and videos of their hunts. I would rather hunt a Mule Deer or Moose.

I have hunted NA extensively and have never had a burning desire to go to Africa either. My thinking is that I don’t have time to do everything right now and need to get my mountain hunts done while I still can. It is apparent to me that Africa hunts don’t require a lot of physical challenge and I can do them later if the Good Lord lets me stay around awhile.

That said, my wife and I are planning to go in the next 3-5 years. I’m starting to look forward to it. Should be a fun adventure.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 01:45 PM

Me too. B all the way and that is they same type (2 location) hunt I did on a 16 day trip to Argentina/Patagonia.
Africa is on my bucket list (probably 3-5 year out) still.
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 01:51 PM

Glad to see I am not alone in having no desire to hunt Africa.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
B.
Seems like a no-brainer. confused2
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 04:21 PM

B
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 04:43 PM

B
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 05:34 PM

B
Posted By: Team Hillbilly

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/18/18 07:27 PM

"B"
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/20/18 02:01 AM

B
Posted By: Stub

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/20/18 10:58 AM

Alex I will take B for a $1,000 please up
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/20/18 02:55 PM

Seems like Nog nailed it with the No Brainer admonition. 4 hours wasted every day for 5 days to get to the "Other Hunt Area" IMO is a giant waste of On the Ground time.
Ron
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/20/18 03:40 PM

This.
Posted By: jwb

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/20/18 07:40 PM

B

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/21/18 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: deerfeeder
Glad to see I am not alone in having no desire to hunt Africa.

I respect that - just hate to see anyone miss out on the experience of a place on the opposite side of the world that is pretty special. I did not even need to hunt - the trip alone was awesome

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/21/18 01:31 AM

Depending on where and what you hunt in Africa (not just the country of South Africa) there are some physically demanding hunts. Not mountain sheep physically demanding, but still, not any and everyone can do them.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/21/18 02:20 AM

A. I like being a passenger in Africa. To me road time and seeing new properties and farms is fun. My last hunt in Africa most of the animals were taken on farms as far away as 3 hours. The PH I was hunting with was a wealth of knowledge and he would point out stuff and explain why things are that way.
Posted By: okokmoon

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/22/18 05:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Any cost difference, if not B.

what he said.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/22/18 10:06 AM

Appreciate all the responses, seems B has it. I agree with the majority, more time spent hunting in the bush and less driving however with so many species in the Eastern Cape and diverse vegetation some driving is expected. There isn't a single place in the Eastern Cape that has ALL the species on one property, if anyone says other wise BEWARE.

Simple scenarios like this also highlight how flexible and adaptable an Outfitter has to be. And in most cases (not all) scenario A is standard procedure for some Outfitters. So talk with your Outfitter before hand, ask them questions about different properties, driving distances, other lodges you could stay at, it all adds up to making your trip even better!

Thanks again
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Would you rather......A or B? - 06/23/18 01:22 AM

Neither one would bother me if they both have the animals Im looking for. I probably will never go to Africa to hunt but I imagine if I did, I would probably prefer to stay at one lodge for the duration.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum