Texas Hunting Forum

Igloo vs Yeti

Posted By: mattyg06

Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 12:48 PM

The below reply from BOBO to me concerning Igloos vs Yeti's got me thinking.

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Until you stand on or drop a bag of ice in the igloo and crack it out. I don’t think the Yeti prices are justified compared to competing roto coolers though

I did a quick bit of research to see if this was a legitimate concern. So I took my own Igloo 110 qt Maxcold Texas edition and did a quick little test.

As you can see there is no issues with me worrying about standing on the cooler. I didn't have a bag of ice but I am not concerned 20lbs of ice will crack out this cooler if it can support my weight standing in the middle of it.

Then I thought about capacity and price. That cooler I posted can be purchased for $99. As you can see below it also has a sliding and retractable handle which makes moving this cooler easier as it is advertised it requires 50% less effort move than a comparable cooler. The comparable Yeti weighs 40 lbs where this one weighs 25 lbs. So if you account for the less effort due to the handle then this cooler is about 4x easier to move around than the Yeti.

Next I looked at the price. The Yeti 110 costs $500 versus $99 for the Igloo. But in order to make the Yeti comparable to my Igloo then I would need to purchase a wheel and handle kit. These kits go for $100-$200 themselves which kicks the Yeti price up to $650 or about 6.5x more than this little Igloo.

Finally and most importantly I compared the capacity. The Yeti 110 states it can hold 74 cans which is respectable. But my Igloo has a 150 can capacity. This is the most imporant number for me. Would you rather have 74 cans of cold beer over 5 days or have 150 cans of beer over that same time frame? Me... I would rather be prepared and be able to take more than double the amount of beer with me as compared to a Yeti.

So I did a quick calculation on the price per beer. This is where it gets interesting. It costs about 13 x more per can of cold beer to keep them cold when purchasing a Yeti versus an Igloo.

You could buy 5 extra Igloos as replacements for when they do break before you would even spend the amount on a single Yeti. You could end up with 10x the capacity for the price by purchasing the Igloos compared to the Yeti.

I am sure there is a place for them in the market but I would think that in 98% of the situations a cooler is needed a Yeti would be a waste of money while putting you in a precarious position of running about of beer in less than half of the time as you would if you would have just purchased an Igloo.

If anyone cares to look into this cooler it would be well worth your time. Here is a link below.

Igloo Glide 110qt Marine Wheeled Cooler
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 12:52 PM

Good post, Matty!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:04 PM

Pretty interesting, I looked quickly at the Rtic 110, it holds 110 beers and weighs 48 lbs dry. However, the price is $255 right now, regular price is $320.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:16 PM

I've had igloo marine coolers in the past.

i'll stick with my yeti's

latches break, corners crack, lid hinges come off.....reason they are cheaper.

Not a Yeti promoter but a rotomolded cooler is always gonna be better than a igloo cooler

if all you haul in it is beer than by all means, get a igloo. but I rarely put beer in mine
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

Not a Yeti promoter but a rotomolded cooler is always gonna be better than a igloo cooler

if all you haul in it is beer than by all means, get a igloo. but I rarely put beer in mine

X2

And I’ve had many igloo and Coleman coolers crack in the bottom when I toss a 20 lb bag of ice in
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:34 PM

Yeah I’m certain that regular coolers can’t stand up to the roto-molded ones for durability.

I have always said that heavy fishing use (i.e. bay boats) is where the roto-molded coolers shine. IMO about the only application where the cost/benefit analysis weighs out in buying them.

That said, I simply don’t want to mess with a heavy-a** cooler for simple everyday use of keeping drinks cold or a deer in it for a few hours until I take it to the processor. Even on remote hunts I’ve never had any need for half-ton coolers at $500-1200 apiece to haul meat home. Two or three big Igloos or Colemans with some dry ice works fine even for long hauls.

YMMV
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:47 PM

I'm all about the cardboard box with a plastic trash bag liner. The cost is about $2.00 plus another $5.00 in ice. When your finished you just throw it away! No hinges to break, no handles to break, just plan no handles at all! Keeps beer and other drinks cold for hours and not worried about someone stealing it out of the back of the truck!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:55 PM

Good points we have 2 igloo marine coolers but, try to stuff an elk quarter in there without cracking the bottom on the inside.
The liner is not near as thick or indestructible as the Yeti. Took out large marine on a cow elk hunt and it came back with a crack on the inside liner, now after some silicon doesn't leak into the area between layers. Did you throw that marine cooler out of the back of your truck to see how it holds up?

We've had and used the marine coolers for years before Yeti, they work fine but are not the same. However I have never had to pay full price on a Yeti and would not own one if I had to, I have 3.
A 160 Igloo is just as hard to load in a truck when full of elk as a Yeti.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:56 PM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
I'm all about the cardboard box with a plastic trash bag liner. The cost is about $2.00 plus another $5.00 in ice. When your finished you just throw it away! No hinges to break, no handles to break, just plan no handles at all! Keeps beer and other drinks cold for hours and not worried about someone stealing it out of the back of the truck!

Winner Winner
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 01:58 PM

This^

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Wytex
Good points we have 2 igloo marine coolers but, try to stuff an elk quarter in there without cracking the bottom on the inside.
The liner is not near as thick or indestructible as the Yeti. Took out large marine on a cow elk hunt and it came back with a crack on the inside liner, now after some silicon doesn't leak into the area between layers. Did you throw that marine cooler out of the back of your truck to see how it holds up?

We've had and used the marine coolers for years before Yeti, they work fine but are not the same. However I have never had to pay full price on a Yeti and would not own one if I had to, I have 3.
A 160 Igloo is just as hard to load in a truck when full of elk as a Yeti.

I loaded up my Yeti full of ice and a quartered deer and had it in the back of my polaris. Hit the gas a little too hard and the Yeti flew out of the back end onto the corner where the lid and cooler met. Really no damage other than scratches and it didn’t open up. Try that with a cheaper cooler and see how it works out.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: mattyg06
The below reply from BOBO to me concerning Igloos vs Yeti's got me thinking.

Until you stand on or drop a bag of ice in the igloo and crack it out. I don’t think the Yeti prices are justified compared to competing roto coolers though

I did a quick bit of research to see if this was a legitimate concern. So I took my own Igloo 110 qt Maxcold Texas edition and did a quick little test.

As you can see there is no issues with me worrying about standing on the cooler. I didn't have a bag of ice but I am not concerned 20lbs of ice will crack out this cooler if it can support my weight standing in the middle of it.

Then I thought about capacity and price. That cooler I posted can be purchased for $99. As you can see below it also has a sliding and retractable handle which makes moving this cooler easier as it is advertised it requires 50% less effort move than a comparable cooler. The comparable Yeti weighs 40 lbs where this one weighs 25 lbs. So if you account for the less effort due to the handle then this cooler is about 4x easier to move around than the Yeti.

Next I looked at the price. The Yeti 110 costs $500 versus $99 for the Igloo. But in order to make the Yeti comparable to my Igloo then I would need to purchase a wheel and handle kit. These kits go for $100-$200 themselves which kicks the Yeti price up to $650 or about 6.5x more than this little Igloo.

Finally and most importantly I compared the capacity. The Yeti 110 states it can hold 74 cans which is respectable. But my Igloo has a 150 can capacity. This is the most imporant number for me. Would you rather have 74 cans of cold beer over 5 days or have 150 cans of beer over that same time frame? Me... I would rather be prepared and be able to take more than double the amount of beer with me as compared to a Yeti.

So I did a quick calculation on the price per beer. This is where it gets interesting. It costs about 13 x more per can of cold beer to keep them cold when purchasing a Yeti versus an Igloo.

You could buy 5 extra Igloos as replacements for when they do break before you would even spend the amount on a single Yeti. You could end up with 10x the capacity for the price by purchasing the Igloos compared to the Yeti.

I am sure there is a place for them in the market but I would think that in 98% of the situations a cooler is needed a Yeti would be a waste of money while putting you in a precarious position of running about of beer in less than half of the time as you would if you would have just purchased an Igloo.

If anyone cares to look into this cooler it would be well worth your time. Here is a link below.

Igloo Glide 110qt Marine Wheeled Cooler

Lol...First you are standing on a cooler that hasn’t been in the sun or back of a truck for a few hours, in the spring none the less. Do that and get back to me, they eventually break down, especially with more then casual usage in less then a year.

I use to run 4 igloo 120 or 152 coolers on my bay boat(May to aug) and then rotate them out of my truck during hunting season mid (aug to Feb )

I was replacing and or patching 2-4 a year. Since I switch to rotor molded coolers, I haven’t had to replace, patch or one.

So in 6 years(2.5 coolers a year @ $80) that’s $1200 in igloos replacements vs the $1300 in roto molded coolers that are still going strong. That’s not even counting parts and time cutting straps for hinges

It is with out a doubt more economical feasible for me to run roto molded coolers. Now if you have a hard time comprehending it’s because you are casual user of a cooler, and just aren’t going to get it.

Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:20 PM

I have two Igloo Sportsman coolers. They are Rotomolded, an Igloo (made in Texas) and about 1/2 the price of a Yeti.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Winner Winner

Works terrible in a boat or hunting 45 mins from nearest gas station

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:33 PM

Winner Winner

Works terrible in a boat or hunting 45 mins from nearest gas station

Or needing to keep ice for 5 days without replacing/replenishing it.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:35 PM

Yeti sells scratch and dent products from a warehouse in Austin. On most, they will receive more scratches in the back of a truck on the first day than what caused them to go to the warehouse.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
I have two Igloo Sportsman coolers. They are Rotomolded, an Igloo (made in Texas) and about 1/2 the price of a Yeti.

There are some great deals on cheaper options

Grizzly(has LEO/Military discount program)
RTIC - upto 25% off at Bucees and online
Canyon
Bison
Cabelas
Megellen
Engel

Close outs or discounts all the time

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Yeti sells scratch and dent products from a warehouse in Austin. On most, they will receive more scratches in the back of a truck on the first day than what caused them to go to the warehouse.

I thought they sent those to be shredded.. they use too

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:46 PM

Rtic also has scratch and dent deals in their retail store, I think it's 50% off with no warranty.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Rtic also has scratch and dent deals in their retail store, I think it's 50% off with no warranty.

That’s a no brainer!!! That makes Igloos plastic coolers a rip off
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 03:30 PM

Bobo,
it has been a few years since I looked at them, so put a qualifier on my comment. I do not know if they still sell them. The warehouse used to be in East Austin.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 03:36 PM

Bobo,
it has been a few years since I looked at them, so put a qualifier on my comment. I do not know if they still sell them. The warehouse used to be in East Austin.

Can't remember where but I heard they were no longer selling them for some reason.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 03:41 PM

This would be a good deal. RTIC retail store location?

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 03:45 PM

This would be a good deal. RTIC retail store location?

290 and Huffmeister in Cypress.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 03:54 PM

Bobo,

They use to then they stopped and thought the decided to go to shredding them. I could be wrong
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 05:17 PM

Our coolers are over 20 years old and still in good shape. Coleman and Igloo brands, they have lasted because we took care of them. If any of them were to meet their maker and had to be replaced, I would probably make do with another Coleman since they are cheap.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Yeah I’m certain that regular coolers can’t stand up to the roto-molded ones for durability.

I have always said that heavy fishing use (i.e. bay boats) is where the roto-molded coolers shine. IMO about the only application where the cost/benefit analysis weighs out in buying them.

That said, I simply don’t want to mess with a heavy-a** cooler for simple everyday use of keeping drinks cold or a deer in it for a few hours until I take it to the processor. Even on remote hunts I’ve never had any need for half-ton coolers at $500-1200 apiece to haul meat home. Two or three big Igloos or Colemans with some dry ice works fine even for long hauls.

YMMV

we haul gear in the Coolers. I've had sportsmans lockers and igloo's fall off the trailer going up a trail and they are done. the extra insurance of putting fragile stuff in a Yeti is invaluable out in the sticks.

I'm hard on my gear, and initially the thought of paying $400 for an ice chest made me recoil. I was given a couple smaller ones and after using them I can't believe I ever lived without them. for a weekend deer hunter or fisherman, no, they are not necessary.

but for the little more hard core crowd, If your not using a rotomolded cooler, do yourself a favor and check them out.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 05:23 PM

I bought scratch and dents from IceHole coolers out of Kerrville. Paid about 1/3 cost of new ones at the time. One stays in the back of my truck 365 days per year now and it has been there for 5 yrs.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I bought scratch and dents from IceHole coolers out of Kerrville. Paid about 1/3 cost of new ones at the time. One stays in the back of my truck 365 days per year now and it has been there for 5 yrs.

I just looked up the price of those coolers and oh my, there is some sticker shock there.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 05:49 PM

Neither. I like my RTIC. I do think roto mold is the way to go for the long term. Don't like the weight but far superior holding ice for several days.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 06:06 PM

Don't remember which brand of roto mold cooler it was but said it was a certain size but the capacity was much smaller.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 06:17 PM

I forget what I have. Think it's a $60-70 Coleman from Academy. Big enough to fit a quartered deer in. For my uses when I bought it, I just needed something to keep the deer on ice from the lease to my house which was roughly 3 hours away. Now that my lease is only 45 minutes away with a processor that will take it without field dressing or skinned for $70, I wont use that cooler much. But, at the time, that cooler worked perfectly for me. Growing up, we had cheap Igloos. It was a daily ritual while camping to go get a bag or two of ice and dump the water. Never once bothered us.

All that said, for those who need performance or don't have easy access to ice, Yeti's (or Rtic's since Yeti is anti NRA) have their place. Heck, my favorite cup is an Rtic Tumbler! But, for me and I think most users, they don't serve a practical purpose other than convenience, which is hard to put a price tag on for some people, which I respect.
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 06:48 PM

Jeffbird, you are correct. I am not sure if they still do it or not though. I picked up a 75 tundra about 5 years ago doing this. The inside was yellowed and a little off color but it was brand new. Got it for 150 bucks. It didnt come with the warranty but oh well. Its going strong to this day.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 07:14 PM

I have several Igloo Marine 90 qt. and they work very well for me.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/26/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fmrmbmlm
Don't remember which brand of roto mold cooler it was but said it was a certain size but the capacity was much smaller.

It's Yeti. Most cooler models list the number by quart size. A Yeti 45 doesn't mean it's 45 quarts like every other brand. It's a model number. I believe the Yeti 45 is actually a 37 quart cooler.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/27/18 03:43 PM

But you didn't factor in the value, monetary and cool factor, of the Yeti sticker! <kidding>

I agree, mattyg06. That's been my stance since the beginning.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/27/18 06:16 PM

Got a Yeti for xmas keeps ice a lot longer than my igloo.......

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/27/18 06:46 PM

In the end it comes down to what you need and what you are using your cooler for. No different than plenty of other things. If you don't need or want a Yeti, don't buy one. There also isn't a point in knocking those that do. You don't see people getting called out for spending 5k+ on a rifle or 50k+ on a bass boat. Does a $400 rifle or a jon boat work? Sure, but not for every circumstance or for every person. No different than people that have a yeti and those that don't.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 05:29 AM

I have an Igloo Maxcold that I like, however, when I was cleaning it one day, the lid slammed shut and broke one of the cheap plastic-hinge latches off.

That will never happen with my Yeti (which I bought for 60% off). Is it heavy? Hell yes, but it’s also well-built and keeps ice very well. I have no worries about its durability or function. I still use the Igloo when we throw parries, but mostly because of its size (its huge). I still use the Yeti for holding ice at the same parties, but the Igloo because it holds more beer for everyone.

Camping, hunting or when my ice maker broke this winter, I went go with the Yeti.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 09:41 AM

I think the "cool factor" is really the bottom line with Yeti's. A guy has to find some way to show it off when it's being transported for it to "shine". Maybe take your tailgate off your pickup so folks can see the name on your cooler and be assured you are cool and affluent.
Sorta like Timex or Rolex...they will both tell you the time of day....but the "cool factor" is missing with the Timex.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Old Stony
I think the "cool factor" is really the bottom line with Yeti's.

Yes, because performance never comes into play when choosing a product....
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 03:45 PM

That may be true for some, but there are many like myself that don't care about "being cool" LOL. We need heavy use/heavy duty coolers, especially in boats. There is no comparison between a cheap cooler and a roto molded one. I have been through tons of Igloos & Colemans in my life between hunting, fishing, and people sitting on them at get together's etc. I've only broke one Yeti and that was their first model that got discontinued. I'm personally done with Yeti, but no way done with roto molded coolers. I still keep 8-10 Igloo Coolers along with my good coolers for light use. Use them for holding boiled seafood, drinks, transferring meat products & food etc. If I'm donating fresh killed meat to someone I may pack a 48 qt Igloo or two and let them have the whole thing. They're $16 at China-Mart, so I don't care. As said before, if you don't have the need for a heavy duty expensive cooler don't buy one. My good coolers paid for themselves a long time ago. up

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 08:19 PM

I bet the people that hate yeti’s also hate costa sunglasses, danner boots and kuiu clothing

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 08:41 PM

I think the "cool factor" is really the bottom line with Yeti's. A guy has to find some way to show it off when it's being transported for it to "shine". Maybe take your tailgate off your pickup so folks can see the name on your cooler and be assured you are cool and affluent.
Sorta like Timex or Rolex...they will both tell you the time of day....but the "cool factor" is missing with the Timex.

Did you ignore every reason in this thread (and others) that listed why people own Yeti's vs other coolers?

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 09:00 PM

I bet the people that hate yeti’s also hate costa sunglasses, danner boots and kuiu clothing

Kinda a label dropper, aren't you? grin

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

#hatethegamenottheplayer

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/28/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

#hatethegamenottheplayer

clap
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 12:28 AM

How long do you typically need to keep things cold? If you buy a yeti to transport one deer a year from your lease to your house then I agree you most likely don’t need it. But if you are using it frequently (and maybe abusing it) or need to keep something cold for extended times then rotos are nice
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Did you ignore every reason in this thread (and others) that listed why people own Yeti's vs other coolers?

Not ignoring others reasons for adhering to the cool factor. We can all find a way to justify most of what we do, I just don't think we have to buy things just to impress others. I'm not a fan of folks that tattoo themselves from top to bottom, put rings in their noses or whatever to impress others...but to each their own.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 12:56 AM

I have a 7 cubic feet freezer similar to this one. https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-FRF472-Chest-Freezer-Cubic/dp/B00NNWGHBI

It fits in the back of the pickup, it is has been to North Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado New Mexico, Oklahoma and a few other states. We have plugged it on at a quite a few motels on our hunting trips. Offer a few bucks and get a ground floor. Easily ran off of a small generator. Insulated well enough that a few hours without power everything is still safe. I bought this back in the late 1980's or maybe early 1990's. When it was not on hunting trips it was being used in the garage. It cost me a lot less, but todays price is around $200, and as a bonus it makes ice.

Posted By: J.G.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 02:35 AM

Not ignoring others reasons for adhering to the cool factor. We can all find a way to justify most of what we do, I just don't think we have to buy things just to impress others. I'm not a fan of folks that tattoo themselves from top to bottom, put rings in their noses or whatever to impress others...but to each their own.

Here's two instances that led me to first a Yeti, and then two Pelican coolers.

We have large commercial ice makers at every station. They never get emptied, so no one cares when one is emptied, or nearly emptied. Therefore I will fill my coolers up during the shift, for the upcoming hunt, or vacation.

Wife and I go away for 4 days during our anniversary. I would fill a 120 qt cooler only with ice, to replenish the food, and drink coolers we use on the boat. She and I would drag that thing out of the truck, onto the porch and I would leave it in the air conditioned house. After 3 days, it was still mostly water.

Same cooler, same scenario, except between Dalhart and Boise City, OK. It is at least an hour round drip to Texline, TX to get more ice. Cooler in an air conditioned house, and still half melted.

150 qt. Pelican pulling the same duty, only holding ice, and sitting in the sun for 10 days, 75° highs, week long mule deer hunt, and I never had to go to town for ice. 10 days total, and I ended up dumping ice on my yard, so I could put the cooler back in storage.

I could not care less if everyone on the road knows what brand of cooler I have. It is a tool, just like anything else. I can get by with Husky from Home Depot most of the time, but I am not going to pick on a 6 day a week mechanic that uses Mac, Matco, and Snap-On. Same reason my MIG, TIG, plasma, and gas powered welder are all Miller, they are excellent tools.

I do not, and will not put any manufacturer's stickers on my truck, unless they are giving me free products that I belive in.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 04:47 AM

Here's two instances that led me to first a Yeti, and then two Pelican coolers.

We have large commercial ice makers at every station. They never get emptied, so no one cares when one is emptied, or nearly emptied. Therefore I will fill my coolers up during the shift, for the upcoming hunt, or vacation.

Wife and I go away for 4 days during our anniversary. I would fill a 120 qt cooler only with ice, to replenish the food, and drink coolers we use on the boat. She and I would drag that thing out of the truck, onto the porch and I would leave it in the air conditioned house. After 3 days, it was still mostly water.
[/quote]

Yep, do the same. Fill a couple 120's with ice from the big machine at the plant. Go on 3-5 day hunts in the S Texas heat. Some of the same cats talking chit about expensive coolers start running for ice on day two. Nice not to do that anymore. I also ice age a lot of my meat, so a good insulated cooler works really well. No more adding ice every day. I have an ice machine at home I was putting in before the storm hit that I need to finish. Curious to see how much savings there will be running elec & water for machine vs buying when I can't get ice from the plant. When I buy I normally buy 200-250 lbs at a time.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 04:58 AM

I like my Yeti for the durability factor but mine must be defective. I can fill it with ice and 2-3 days later it’s water even if it’s only opened a few times during that entire period.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: z71dustin
I like my Yeti for the durability factor but mine must be defective. I can fill it with ice and 2-3 days later it’s water even if it’s only opened a few times during that entire period.

The smaller the cooler, the less time it retains ice. My Yeti 20 does not last but 48 hours in summer heat. My 50 will go 4 days. My Pelican 80 and Pelican 150 go a week or more.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/29/18 01:36 PM

Same reason I use leupolds, NF, Zeiss and Swaros instead of Buckbusters etc..........

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/30/18 12:11 AM

Why does anyone care what kind of cooler someone else uses?
Posted By: TonyWornick

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/30/18 12:21 AM

Finally!

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/30/18 05:35 AM

Some people like to bitch, and some people know it all.

Start a thread on calibers and shot placement. Expert hunters and guides will come from everywhere.
Posted By: mow

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 04/30/18 09:28 AM

have to admit..i did not read all the posts of this thread..if its been covered..i apologize..but i would quit hunting/fishing..something thats been ingrain into my soul since i was carried on the back of my uncles back when i was 2 years old chasing hounds through the woods while coon hunting..treed a few..lol..before i would give my money to a sorry company that agrees with the freeking liberal left that wants to take my guns away..next to abortion..my 2nd amendment right means alot to me...im a law abiding citizen that has been fighting the negative stigma of ars for years..where does it stop..but i digress..this needs to be in the "bitching" section of thf..i apologize..carry on guys
Posted By: zbot

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/03/18 05:29 AM

The area I like to hunt antelope in is 73 miles from the nearest ice...if the gas station has any. Its close to a national park, so it can be hit or miss in August. Next place is 120 miles. The mountains I hunt elk in are further.

The gas money and time I save in not having to go back to town to replace ice after a kill or even to keep food/water cold is way worth the investment. I don't own Yetis, but have the cheaper brands and bought on sale. I'm not that much over a standard cooler price. Nothing better than getting back to the truck packing out an elk quarter or deer and having an ice cold water.

For the guys icing down beer for a party, yes its a bit overkill but whatever floats your boat smile I use mine for beverages when we host parties and I'm sure it pisses a few folks off, but whatever!
Posted By: Someone

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/07/18 09:58 AM

Igloo has rotomolded coolers

https://www.igloocoolers.com/collections/hard-coolers

also there is South Jetty that is Houston based and some people in a boating site I read have had good luck with them and they have discount codes they list sometimes on that site

also they paid to advertise (post their product in the forum) on that site so they might do the same here as well if the site owner is interested

https://www.southjettycoolers.com/
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/07/18 10:18 AM

I like a cooler that's not heavy and yet will keep ice until I'm most likely to be headed into town for some reason other than to buy ice. Ice is too heavy and cheap to put into a heavy and expensive cooler with a designer label. There are many times when I like to leave a cooler in the bed of my truck when spending time in a restaurant or store. I never worry about someone stealing my $20 Coleman that can keep ice for two or three days.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/07/18 06:59 PM

I have Kodi coolers, HEB's version of a yeti. They are significantly less expensive off the bat and since my wife is an HEB employee I can get 30-40% discount depending on what time of year I buy them. They have been good. I have a 125 and a 38 quart I believe.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

The smaller the cooler, the less time it retains ice. My Yeti 20 does not last but 48 hours in summer heat. My 50 will go 4 days. My Pelican 80 and Pelican 150 go a week or more.

I have a 20 qt Bison and a 52 qt Ozark Trail from Walmart and I've found they both work much better if I put frozen water jugs in them overnight the night before I use them. I've also found my regular Igloo coolers work better by doing that and actually benefit more from it.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

I have a 20 qt Bison and a 52 qt Ozark Trail from Walmart and I've found they both work much better if I put frozen water jugs in them overnight the night before I use them. I've also found my regular Igloo coolers work better by doing that and actually benefit more from it.

Yes Sir!
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 12:43 AM

But do ya get a sticker with IGLOO ?

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Originally Posted By: Grizz

Yes Sir!

So y’all don’t use a cooler much then. I have mine in the truck every day. No way I’m doing that every night.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:10 AM

Comparing an igloo to a yeti is like comparing a Shelby mustang to a Kia Rio

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

Some people like to bitch, and some people know it all.

Start a thread on calibers and shot placement. Expert hunters and guides will come from everywhere.

If igloo would come out with a 6.5 creedmore edition cooler it would be lights out
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:15 AM

The smaller the cooler, the less time it retains ice. My Yeti 20 does not last but 48 hours in summer heat. My 50 will go 4 days. My Pelican 80 and Pelican 150 go a week or more. [/quote]

I have a 20 qt Bison and a 52 qt Ozark Trail from Walmart and I've found they both work much better if I put frozen water jugs in them overnight the night before I use them. I've also found my regular Igloo coolers work better by doing that and actually benefit more from it. [/quote]

Yes Sir![/quote]

So y’all don’t use a cooler much then. I have mine in the truck every day. No way I’m doing that every night. [/quote]

Then you are basically doing the same, just keeping the inside
of the cooler cold all the time.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX

I reckon so and it still isn’t very good on ice retention. I filled it with ice a day ago and will have to again tomorrow because it’s already gone.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: PKnTX

I reckon so and it still isn’t very good on ice retention. I filled it with ice a day ago and will have to again tomorrow because it’s already gone.

That doesn't live up to the endorsements.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 01:39 AM

You're right z71dustin, I don't use my coolers nearly that much. I use mine mainly on weekends and not every weekend. But like Pkntx said, using it every day should accomplish the same thing. If yours isn't keeping ice any longer than that it's not working like I would expect it to. My Bison 20 qt keeps ice longer than that, especially if I pre-cool it.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 02:03 AM

Lol, use my coolers all the time and I also keep at least one traitoryeti chained in the back of my truck. Point was that pre-cooling a cooler helps just like pre-heating a thermos does, regardless of brand. I don’t always do it, just when I think I need to...like when I used to run shrimp & fish out of state in the Summer. Truck load of 90-120 qt traitoryeti’s strapped down in the back for days. Pre-cooling them helped with ice retention, and was a good thing

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/08/18 02:04 AM

That’s why I’ve just never been super impressed with them. I love the fact that it can bounce around in a farm truck every day and can get tossed out going down the hwy and last forever but the ice retention isn’t what some people make it out to be, at least with mine. Luckily I have access to a commercial ice machine every day so it’s not a big deal.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/15/18 10:16 PM

I've got Igloo stickers on all my vehicles!

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/15/18 10:21 PM

I went into a worm hole on you tube the other day of people doing those yeti vs. _______ challenges.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/15/18 10:22 PM

This one was pretty interesting: the guy cusses some so watch out who can here you.

Posted By: don k

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/15/18 10:47 PM

I have been thinking which is sometimes dangerous and most of the time pisses people off but what the heck so here goes. Those that buy yetis fall into a couple of groups.#1 You either have more money than you need and just want to get rid of some.#2 You think if you have a yeti people will think you have more money than you really do. #3 your neighbor has one and now you have to have one because he does. It is kind of like going to a store and buying a bottle of water. You can get one for less than a dollar but just think how people will regard you if they see you drinking one that cost $3. If I need an ice chest I get one of the styrofoam ones that cost a dollar or so. It keeps what ever I need cold for as long As I need. I get through and I chunk it. I don't have enough years left to justify a yeti and with mine I don't have to have it locked down in the bed of the truck. So there. This is an old mans opinion of yetis and bottled water.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/16/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
I have been thinking which is sometimes dangerous and most of the time pisses people off but what the heck so here goes. Those that buy yetis fall into a couple of groups.#1 You either have more money than you need and just want to get rid of some.#2 You think if you have a yeti people will think you have more money than you really do. #3 your neighbor has one and now you have to have one because he does. It is kind of like going to a store and buying a bottle of water. You can get one for less than a dollar but just think how people will regard you if they see you drinking one that cost $3. If I need an ice chest I get one of the styrofoam ones that cost a dollar or so. It keeps what ever I need cold for as long As I need. I get through and I chunk it. I don't have enough years left to justify a yeti and with mine I don't have to have it locked down in the bed of the truck. So there. This is an old mans opinion of yetis and bottled water.

Great post . And probably more spot on than many would like to admit. I have a small yeti that was a gift. Would never buy one.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/16/18 03:53 PM

I'm right there with you!...Seems to be a generational thing.
I've had my igloo stolen from the back of my truck one time when we stopped to get some bait, and a jackwagon took the ice chest full of beer and sandwiches....I was mad, not over the ice chest, but because of all the beer and food he took.
Oh yeah, he didn't bother the one that we use for the fish that only had a bag of ice in it.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/16/18 10:01 PM

All three of your examples are basically the same person, when it comes right down to it. I think all of those people are good examples of a lot of things in our society, but there are other types of people that might own a Yeti.

I wanted a roto-molded cooler when I camp or go to the beach, or throw get togethers. When I was about to buy one of the Bisons or RTIC, my brother in law called me and said he had a friend that worked at Yeti and we could buy their stuff for 60% off retail. Well, sign me up for that.

I bought one for 60% off retail and it is great. I never would have purchased a Yeti at full retail, which is why I was looking at the Bisons and RTIC.

There is a reason to buy a roto-molded cooler, but it doesn’t have to be Yeti. I love my Yeti, but I want a bigger one and I will probably go Bison or RTIC.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/16/18 10:18 PM

I have a Pelican, and a Styrofoam throw-away, and everything in between; some resurrected out of someone else's trash. I have too many coolers. I have the same problem with winter hunting coats.

But Don - I don't buy it very often at all, but that Fiji water is the bomb. It does taste amazing. I try NOT to let anyone see me with it. grin I drink tap water mostly.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 12:14 AM

Running a ranch,110 degrees all day, cooler flopping all over, get a good one.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 12:35 AM

My Igloo 5 Day still going strong after around 14 years. I have spent more on parts than I probably paid for it. Has no handles now but holds beer and ice and occasional deer. If I used it daily I would be upgrading. Probably RTIC 65 but they are so dang heavy. 20 lb ice, case of beer and food, it ain't leaving the pickup.

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 04:07 PM

Good god, it’s a ice chest not a freaking Rolex

If an ice chest is a status symbol to someone then they have much bigger problems to worry about.

And if your coveting your neighbors cooler then you need to re-evaluate your self

And people who think that no one is justified in owning a yeti are the same folks who think no one needs a 4x4 truck, leather seats and eating out in restaurants is frivolous
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 04:39 PM

Good god, it’s a ice chest not a freaking Rolex

If an ice chest is a status symbol to someone then they have much bigger problems to worry about.

And if your coveting your neighbors cooler then you need to re-evaluate your self

And people who think that no one is justified in owning a yeti are the same folks who think no one needs a 4x4 truck, leather seats and eating out in restaurants is frivolous

I agree. I have gobs of stuff I don't "need". I think that can be said of most all Americans. In the final analysis, what one chooses to buy is only that person's business. I simply comment on these threads (as I do on many gear threads) for those who are considering buying one and asking about them from a cost/benefits perspective - as the OP was.

Costs: $$$ and weight.
Benefits: Keep stuff cold longer and durability.

It's really as simple as that.

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 04:47 PM

i will get one when I see it on the side of the road...a yeti that is.
Posted By: jimmy nagami

Re: Igloo vs Yeti - 05/17/18 06:54 PM

Pretty interesting,nice post
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum