Texas Hunting Forum

New hunter

Posted By: Jiggamitch

New hunter - 04/10/18 10:34 PM

I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I am recently motivated to start hunting by a rather angry sleeping boar. Scariest moment of my life. I am looking for some help on how to process and handle my own game. I've watched numerous videos, but they all seem to lack the fine detail. Is there a "how to" manual out there? My property has deer, hogs, turkey, squirrel, raccoon, and dove. Thank you in advance!
Posted By: tex70

Re: New hunter - 04/10/18 10:51 PM

welcome
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: New hunter - 04/10/18 10:56 PM

welcome ta texasHF.
Learned from watchen parents, relatives, also workwd in grocier store, cleaning equipment, latter did some of the cuts. Got D- in grammer, so if videos didnt help, confused2 my grammer gonna realy yingyang confuse ya.
flag
Posted By: DH3

Re: New hunter - 04/10/18 10:58 PM

If you have friends that hunt, invite em over and learn from them, hands on, on site.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: New hunter - 04/10/18 11:25 PM

What DH3^ said. It really does take some time to learn - whether you go the "no-gut" method or actual gutting the animal. Continue watching those videos. Gutting is very easy and you can get it down quickly. Skinning and quartering can also be pretty straightforward but it does take practice to do it correctly and not waste meat. Further processing of the quarters/loins/straps takes even more time to learn. Just have a friend who is experienced show you at least a couple of times. Make sure you have good sharp knives, a sharpener and take your time! All too often at deer camps folks look at how quickly and efficiently you gut/skin/quarter an animal. Forget them - take it slow and easy - you don't want to cut yourself, waste meat or contaminate it.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 01:26 AM

Also remember that the Sows are better eating than the boars, especially the big ones 200 plus pounds.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
What DH3^ said. It really does take some time to learn - whether you go the "no-gut" method or actual gutting the animal. Continue watching those videos. Gutting is very easy and you can get it down quickly. Skinning and quartering can also be pretty straightforward but it does take practice to do it correctly and not waste meat. Further processing of the quarters/loins/straps takes even more time to learn. Just have a friend who is experienced show you at least a couple of times. Make sure you have good sharp knives, a sharpener and take your time! All too often at deer camps folks look at how quickly and efficiently you gut/skin/quarter an animal. Forget them - take it slow and easy - you don't want to cut yourself, waste meat or contaminate it.

Well said. Take your time it's your meat so don't rush and make easy mistakes.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 10:59 AM

welcome I forgot my manners.
Posted By: Stub

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 11:02 AM

welcome

Go to Youtube and put this in the search box.

How to field dress a hog without gutting it. up
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 11:23 AM

welcome
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 11:34 AM

welcome

YouTube will have numerous videos on cleaning and processing hogs and deer. Same for proper gun safety. Go to gun and/or archery ranges to practice with the weapons you choose to hunt with.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 11:42 AM

welcome
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 01:49 PM

Yep, find a buddy to show you. If you don't have one who can, invite someone from here to come hunt with you and you'll have dozen's of potential buddies. laugh
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 02:07 PM

welcome
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 08:56 PM

welcome, you will get the hang of it, no. 1, check your county & state hunting regs.
Posted By: PMK

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 10:45 PM

welcome what area are you located?
Posted By: SherpaPhil

Re: New hunter - 04/11/18 11:42 PM

Check out "The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game" by Steven Rinella. Might be just what you are looking for.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: SherpaPhil
Check out "The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering and Cooking Wild Game" by Steven Rinella. Might be just what you are looking for.

This is a great book! Definitely recommend for any new hunters.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 11:37 AM

welcome
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 03:22 PM

welcome
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 09:19 PM

Thank you for all the positive feedback! I have been watching Steven Rinella on Netflix. Located in North Texas. I have an update too. Just now I went to fill my feeder and there was a big hole chewed in the lid. I opened the lid and there was a squirrel inside swimming in my corn. I got to practice a skinning technique I saw on YouTube and it worked great! Thanks again y'all.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 09:30 PM

welcome

You got squirrels so replace lid with a metal one and be sure to add a cage around your thrower if not all ready done. Hogs should give you lots of practice for skinning, I prefer 'no-gutting' method.

Good luck and have fun
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New hunter - 04/12/18 10:10 PM

welcome
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: New hunter - 04/13/18 12:00 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
welcome

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum