Texas Hunting Forum

Snake sticks

Posted By: Wytex

Snake sticks - 04/26/18 04:49 PM

Have this new snake tong coming in today for use at the ranch we manage, prairie rattlers. Any of you have them, how do they work for you?
We relocate the snakes or just move them from out of our way if possible. Our prairie rattles rarely get longer than about 4 ft but we do have a couple of 68 inchers skinned out from years ago.

http://www.fnova.net/proinfo.aspx?id=16
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Snake sticks - 04/26/18 04:59 PM

I have one similar to that one, same length but no lock. It works well and I always wished it had a lock on it. I have used it on rattlers over 5' with no problem, any longer stick makes it difficult to hold up the weight of the larger snakes.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Snake sticks - 04/26/18 05:11 PM

I bought mine about 18 yrs ago from Maverick Trading Post in the DFW area. My snake catcher is about 4.5' in length and made very similar just not with the serrated jaws.

Posted By: dredd

Re: Snake sticks - 04/26/18 06:50 PM

I picked up a new one a couple of months ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZH6TPT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Snake sticks - 04/27/18 12:13 AM

I’ve used the tongs before, but usually preferred a hook for relocating or keeping.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Snake sticks - 04/27/18 02:49 AM

My snake stick says Remington 870 on it.

M
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Snake sticks - 04/27/18 03:11 PM

I made one out of an old ski pole and small cable. Just a noose type catcher..
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Snake sticks - 04/27/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MClark

M

roflmao
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake sticks - 04/27/18 11:18 PM

M
whip
Posted By: AddicLee

Re: Snake sticks - 04/28/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: dredd

Thx
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Snake sticks - 04/28/18 09:44 AM

I sharpen up my tool regularly and it makes it easier to "relocate" the snakes.

Re: Snake sticks - 04/28/18 02:08 PM

We have a hook also but thought tongs would work best in some instances.

Can't believe all you big 'ol guys are afraid of a little snake.

Re: Snake sticks - 04/28/18 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
We have a hook also but thought tongs would work best in some instances.

Can't believe all you big 'ol guys are afraid of a little snake.

It is nice to have both.

Re: Snake sticks - 04/28/18 03:47 PM

I think tongs will be an advantage when we move the little guys too. We were getting one out of the highway one time and that little 16-18 in" bugger could propel itself off of the hook. It was the most aggressive one we've ever moved.

Unfortunately folks up here like to cut the rattles off and leave the snake alive, makes for some jumpy encounters when they can't buzz to warn you.Those snaKes sometimes get sacrificed.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Snake sticks - 04/30/18 09:03 PM

If there are enough of them around you need to "relocate" them last years dove loads really work well. Water Moccasins always get the benefit of #8 shot if I see them! I have a snake hook I made out of a 4 inch wide paint roller on a 4 foot extension handle. Took the roller stuff off of it and it works just fine. I will say I quit fooling with them (snakes) a couple years ago. The truth is I don't fear the snakes I just don't like them around my dogs or kids.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake sticks - 05/01/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I’ve used the tongs before, but usually preferred a hook for relocating or keeping.

I carry a pair of the cheap grabbers for small snakes....only use hooks for any snake big enough to use them

Re: Snake sticks - 05/01/18 02:28 PM

Here's what we're dealing with, some nice prairie rattlers. They are not very aggressive by nature and eat lots of mice and rats, good thing for the remote ranch. The hook works well on these snakes but hoping tongs make moving them a little easier. They are usually anywhere from 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 ft long. These are all different snakes in different places on the ranch and road in. Spouse handles them pretty well as is just looking for the right tools for the job.

Re: Snake sticks - 05/01/18 11:32 PM

Nice pictures.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Snake sticks - 05/01/18 11:41 PM

Saw these at Walmart today. Would work for catching and moving snakes, just no sure how long they would last. They show a lot more options on their website.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Folding-Pick-...acher/195970785
Posted By: dredd

Re: Snake sticks - 05/01/18 11:43 PM

Super looking guys!

Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake sticks - 05/02/18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Nice pictures.
X2....beautiful snakes!

Re: Snake sticks - 05/02/18 02:27 PM

These prairie rattlers are not aggressive and that's why we relocate, lots of mice and rats for them to help out with.
We keep the house a rattler free zone, a big bull snake takes of business there.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Snake sticks - 05/02/18 07:03 PM

I have a pair like STX. Don't like the serrated jaw on the ones you posted, it's easy to hurt a snake with regular tongs that don't have teeth.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Snake sticks - 05/02/18 07:27 PM

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Snake sticks - 05/03/18 09:46 AM

I made my own out of a mop handle, fence staples and a piece of cord. It works.

Re: Snake sticks - 05/03/18 01:33 PM

The serrated jaws are not sharp by any means , just a raised surface to help hold the snake. We've never hurt one when we didn't mean to so we'll be careful first use. They actually keep the jaws from crushing the snake. Most get hurt when folks freak out over their escape attempts.
Not our first rodeo on snake removal.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: Snake sticks - 05/03/18 08:17 PM

Nice looking snake you found.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Snake sticks - 05/04/18 07:57 PM

I'm with many others on here -- if it's not poisonous then it can help out with rats, mice, and the like. Poisonous ones gotta go for the sake of dogs, kids, and me without snake boots.

I'm sure most of you have heard, but rattlers down here are getting to where they don't rattle in some cases due to pigs. That makes me not want to take a chance with another encounter down the road where I get no warning
Posted By: Blank

Re: Snake sticks - 05/06/18 09:02 PM

I got acquainted with my first Mojave Green rattlesnake in Northern Arizona last week. Beautiful, but dumb enough to take up an offensive position in front of my Kawasaki Teryx

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Snake sticks - 05/07/18 09:48 PM

I’m loaded with pigs. Seeing very few snakes
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Snake sticks - 05/10/18 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
These prairie rattlers are not aggressive and that's why we relocate, lots of mice and rats for them to help out with.
We keep the house a rattler free zone, a big bull snake takes of business there.

The tongs should be a great idea for you. Ive hunted snakes more than long enough and while a hook is good for lifting them, I found pinning a Prairie Rattler with a hook to pick him up is a BAD idea! OTOH Pacific Diamondbacks nearly always hold perfectly still when you pin them..I dont know about the big western diamondbacks but I hope to find out soon!

Re: Snake sticks - 06/04/18 01:17 PM

Finally got to put them to use. Got this little guy out of the roadway, his tail had been run over. Tongs work great for holding the snake without much pressure.

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Snake sticks - 06/04/18 01:24 PM

I relocate them too. I have the tongs from Maverick trading post and a homemade one I found on my hill a few years ago. The homemade one is made just like Mavericks, I've had the ranch since 1998 so someone left them before then. They still work great.

Re: Snake sticks - 06/05/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: ETexas Hunter

M

roflmao
I was curious as to how long
Posted By: okokmoon

Re: Snake sticks - 06/06/18 08:16 AM

I’ve use snake sticks in the past...We have a wildlife bloke that is an expert in handling snakes so we call him. Considering that something like nine of the ten most deadly snakes in the world call Australia home I would point blank refuse to go near one.
Posted By: kweber

Re: Snake sticks - 06/06/18 09:31 AM

F----- up as a snake under a lawn-mower
was my German G-moms answer...
she'd run over anything w/her rider...

Re: Snake sticks - 06/22/18 08:10 PM

New tongs are working out great. Spouse likes the way they hold without crushing and the snakes seems to not panic or strike.

Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Snake sticks - 06/22/18 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

roflmao
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Snake sticks - 06/22/18 08:29 PM

Re: Snake sticks - 07/06/18 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: TLew
I'm with many others on here -- if it's not poisonous then it can help out with rats, mice, and the like. Poisonous ones gotta go for the sake of dogs, kids, and me without snake boots.

I'm sure most of you have heard, but rattlers down here are getting to where they don't rattle in some cases due to pigs. That makes me not want to take a chance with another encounter down the road where I get no warning
I walked up on many of prairie rattlers that did not rattle, that was 40-50 yrs ago, not many hogs in S.W. Ks.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum