Texas Hunting Forum

New feeder Ideas?

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 01:51 PM

We are moving from E Texas to Mason this year. Most of the people on this new lease are running stand and fill 600 lb feeders. Anyone have any suggestions on these type’s of feeders? I was thinking all seasons.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 01:53 PM

Don't have any knowledge of stand-and-fill, but welcome to the hill country. welcome

'Hope your new place gives you many years of good hunting.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 01:56 PM

Alamo wildlife feeder are the absolute best stand and fill I’ve seen and the guy that makes them is on this site. They are basically maintenance and varmint free.
Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 02:18 PM

What type of feeders are you guys using?
Posted By: PMK

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 04:32 PM

if I was buying a stand and fill, I would go with a GreenGo ... GreenGo website
Posted By: 603Country

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 05:32 PM

I have a couple of the stand and fill type feeders, but right this moment I can’t remember the manufacturer’s name. I can’t really fill them with my feet on the ground, so I just pull next to them in my corn carrier (Kubota 900), climb in the back with the corn bags and fill the hopper. They, after 3 seasons, seem maintenance free, but there are minor issues. One hinge on the flip up top of one feeder broke at the weld, and the wire cage around the feeder mechanisms won’t keep out squirrels, so I wrapped all the wire cages with chicken wire and all is good. I wrapped the mechanism access door separately so I could get to the battery and timer.

The spinners on these feeders have the type that are supposed to shut off after spinning out corn, and they worked fine for a time, but then stopped shutting completely closed. The squirrels then had a field day with my corn. I oiled, greased, and lubed them, but they just didn’t reliably close off as designed and marketed. Soooo...I added the chicken wire, which never needs oiling or greasing. All is good now.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 06:16 PM

Everyone has their favorite corn enclosure I'll call it, most of them are equipped with All Seasons timers/motors, so use that comment for what it's worth.

Lots of All Seasons feeders where I hunt.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/22/18 08:33 PM

I have one of those capsule feeders that sets in a tire.....Really like it.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/23/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Alamo wildlife feeder are the absolute best stand and fill I’ve seen and the guy that makes them is on this site. They are basically maintenance and varmint free.

I have a 600lb All Seasons feeder and it has served me well for 3 years.
My only complaint is it has a wire cadge around that doesn't allow the corn to disperse freely.

If I we're in the market for a new feeder, I would spend a little extra and buy an Alamo wildlife feeder as suggested up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New feeder Ideas? - 02/23/18 01:18 PM

1. Alamo
2. Lamco

Stay away from the feeders with wire coon cages. They are ineffective at dispersing corn for multiple animals to feed. This is important where you wil be hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum