Texas Hunting Forum

Not looking good for west Texas.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 11:04 AM

Lost more than half our quail crop due to drought and it hasn't let up yet. I believe we still have enough water in our ponds to last most the summer but we sure could use some rain. Cows really worked over the prickly pear and are still hitting it hard. That's good in a way since they can thin out a thick patch pretty quick but it sure hurts the reserves for next winter. I'm seeing both deer, turkey and javalina's feeding and watering all day long, they're struggling.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 11:09 AM

Hate to hear that.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 11:10 AM

I was just thinking about how dry it is out here, this morning. I don’t remember the last good rain we’ve had.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 11:24 AM

Sorry to hear that, sure wish you had some of what we have gotten this year already.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 01:31 PM

I visited with the LO of the place I hunt/manage out SW from Ozona yesterday. She said all the tanks/caliche pits were dry as of this past weekend and her weather station only recorded .23 inch of rain since she replaced the batteries back in early January. Seems pretty early to be that dry on that place in the 6+ years I've been out there. Hopefully there will be some spring rains soon.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 02:40 PM

At my house, I haven't recorded an inch of rain in total as of today. mad cry
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 02:48 PM

Sad ta hear. Was hired as a water meter reader, when the water rations were going on. Might be why didn't see many quail around in pastures. Some say fire ants played a big role. Lots of things play inta it.
At least Houston has recovered from the flooding of hurricane. FB was a frensey with it. That's all ya seen. Was in texas FB had pop-ups looking for donations, economy income offered ta help with clean-up, needed the income, never did get reply. People back home were angel Prayers for Houston, confused2 then started seeing the responses: "we don't need prayers, we need money". Every one needs money. Worked so could afford PFS. Seen on swamp people the episode were they came & helped out. Their was a convoy of powerlines workers from Minnesota that headed that way ta restore power. up angel Prayers for rain.
Edit: some spelling errors, confused2 then it showed, not allowed ta post.
See if it works this time.
flag
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 02:53 PM

not looking good, talked the farmer that bought our place in S.W.Ks., hasn't had rain in 9months
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 03:20 PM

I'm the opposite here in Alabama. I would like to get a weekend without rain.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 04:03 PM

I'd love to get a weekend without snow.

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 04:21 PM

As pappy says : "money can't buy weather.".
confused2 although, rumor has it, Con's say :
Lib's have a weather machine that causing these
huricanes
flag
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Dry Fire
I'm the opposite here in Alabama. I would like to get a weekend without rain.

East Texas is much the same.....
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 05:56 PM

is it possible to drill a well and fill a trough or tank up for them ?

I got lucky and got one well that produces 15 gpm. and another that can do 18gpm or more on my place....
I am not too worried about drought affecting wildlife water because of the well
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 05:57 PM

West of Ballinger we have been lucky, enough rain for a good cotton crop and our tanks are in decent shape.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear that. Just drying up enough around here for farmers to get in the field. Some have done a little planting but for the most part all are way behind.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 06:19 PM

Havent been south in long enough to know what it looks like down there but don't think we have had any rain to mention.

I was surprised how dry it was around home (san Antonio) when I mowed earlier this week, talk about a dust storm and I was mowing down some pretty lush spring growth. Now that the grass is short again I can see plenty of cracks in the ground and its gotta get pretty dry for our ground to crack where I'm at.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Lost more than half our quail crop due to drought and it hasn't let up yet. I believe we still have enough water in our ponds to last most the summer but we sure could use some rain. Cows really worked over the prickly pear and are still hitting it hard. That's good in a way since they can thin out a thick patch pretty quick but it sure hurts the reserves for next winter. I'm seeing both deer, turkey and javalina's feeding and watering all day long, they're struggling.

There is an excellent article in this month's edition of Sporting Classics discussing a recent discovery that the wipeout of quail is due to an eye parasite. This is a recent discovery. The eye parasite kills up to 90% of a local population - in a matter of weeks. The study made the discovery on quail in West Texas. Memory is that the discovery was made by researchers at Texas Tech.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 07:54 PM

We are dry in the hill country.

The 2 1/2 weeks of drizzle did little for anything other than the wildflowers
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

There is an excellent article in this month's edition of Sporting Classics discussing a recent discovery that the wipeout of quail is due to an eye parasite. This is a recent discovery. The eye parasite kills up to 90% of a local population - in a matter of weeks. The study made the discovery on quail in West Texas. Memory is that the discovery was made by researchers at Texas Tech.

That and no one shoots coons, foxes or hawks anymore
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

That and no one shoots coons, foxes or hawks anymore

I don't shoot hawks, but coons don't get free passes

I heard quails at my place about 3 weeks ago, first time in 4 years

either Texas parks reintroduce them or they're making a comeback

I am buying a bunch of Gambel quails, I may breed and let some go and see
if they can thrive
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 08:38 PM

We are bone dry and the fires are getting pretty bad.

A month ago today we set the record for most consecutive days without moisture and then we got .2”. That’s all we’ve had in the last 130 days
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/16/18 08:49 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm in Cass county in east texas and this is a photo of the road going over the top of my tank dam a couple of weeks ago. I wish I could send ya'll some of this water. I was very very lucking that the whole dam did not wash away.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/17/18 01:17 PM

At our Motley County lease there has been very, very little rain since October. Thankfully there are windmills that keep water in tanks but the vegetation needs some water.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/17/18 03:00 PM

HWY_MAN I hate to hear that. We have been blessed down here to have had a couple of good rains two and three weeks ago. Things are starting to green up.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/17/18 03:15 PM

Been super dry out here at the bottom of the Big Bend too. Hoping May and June will bring some showers to the mountains, both in Mexico and here that will spread over the general area.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/17/18 03:58 PM

Damn just thought you guys were getting rain like us, I'm in Graham.....
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/17/18 11:19 PM

Wish I could send what I've got. I need to plow before the Bermuda really takes off. Still too dang wet.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/18/18 03:09 AM

Did you get any rain today? It looked like storms all across Texas earlier. I pray it gets better for you!!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/18/18 04:29 AM

Lubbock .18” in the last 120+ days. frown

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/18/18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CassCounty
Did you get any rain today? It looked like storms all across Texas earlier. I pray it gets better for you!!

We got to smell it.
Posted By: CassCounty

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/18/18 04:58 PM

We got to smell it.

I pray it gets better.

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/18/18 05:16 PM

We got to smell it.

I pray it gets better.

Our little house on the perrie, sat in the wettest dry county in east texas oh, wait, confused2 they were talken bout something else. bang

Reminds me of the song: Step back non-believers , look over yonder here cones the rain.
flag
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/19/18 07:37 AM

Ouch. We are in Montague so not far west and every pond is full or more. 5-6 years ago nothing. Wish we could send some that way. I noticed all rain has been forming just to our west. Buddies place in Breckenridge very dry so hopefully it lets up.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/19/18 02:26 PM

Range fires burning up around Amarillo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbTTL8zzLwk
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/19/18 02:30 PM

Here is a link on fires that are current or contained.
http://tfsgis.tamu.edu/currentfireactivity/

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/20/18 10:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
Ouch. We are in Montague so not far west and every pond is full or more. 5-6 years ago nothing. Wish we could send some that way. I noticed all rain has been forming just to our west. Buddies place in Breckenridge very dry so hopefully it lets up.

Right now our ponds are in pretty good shape but the pastures are screaming for moisture. Cows are hammering the prickly pear and the rats are chewing the bark off of anything alive. Bunch of pregnant does but they're not looking good. We pretty much lost all of our fawn crop in 2011 due to the drought, if we don't get some moisture we may see it again.
Posted By: don k

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/20/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Right now our ponds are in pretty good shape but the pastures are screaming for moisture. Cows are hammering the prickly pear and the rats are chewing the bark off of anything alive. Bunch of pregnant does but they're not looking good. We pretty much lost all of our fawn crop in 2011 due to the drought, if we don't get some moisture we may see it again.
We are just the opposite. Our ponds are in really bad shape. The springs have dried up but we have been getting little half inch or so rains lately and the pastures are in pretty good shape.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/20/18 02:11 PM

What is this rain y'all are speaking of confused2 Bone dry at home and the ranch.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/23/18 11:33 PM

Weather guy said that a low pressure front is coming out of California and should bring 4 to 6 inches of rain to DFW by next Tuesday. Being it's coming from the west, hopefully west Texas will get some relief from it. angel

Re: Not looking good for west Texas. - 03/24/18 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
Weather guy said that a low pressure front is coming out of California and should bring 4 to 6 inches of rain to DFW by next Tuesday. Being it's coming from the west, hopefully west Texas will get some relief from it. angel

cheers angel Prayers for rain.
In meen time sending some push moweres your way. bang all out of dust pans & broom bolt
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum